Windows 10: Photo app changes pictures to weird icons or art

Discus and support Photo app changes pictures to weird icons or art in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I open the Photo app I find all - or nearly all - of my stored photos have been changed to strange icons or art, no rhyme or reason, just random... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by YN2USNLWG, Aug 23, 2018.

1. YN2USNLWG Win User

Photo app changes pictures to weird icons or art

When I open the Photo app I find all - or nearly all - of my stored photos have been changed to strange icons or art, no rhyme or reason, just random images. When I go to the Photo settings and hit "Reset", the icons change back into photos.

They may stay as photos for one minute, five minutes or until I shut off the computer; they will change back into icons.

This has been going on for months, it's making me crazy. Any ideas?

:)

YN2USNLWG, Aug 23, 2018

2. When you right-click on a picture, and select "Set as photos tile in the photo app, what changes it does on photo app?

Hi,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

I like to inform you that when you set picture as Photo tile,
    then it will only change the tile or icon of Photo App displayed in the Start Menu app list as the picture which you have set for it. When you set multiple pictures as Photo tile, then it will change the icon of Photo app periodically between the different
    pictures.

You can also edit photo tile by following below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open Photo App.

2. Then click on Settings.

3. Under Tile, try to change the photo tile as per your need.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 23, 2018
  3. Why do my photos show up in the microsoft app but not in my pictures folder?

Hi Cindy,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in photo app settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "microsoft app", are you referring to photos app?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to check the source file for photos app and also copy the picture from external device.

Step 1: I recommend you check the source file settings in the photos app settings and check if it helps.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Photos" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Click on Settings on the bottom left corner of the Photos app.

4. Then check if under Sources, pictures directory is present or not.

Step 2: I suggest you to directly copy and paste the picture from the external device into the computer.

Please get back to us with an update on issue displaying pictures imported in the photos app into picture folder, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 23, 2018
  4. Mayra Aqu Win User

Photo Icons in the Picture Folders

Hi,

Misconfigured view settings is on of the usual reasons why it is not displaying the actual photo. We suggest checking the settings of your folder to make sure it show the icons, instead of the thumbnail. Kindly follow the steps below to check it:

• Open Picture folder.
    • Choose View tab at the top, then click the (Square icon) Options as shown on the picture below:
      Photo app changes pictures to weird icons or art acdc00f8-fb41-47d4-960e-166f8c7715e3.png
    • Click View tab, put a check mark on the box beside the
      Always show icons, never thumbnails. See picture below:

Photo app changes pictures to weird icons or art 25255605-64c1-4d21-92f9-f2dcf1a0791d.png
    • Close the folder, and check if you will be able to see the display picture for each icon.

Kindly update us with the outcome.

Mayra Aqu, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Photo app changes pictures to weird icons or art - Similar Threads - Photo app changes

2. Want to change the default folder Pictures in the Photos App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Want to change the default folder Pictures in the Photos App: I'd like to change the default folder in the Photos App on Windows 11. I don't want the Pictures folder to show, but instead to show another, subfolder as the default. Is there a way to do this?...
  3. Want to change the default folder Pictures in the Photos App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Want to change the default folder Pictures in the Photos App: I'd like to change the default folder in the Photos App on Windows 11. I don't want the Pictures folder to show, but instead to show another, subfolder as the default. Is there a way to do this?...
  4. photos app and pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photos app and pictures: Why is it that the photos app duplicates photos into the pictures files? who needs that? The problem is that you cannot move photos to the pictures file or make new folders or choose where you want your pictures to go as it used to be. And why in the world are there two...
  5. photos app and pictures

photos app and pictures: Why is it that the photos app duplicates photos into the pictures files? who needs that? The problem is that you cannot move photos to the pictures file or make new folders or choose where you want your pictures to go as it used to be. And why in the world are there two...
  6. App Icons have changed to Default Photo's App Icon..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App Icons have changed to Default Photo's App Icon..: Hello, I've been recently having this issue that's changed some of the app's icons.. I believe the cause for this would be due to once when I changed the default app opener for .png files to another app which I downloaded online Paint.netAnd yeah.. after I did that it was...
  7. App Icons have changed to Default Photo's App Icon..

App Icons have changed to Default Photo's App Icon..: Hello, I've been recently having this issue that's changed some of the app's icons.. I believe the cause for this would be due to once when I changed the default app opener for .png files to another app which I downloaded online Paint.netAnd yeah.. after I did that it was...
  8. Album art pictures

in Windows 10 Support
    Album art pictures: Windows 10 Home edition version 1903.I have a lot of "Album art"pictures I don`t want and would like to delete them as they have got mixed up in some music albums is it safe to do so? 142745
  9. File.exe changed into weird icon

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File.exe changed into weird icon: Pls help, suddenly all my .exe file changed into this weirdo. I think i got a virus and I just dont know what it is and how to get rid of them. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fileexe-changed-into-weird-icon/61e2a6b5-6040-486d-aa3e-9b4d9025ef72
  10. Icons and album art

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Icons and album art: do not appear in Windows file Explorer after Windows 10 update is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-and-album-art/6263e8a0-6dc2-4d1c-a190-eda0ebbd7754