Windows 10: phantom F drive

Discus and support phantom F drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Will Microsoft Windows 10 delete the phantom F drive with an update?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alfredferry, Jul 18, 2018.

1. phantom F drive

Will Microsoft Windows 10 delete the phantom F drive with an update?

:)

alfredferry, Jul 18, 2018

2. f drive

Hello Kathy,

Based on the information you have provided in your post; we need to do further investigation. To assist you better, we'd like to know the following:

• Have you tried using a third party software to manage the disk partition?
    • Did you format the drive?

We suggest that you check for the drive in the Disk Management and look if it appears. Follow these steps:

• Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    • Press Windows+R key and type diskmgmt.msc and then click OK.
    Look if the Drive F: appears and check if it is unallocated.

Looking forward to your update.

Marvin Barc, Jul 18, 2018
  3. DarylDFS Win User
    Windows 10 missing F drive

Followed all steps as directed. diskmgmt,msc does not list F: drive and none of the unallocated drives is large enough to be my F: (Samsung SM-G920V). Any brighter ideas?

DarylDFS, Jul 18, 2018
  4. jgt1942 Win User

phantom F drive

Phantom Drives on clean install

I've been working on a Win10 clean install for a few weeks and this has been a huge uphill battle. Every day I seem to encounter some very weird issue and it takes me days/weeks to resolve. Tonight I just encountered several phantom drives.
    In the following image the drives F, J, K, H, L and I are what I think are phantom drives. When I formatted the drives as part of the drive label I include the actual drive letter, thus you can see that the phantom drives have forced some of my drives to a different drive letter than I originally assigned to it. I started the clean install just before the first of the year and tonight is the first time I've seen this issue. In the image in the bottom right corner is the properties of one of the phantom drives. I'm also attempting to restore the SSD boot drive to an earlier image but so far I cannot. I'm using Acronis True Image 2016, I boot into the recovery, start to drill down and find the .tib image, the keyboard and mouse stop responding and the only recourse is to reboot.
    Suggestions would be appreciated.

phantom F drive [​IMG]

jgt1942, Jul 18, 2018
Thema:

phantom F drive

1. phantom F drive - Similar Threads - phantom drive

2. Phantom CD drive stays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phantom CD drive stays: I have a phantom CD drive that shows up on my explorer drive list NO MATTER WHAT I have done! I edited the registry. I have used a command prompt "drivecleanup.exe" utility, and a few other items. Windows storage management does not show it, nor does a Belarc Advisor scan,...
  3. Phantom CD drive stays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom CD drive stays: I have a phantom CD drive that shows up on my explorer drive list NO MATTER WHAT I have done! I edited the registry. I have used a command prompt "drivecleanup.exe" utility, and a few other items. Windows storage management does not show it, nor does a Belarc Advisor scan,...
  4. File path bug showing phantom disk drive named "?" before an actual path

File path bug showing phantom disk drive named "?" before an actual path: This is my first file path bug encounter in Win10 except regular limitations like path length and system symbols in the nameNow I have 3 files that are linked to an unexisting drive "?". I've copied them with other thousands of similar files that are ok from my external FDD....
  5. File path bug showing phantom disk drive named "?" before an actual path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File path bug showing phantom disk drive named "?" before an actual path: This is my first file path bug encounter in Win10 except regular limitations like path length and system symbols in the nameNow I have 3 files that are linked to an unexisting drive "?". I've copied them with other thousands of similar files that are ok from my external FDD....
  6. File path bug showing phantom disk drive named "?" before an actual path

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. "Optimize Drives" shows strange phantom drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Optimize Drives" shows strange phantom drives: Hello,can anyone tell me why lately the Optimize Drives window shows all kinds of drives besides the ones that are really relevant, as e.g. C-Drive, D-Drive, etc.The weird ones could be a card reader with 4 slots, but are not active / no cards inserted.I have also two DVD...
  8. "Optimize Drives" shows strange phantom drives

"Optimize Drives" shows strange phantom drives: Hello,can anyone tell me why lately the Optimize Drives window shows all kinds of drives besides the ones that are really relevant, as e.g. C-Drive, D-Drive, etc.The weird ones could be a card reader with 4 slots, but are not active / no cards inserted.I have also two DVD...
  9. phantom drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    phantom drive: Win10 20H2 build .867. I just rebuilt my computer and changed from MBR 2 GPT. Mostly it is working, except for strange things. In File Explorer I see 3 drives C:\System, E:\,. I cannot access E:. In Disk Management there is no Drive E:. The GPT boot disk shows 2...
  10. Phantom Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Phantom Drive Letters: Ive read all the forum posts and tried using all the various diskpart methods but nothing works. I now have 6 phantom hard drives visible in File Explorer and I am out of drive letters to assign to new drives. They show up in File Explorer as Local Disks, assigned Drive...