Windows 10: Phantom Drives on clean install

Discus and support Phantom Drives on clean install in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been working on a Win10 clean install for a few weeks and this has been a huge uphill battle. Every day I seem to encounter some very weird issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jgt1942, Feb 9, 2016.

1. jgt1942 Win User

Phantom Drives on clean install

I've been working on a Win10 clean install for a few weeks and this has been a huge uphill battle. Every day I seem to encounter some very weird issue and it takes me days/weeks to resolve. Tonight I just encountered several phantom drives.
    In the following image the drives F, J, K, H, L and I are what I think are phantom drives. When I formatted the drives as part of the drive label I include the actual drive letter, thus you can see that the phantom drives have forced some of my drives to a different drive letter than I originally assigned to it. I started the clean install just before the first of the year and tonight is the first time I've seen this issue. In the image in the bottom right corner is the properties of one of the phantom drives. I'm also attempting to restore the SSD boot drive to an earlier image but so far I cannot. I'm using Acronis True Image 2016, I boot into the recovery, start to drill down and find the .tib image, the keyboard and mouse stop responding and the only recourse is to reboot.
    Suggestions would be appreciated.

Phantom Drives on clean install [​IMG]

:)

jgt1942, Feb 9, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Disk drive showing as floppy drive

I installed Windows 10 this afternoon & have just found that i have a phantom floppy drive showing in My PC (My Computer) but not my disk drive.

I went to device manager & the disk drive is there with all drivers installed, operating correctly. But there is also a phantom floppy disk drive installed.

I have tried uninstalling both sets of drives & rebooting but no luck.

Any suggestions?

SaraPorter00, Feb 9, 2016
  3. sadnewbie Win User
    non existing phantom drives listed as Unknown devices in Device Manager

Original title: Phantom drive in Windows 10

OS Windows 10. My computer showed two phantom drives. I tried to eject them through the “Safely remove hardware and eject media” but I never get a list of those drives to remove.

I also tried through the Device Manager> View> Show Hidden Devices> but those phantom drives do not show in the listing, so I can’t uninstall them. It did show a “WPD FileSystem Volume Driver” with a yellow triangle and I clicked to uninstall. Then
    I moved to Disk drives in the same Device manager and it listed one non-existing drive. I clicked on uninstall and after a little time it instructed me to restart the computer which I did by clicking the “restart now’. The computer went to restart and just
    hanged in there, allowed it to work the restart for a couple of hours so I finally did a hard reboot.

When it finally came on, I clicked on the Windows Explorer> This PC. This time it showed only one phantom drive as “Local Disk H:”

Opened again Device Manage> View> Show hidden devices> under disks it only showed the correct disks installed on the PC. Under portable devices showed: Unknown device, so I did uninstall it. Closed the Device manager. No restart request this time.

On Windows explorer it still shows the phantom drive as “Local Disk H:”

Next I went to Disk Management. The window for it came up but although it says “Connecting to Virtual Disk Service,” it never shows anything in spite of letting it work for a couple of hours. I believe the PC gets confused searching for that non-existing
    phantom drive. Also checked under Computer management> Services> Virtual Disk: and it said it was running. Still nothing shows in Disk Management.

The Phantom disk I believe is interfering with the search feature in Windows Explorer since every time I try to find a document it takes too long.

On my frustration downloaded from Microsoft the “Windows installation tool” for my Windows 10 and tried that to see if a repair would get me clear of that non-existing drive. However after doing that repair it still did list the non-existing drive.
    So I tried again with that DVD and did a reinstall of Windows 10. No luck the phantom drive is still there; if I click on it the computer tries to find it and just hangs in there and nothing can be done on it just freezes.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

sadnewbie, Feb 9, 2016
Thema:

Phantom Drives on clean install

1. Phantom Drives on clean install - Similar Threads - Phantom Drives clean

2. Phantom CD drive stays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phantom CD drive stays: I have a phantom CD drive that shows up on my explorer drive list NO MATTER WHAT I have done! I edited the registry. I have used a command prompt "drivecleanup.exe" utility, and a few other items. Windows storage management does not show it, nor does a Belarc Advisor scan,...
  3. Phantom CD drive stays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom CD drive stays: I have a phantom CD drive that shows up on my explorer drive list NO MATTER WHAT I have done! I edited the registry. I have used a command prompt "drivecleanup.exe" utility, and a few other items. Windows storage management does not show it, nor does a Belarc Advisor scan,...
  4. phantom drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    phantom drive: Win10 20H2 build .867. I just rebuilt my computer and changed from MBR 2 GPT. Mostly it is working, except for strange things. In File Explorer I see 3 drives C:\System, E:\,. I cannot access E:. In Disk Management there is no Drive E:. The GPT boot disk shows 2...
  5. Phantom Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Phantom Drive Letters: Ive read all the forum posts and tried using all the various diskpart methods but nothing works. I now have 6 phantom hard drives visible in File Explorer and I am out of drive letters to assign to new drives. They show up in File Explorer as Local Disks, assigned Drive...
  6. phantom F drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    phantom F drive: Will Microsoft Windows 10 delete the phantom F drive with an update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/phantom-f-drive/db0a2586-ea7d-4f02-ac56-2f491037ebe0
  7. Phantom Hard Drive

Phantom Hard Drive: Hi, I just noticed that a new drive appeared on my Desktop and I don't know what it is. In the file explorer it's displayed as SYSTEM (H:). When I try to view it I'm told I don't have permission to do that, and when I click on Continue to gain access I'm again told I don't...
  8. Phantom USB Drive

Phantom USB Drive: Both my Win 10 Pro (production system) and Win 10 Pro Preview versions*list a USB drive (each install is on a separate SSD). There is no USB drive connected and the status code, from what I find, says it is a*"NET" device. I don't have any network connected USB devices. If I...
  9. Phantom Homegroup after Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean install

Phantom Homegroup after Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean install: Hello everyone, My family members and I have upgraded or clean installed to Windows 10 and now every computer thinks there's a homegroup, but there isn't. I have tried every possible solution I could find, but none actually worked. We have 4 Desktops and 1 Laptop (which...
  10. Phantom Drives?

Phantom Drives?: How can I get rid of these "phantom drives"? 18469