Windows 10: Phantom User Account

Discus and support Phantom User Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I upgraded my ASUS QF550/Windows 8.1 to Windows 10/Threshold II after the MS invitation. I'm also using ESET Smart Security. The upgrade... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ratsenji, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Ratsenji Win User

Phantom User Account

Hello,

I upgraded my ASUS QF550/Windows 8.1 to Windows 10/Threshold II after the MS invitation. I'm also using ESET Smart Security.

The upgrade went smoothly and my computer is running better than ever. However, I've noticed that a mysterious phantom user account keeps appearing on my user list. I have a secure network and have changed the network and MS passwords since this began happening, yet the user account "ttnmlwzzn" still appears. Never any files or activity on it. Once deleted, after several sign-ins by me, it reappears. I am the only user and have administrator authority but I can't seem to permanently delete it.

My questions are: Is this something that is being added by Windows 10 and is this something to be concerned about? Is there some trick to getting it to remain deleted? Doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it's a bit annoying.

:)

Ratsenji, Feb 15, 2016

2. ESET wants me to open a Phantom Account. Is this safe and how will I delete this account?

Eset's Anti-Theft protection creates a Phantom Account (random-named user-account) to protect your real user accounts and help to recover your device if it ever is lost or stolen. Enabling the Phantom Account will provide a notification
    about suspicious activity on your computer to be sent to your email anytime that someone logs in to this account. The phantom account is required to fully utilize all of the Anti-Theft features.

quietman7 - MVP, Feb 15, 2016
  3. Windows 10 has phantom user's account

Vjay B,

Im having the same issue.

To your questions:

1. The activity "user logoff" occurs at start up and disappears. This did not occur with Windows 8 or Windows 7 or Windows XP, or Windows 98 or Windows 95 or Windows 3.0. The Phantom user issue only occurs on the Windows 10 the free software download.

2. Mcafee provided by AOL.

3. The phantom user account is not listed under control panel account settings. The only user account is the administrator account set up when I downloaded the free software. Maybe thats why some are calling this a Phantom User.

If I can add another question? Should I uninstall Windows 10?

Tim9632587459685588558585, Feb 15, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

Phantom User Account

What "user list" are you talking about specifically? Where exactly do you see this extra account?

There is "User Accounts" applet in Control Panel. There's "Users" list in Computer Management applet. There is user list that drops down from your name in Start Menu (if you have Fast User Switching enabled). There is user list on Welcome screen (for interactive users). There is a list of user profiles in Advanced System Settings... Etc etc etc.

Do you see that mysterious user in all of these places? Some of them? Just one of them?

Anyway, what you are seeing must be this

oymlgoleopw user account - ESET Beta Products for Home Users - ESET Security Forum
    Unknown User Account - ESET Smart Security - ESET Security Forum

The account is created by Anti Theft feature of ESET Smart Security, if you have that feature enabled.

AndreyT, Feb 16, 2016
  5. Ratsenji Win User
    Yes to all but the drop down user list in the start menu. I do have the ESET anti-theft feature enabled. That would explain it. Thanks for the info and links.

According to ESET, the account should not appear on the log-on page, but it does. I'll recheck the settings.

Glad to see I'm not the only person experiencing this. A bit alarming first time you see something like that on the user list, but now that I know what it is - and that it's benign, I won't worry about it. You've been very helpful. Thanks.

Ratsenji, Feb 16, 2016
  6. AndreyT Win User
    It could be a consequence of another old Windows bug.

Your user account, under which you use your computer and observe this issue: is it an account with administrator rights? Or is it a normal non-administrative account?

AndreyT, Feb 16, 2016
  7. Ratsenji Win User
    I haven't noticed it on the non-admin user account, but I haven't looked for it from there, either. WIll try that and see.

Can you tell me more about this old bug?

Ratsenji, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Phantom User Account

1. Phantom User Account - Similar Threads - Phantom User Account

2. Get rid of phantom user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get rid of phantom user?: According to all of the This PC folders there is a phantom user on my computer. Every folder there says it's deejh that is the user. However, I went into Command Prompt as an administrator and this is what it says are the users on my Lenovo:As you can see, there as no user...
  3. Get rid of phantom user?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get rid of phantom user?: According to all of the This PC folders there is a phantom user on my computer. Every folder there says it's deejh that is the user. However, I went into Command Prompt as an administrator and this is what it says are the users on my Lenovo:As you can see, there as no user...
  4. Phantom User Attached to Admin Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Phantom User Attached to Admin Account: Hi there.I've been ignoring my annoying phantom account for years now. Finally time to sort this out.I seem to have an account attached to my main admin account which windows defaults to when trying to sign in. I have to click on the only other account and enter my password.I...
  5. W10 Phantom user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    W10 Phantom user account: I recently had a catastrophic failure of my SSD C drive. I'm up and running and working fine. My main user account is "Thomas Lowe" but there is another user account listed on the C drive as "tom". Now when I install software the settings are often stored in the appdata...
  6. Error on Startup with Phantom User Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error on Startup with Phantom User Account: Hi Community, I am looking for an answer to my interesting issue. Whenever I startup my desktop PC, there is a profile that the system tries to log into. It fails (as it was my fathers older computer) and he has since changed his passwords and such). We removed his...
  7. Phantom account help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Phantom account help: Hello, Recently a new account has been showing up on my computer that I did not create. The account goes by the name of "Jeff". The account is not password protected and when I log into it, it goes through first time set up. I have deleted this "Jeff" account multiple times...
  8. User Profiles vs User Accounts - Phantom Account is Mucking Up Log-In

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profiles vs User Accounts - Phantom Account is Mucking Up Log-In: Hello, I just upgraded a laptop to Windows 10. I wanted to get rid of the Admin Privileges dialogue boxes and questions - 1 account, always Admin, never prompted about it. I also wanted to get rid of all password prompts and lockscreens. Essentially, I want a laptop I can...
  9. How to Delete Phantom User Account?

How to Delete Phantom User Account?: I have what seems to be a phantom User Account in my Users Folder. It is not listed when I go to Settings/Accounts but it is showing up in Windows Explorer. It has one of my APP DATA Folders, as well. How do I delete what seems to be an unnecessary Account Folder? 112509
  10. Phantom local account

Phantom local account: I'm trying to setup winows 10 media PC with just a local account an no password required during login However, whenever the "no password" option is set on netplswiz two users with the same local account show up in the startup screen. You then need to select one to get in....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows phantom user

2. windows 10 phantom account at startup

3. eset phantom user