Windows 10: Photo Viewer Background Color

Discus and support Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is something that perplexes me - I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro, one's a desktop and one's a laptop. I used WinAeroTweaker to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by drfsupercenter, May 21, 2016.

1. Photo Viewer Background Color

This is something that perplexes me - I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro, one's a desktop and one's a laptop.

I used WinAeroTweaker to "enable" the Windows Photo Viewer for image files, since I prefer it to the newer "Photos" app.

When I open a picture on my desktop, the background color is some ugly yellowish off-white color. It's the normal shade on my laptop (as well as at work, where I have 10 Enterprise)

Here are a couple comparison shots using the same image.

On the laptop (I like this color)

Photo Viewer Background Color [​IMG]

On the desktop:

See how it's a yellower color? And what's weird is the white text in the background is ALSO that yellow color.

I know when I open Photoshop, I get some message about an invalid monitor color profile, so I'm thinking Windows created some "profile" for my monitor that it's trying to adjust colors to match, and it's really doing nothing but causing trouble.

My monitors look fine with just the standard un-adjusted colors that Windows 7 had, and other "dumb" programs like Paint. But the photo viewer seems to do what Photoshop is trying to do and adjust my colors for some reason.

Is it possible to wipe those color profiles and just tell it to treat the monitor like a generic PnP monitor without anything special? I'm using DVI so it's able to query the monitor and find its model... other than that, I don't really know what's going on.

If it means anything to anyone, I have an AMD Radeon 380X graphics card, and I just installed the newest driver update this morning. The monitors are LG something or other.

:)

drfsupercenter, May 21, 2016
  2. Drewdler Win User

Windows 10 default Photo Viewer - png files - Black Background Issues

The issue here is the photo viewer's background is BLACK, hence black png image on black background = 0. I was looking to change the background color of the image viewer to fix this. Is there a way to change it? The photo viewer is working perfectly fine,
    they just did not consider the black png on black background.

Drewdler, May 21, 2016
  3. toonde2 Win User
    Windows Photoviewer - Can I, and how, change the background-color of the app. ?

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I mean the background-color of the Windows photo viewer.

I do like more a saturated gray color for the background.

Thanks in advance.

toonde2, May 21, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Photo Viewer Background Color

@drfsupercenter
    If you open that same image in Windows Paint, does the same thing happen?

Edwin, May 21, 2016
  5. Nope, that's what's odd. It shows the proper white in Paint.

drfsupercenter, May 21, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, May 21, 2016
  7. Hmm, I tried that, but it didn't help.

I was able to change the background color to black and that DID change it - but when I used "reset to default", and even if I selected pure white (which is lighter than the default shade of grey), it still showed up yellow.

I definitely think that monitor color profile has something to do with it.

This is the message Photoshop gives me:

I never created a profile to begin with, so I'm curious where it's pulling that from. But I think that might be the problem.

drfsupercenter, May 22, 2016
  8. Clint Win User

Mine was doing the same thing. Brink fixed it by telling me to do this .

It was in this thread.
    Windows Photo Viewer - Restore in Windows 10 - Page 15 - Windows 10 Forums

Clint, May 22, 2016
  9. Ah, perfect, that's just what I needed. The colors look correct now!

I'm wondering where that profile is even coming from. If I simply delete the bad one and don't assign the sRGB profile to it, it recreates itself and still has the same issue. It's like the graphics card (or is it Windows 10 itself? Never had this problem in 7) is detecting the monitor and trying to create a blank profile on the fly for it.

drfsupercenter, May 22, 2016
  10. Clint Win User
    Great. What would we do without Brink??

Clint, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Photo Viewer Background Color - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer Background

2. Windows Photo Viewer background colour.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Photo Viewer background colour.: Three PC's.When clicking an image to open it the background is black.....surrounding the image.On the third PC it is white.How do I change it to black?Please!...
  3. Windows Photo Viewer background colour.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Photo Viewer background colour.: Three PC's.When clicking an image to open it the background is black.....surrounding the image.On the third PC it is white.How do I change it to black?Please!...
  4. Customize background color in Windows picture viewer, How?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize background color in Windows picture viewer, How?: Hi. I use Windows picture viewer as my default picture viewer. I noticed after updating W10 to version 1903, that now, the background color that surrounds the picture that we are viewing is in white. I find the white color as background very annoying. I dont recall exactly...
  5. Windows photo viewer keeps changing the color

Windows photo viewer keeps changing the color: Hi! I have issue that windows photo viewer (the hidden program, not the app) changes colors of photos. I heard it has something to do with color profiles. So I opened Colour Management and removed all profiles for all monitors. Didnt notice any effects on monitors themselves...
  6. White background color on windows photo viewer

White background color on windows photo viewer: Hello I have a problem with windows photo viewer.... my background changed to white and i hate it... how can i change it back to black?[ATTACH]...
  7. Windows 10 Photo Viewer's desaturated colors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Photo Viewer's desaturated colors: My laptop = HP Envy x360 convertible 15m xxxx (fully up to date) I have been having the issue with desaturated colors in Windows 10. The screen is calibrated. Photos in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop are correct. Photos displayed on websites i use are correct (i.e...
  8. Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color: I would like to change the default background color in the Windows Photo Viewer program, not the new app, the original Photo Viewer. I have tried the registry key fix but it does not seem to work with Windows 10. (Create new DWORD 32bit value in...
  9. Windows Photo Viewer - wrong colors?

Windows Photo Viewer - wrong colors?: Greetings. When watching photos in Windows Photo Viewer all colors are added a "yellow" look. How do I change that so it looks normal? If I resize the window so there are borders, they are yellow allso! Look at attached eksample. 4251
  10. Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows: How to: Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows How to Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows [img] Information You can use Windows Photo Viewer to view your image files in a variety of ways, print, order prints, attach pictures to an...