Windows 10: Phone scam

Discus and support Phone scam in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't know where to post this, but for the last 4 days our house has been getting a robot phone call that is a scam. The message states that I am due... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bha19, Feb 27, 2018.

1. bha19 Win User

Phone scam

I don't know where to post this, but for the last 4 days our house has been getting a robot phone call that is a scam. The message states that I am due a refund from Microsoft refund department because I ordered something from a third party that went out of business so Microsoft has to contact me instead. 1st flag is I never ordered anything that I never received. 2nd flag is I have owned Microsoft products since dos was out and Microsoft never tried to call me, but if they did I doubt they would leave a robot to call me. Also if I thought the massage was legit there was not enough time to grab a pencil and write down the 1-800 number. Anyhow don't fall for this scam if it happens to you and hope the calls stop soon.

:)

bha19, Feb 27, 2018
  2. CarolLJ Win User
    CarolLJ, Feb 27, 2018
  3. MikeChmaj Win User
    Phone Scam

See above message

MikeChmaj, Feb 27, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

Phone scam

spunk, Feb 27, 2018
  5. Winuser Win User
    Winuser, Feb 27, 2018
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "Free and no ads. I wonder how they can afford to operate?"

They sell monthly subscriptions to cell phones.

mrgeek, Feb 27, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    I've used NoMoRobo for 4 or 5 years. They work with my VoIP phone and my cellphones. The service providers are happy to pay them because they cut down on bandwidth consumption. These days, I always wait to hear if a call will ring twice before I even *think* about picking up. NoMoRobo catches most robocalls after the first ring. They're also good about adding numbers to their database, so I religiously report new robo callers and solicitors.
    Just sayin'...
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 27, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Phone scam

I now get no more weird foreign voices claiming to be from Microsoft's technical dept and many other such scams. We have been inundated with rubbish calls- before I added a call blocker device this reached 6 or 7 a day.

In the UK service providers have added a new free service that means callers are challenged to leave a short message, then press #. My phone then rings, and I have the option to add the caller to my approved list, accept this call but not add it, or simply not take the call.

I can manually add numbers to the blocked or approved list on line or using my phone.

The downside is any valid service (library reservations, some bank services) that rely on automated calls fail.

I have asked my service provider to consider adding a way to temporarily suspend the service.

dalchina, Feb 27, 2018
  9. bha19 Win User
    bha19, Feb 28, 2018
  10. mrgeek Win User
    It is FREE for landlines. That's how my service is set up, numbers on their blacklist ring once and stop. The monthly fee based service is for cell phones.

mrgeek, Feb 28, 2018
  11. Mr Ed Win User
    I wanted to try NoMoRobo but found out they don't do flip phones. I get inundated with robo calls constantly. The best I can do is add their number to my contact list and then adjust my phone not to ring on that number. Still, they'll keep calling from different nos. It's a never ending battle. These nitwits should be locked up! *Mad

Mr Ed, Feb 28, 2018
  12. x509 Win User
    Not to mention that spam calling is illegal in the USA. The Federal Trade Commission set up a "Do Not Call" registry 10 (?) years ago, but in recent years the spammers just ignore that list.

I also use NoMoRobo and it works great. However I seem to recall that it requires (required at the time) a VoIP phone line.

13. davidhk Win User

Phone scam

I use only a cellphone. No landline at all.
    So, my suggestion is apparently no good for you either.

Anyway, here is what has been happening to me........
    I only use a cellphone. No landline at all.
    About 2 months ago, I got a call telling me my internet has been compromised. I am no spring chicken on computer. I stopped him dead on his track and hung up.
    Since then I am getting phone calls from god knows where and it got worse and worse in frequency.
    Finally I use Truecaller to combat this onslaught.
    Truecaller is free. You can find it from Google Play Store.
    It gives 3 options to block calls. Block an SMS sender name, Block a number series, and Block a number.
    Ex. I would enable Block a number series which started with +1. All calls started with +1 would get automatically blocked. No annoying phone ringing off my ears.

Just something to share it with you.

davidhk, Feb 28, 2018
  14. I am on landline through Frontier and this program works perfectly. No fee for landlines or Volp. I never answer my landline anyway and wait to see if there is a voicemail, but this is a better and effective process.

stealth2920, Feb 28, 2018
  15. Bat 1 Win User
    The Bad thing about the Do Not Call list is it gives the Scammers a list of known valid numbers so they don't have to make random generated number calls *Mad

If someone would like to see just how many Telemarketer calls are possible to get in one day, get a "Help I've fallen and I can't get up" button for a family member and put your number as a contact. Within Two Weeks you'll be getting 30-40 calls a day *Mad

Bat 1, Feb 28, 2018
Thema:

Phone scam

1. Phone scam - Similar Threads - Phone scam

2. Mobile phone scam?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mobile phone scam?: I got a call from +18553308653 claiming to be Microsoft and asked me to press the pound key to confirm sign in. I did not sign in to Microsoft at all when this happened nor have I used my account that day yet a received this call....
  3. Mobile phone scam?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mobile phone scam?: I got a call from +18553308653 claiming to be Microsoft and asked me to press the pound key to confirm sign in. I did not sign in to Microsoft at all when this happened nor have I used my account that day yet a received this call....
  4. My laptop was lockedwith several popups stating it was part of a scam. The phone number...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop was lockedwith several popups stating it was part of a scam. The phone number...: My laptop was locked with several popups stating it was part of a scam. The phone number Iwas given was 02 89228908. Is this real? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-was-lockedwith-several-popups-stating-it/a2be660d-5d8f-4fa2-a404-e1c357248d17
  5. My laptop was lockedwith several popups stating it was part of a scam. The phone number...

My laptop was lockedwith several popups stating it was part of a scam. The phone number...: My laptop was locked with several popups stating it was part of a scam. The phone number Iwas given was 02 89228908. Is this real? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-was-lockedwith-several-popups-stating-it/a2be660d-5d8f-4fa2-a404-e1c357248d17
  6. My laptop was lockedwith several popups stating it was part of a scam. The phone number...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. MS Windows Defender and asks me to call a specific phone # to unlock. Is this valid or scam?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Windows Defender and asks me to call a specific phone # to unlock. Is this valid or scam?: My computer is locked up and showing a warning message that purports to be from MS Windows Defender with a phone # to call to unlock. How can I determine if this is a valid MS phone # to call or just a scam? Is it really unsafe to just use Task Manager to cancel and...
  8. MS Windows Defender and asks me to call a specific phone # to unlock. Is this valid or scam?

MS Windows Defender and asks me to call a specific phone # to unlock. Is this valid or scam?: My computer is locked up and showing a warning message that purports to be from MS Windows Defender with a phone # to call to unlock. How can I determine if this is a valid MS phone # to call or just a scam? Is it really unsafe to just use Task Manager to cancel and...
  9. Phone link app shows txt messages that have been flagged as scam or spam. ref 1053859562

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone link app shows txt messages that have been flagged as scam or spam. ref 1053859562: in the latest version of the Phonelink app on Windows v1.23032.196.0 Phone Link 1.23032.196.0 on Android - at the time of posting these appear to be the latest versionsmessages that are marked by my phone as scams or spam, and get hidden away on the phone messages app, don't...
  10. Phone link app shows txt messages that have been flagged as scam or spam. ref 1053859562

Phone link app shows txt messages that have been flagged as scam or spam. ref 1053859562: in the latest version of the Phonelink app on Windows v1.23032.196.0 Phone Link 1.23032.196.0 on Android - at the time of posting these appear to be the latest versionsmessages that are marked by my phone as scams or spam, and get hidden away on the phone messages app, don't...