Windows 10: Phantom language input methods cannot be deleted

Discus and support Phantom language input methods cannot be deleted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; At one point I added a Greek polytonic keyboard method but had deleted it long ago. However it still shows up at lower right corner and can be switched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jvdx90365, May 27, 2016.

1. jvdx90365 Win User

Phantom language input methods cannot be deleted

At one point I added a Greek polytonic keyboard method but had deleted it long ago. However it still shows up at lower right corner and can be switched into. I tried time and language setting and control pannel change language preference menu but Greek does not show up in the menu, so I failed to delete it.

:)

jvdx90365, May 27, 2016
  2. Jessen P Win User

Cannot Change Language Input Method

Hi William,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

Did you make any changes in Surface Pro 4 before the issue?

I would request you to perform DISM and then check if you can switch input languages.

a: Press Windows key + X.

b: Then click Command prompt(admin)

c: Now type the following command and hit enter:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Important When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions. However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, use a running Windows installation as the repair
    source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files

Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, May 27, 2016
  3. williamj6 Win User
    Cannot Change Language Input Method

I've got a surface pro 4 purchased in Taiwan in Traditional Chinese language. I changed the display language to English while keeping my input language in both English and Traditional Chinese. Been working in this way for a few month until today when
    I boot up my laptop I realize I cannot switch input languages anymore. Even the language tool bar won't display (in taskbar or floating). I removed English input method and change to Traditional Chinese as default for display and input, it displays in
    Traditional Chinese alright, but still no way for inputting Traditional Chinese.

What is going on???? How can I fix this?

Thanks!

williamj6, May 27, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Common problem.

Do this from setting menus, not control panel

1) Add greek language and set as default.

2) Click on options and add your keyboard and delete greek keyboard (if this is different to the one you are seeing, I guess you could try to add it here, reboot then delete it).

3) Now select your normal language, make default and remove Greek language.

Note: for bizarre reasons, the phantom keyboard will probably annoyingly reappear at random.

cereberus, May 27, 2016
  5. jvdx90365 Win User
    Thank you. The problem is solved.

jvdx90365, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Phantom language input methods cannot be deleted - Similar Threads - Phantom language input

2. How to delete a keyboard input method

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete a keyboard input method: I have Windows set to English, but my keyboard is Spanish. I would like to remove the English keyboard input method but I can't, it is quite annoying as every time I restart the PC the default input method is English and I have to change it....
  3. How to delete Ekaya Input Method

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to delete Ekaya Input Method: I have previously installed something called Ekaya Input Method. https://thanlwinsoft.github.io/www.thanlwinsoft.org/ThanLwinSoft/Ekaya/ However, as shown in the attached image, the input method appears in the language switch bar. I often find that the input method is...
  4. Input Method cannot be opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Input Method cannot be opened: Recently, my windows 11 cannot switch input method after login. Question desription1. There is no UI about input method in the task bar near the time.2. The UI is shown when logining account, but missing after login an account.3. I have tried to ues another account to login...
  5. Input Method cannot be opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Input Method cannot be opened: Recently, my windows 11 cannot switch input method after login. Question desription1. There is no UI about input method in the task bar near the time.2. The UI is shown when logining account, but missing after login an account.3. I have tried to ues another account to login...
  6. To remove unwanted language input methods.

To remove unwanted language input methods.: Hi all, I have a Windows 10 Home, version 20H2. I've seen similar problems on the posts that posted 2 years ago on older version of Windows 10. There's still nothing I can do to remove the extra input languages. My question is how to remove those extra input methods?...
  7. Problem with language bar and input method

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with language bar and input method: Hi everyone, I have a little problem that is driving me nut, and I have no idea where to search to find solutions about it. First here is my "winver" window: [ATTACH] When I do Windows key + Space key, I got this menu that shows up: [ATTACH] As you probably know, that's...
  8. Superfluous input method in language bar

Superfluous input method in language bar: Hello! I've just installed Windows 10 May 2019 Update and encountered the following problem: 3 languages are displayed in the language bar instead of 2 (see the picture below - United Kingdom keyboard is unnecessary). On the other hand I see only 2 languages in the "Language"...
  9. 1803: Cannot change/remove input methods/languages?

in Windows 10 Support
    1803: Cannot change/remove input methods/languages?: Hello everyone, I have 4 languages installed, but only want 2 of them as input methods (keyboard). In previous Windows 10 versions, there was a Language section in the Control Panel where input methods could be removed. This section has been removed in 1803, and there's...
  10. Remove input method without removing language?

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove input method without removing language?: I have an Italian installation of Windows 10 Pro 1511, and I also have the Japanese IME and, thus, Japanese language installed in the control panel, BUT I needed to install English (UK) too, because all the Store apps that didn't support Italian used Japanese instead of...