Windows 10: Photo/WPV default zoom level

Discus and support Photo/WPV default zoom level in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Photo/WPV default zoom level Hello guys, I wish I could set the default zoom level of my default photo viewer (I can choose Photo app or Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sirluca, May 29, 2016.

1. sirluca Win User

Photo/WPV default zoom level

Hello guys,
    I wish I could set the default zoom level of my default photo viewer (I can choose Photo app or Windows Photo Viewer or some third program too).
    I want the default program to be able to open/switch within photos at the default photo size (100% zoom of the photo) and not with the default screen size (100% zoom of the screen size).
    Any idea how to do that? Maybe some registry key to edit? Any software to suggest?
    Thanks for your help, Luca.

:)

sirluca, May 29, 2016
  2. Reece.87 Win User

How to set Windows Photo Viewer as the default program for all photo file types?

I recently installed Win10 and now my default photo application is the Win8/10 "Photos" app and it is a horrible app. I want the old Windows Photo Viewer (WPV) application to be my default for viewing ALL images, but here's the problem - There is no way
    to set WPV as the default program. Right-clicking an image then going to "open with" doesn't work and going to control panel>default programs does not work. WPV does not show up in any list using the right-click method and in controlPanel>DefaultProgram settings
    WPV can only be set to the default for .tif and .tiff images. Do you have any suggestions?

Photo/WPV default zoom level [​IMG]

Reece.87, May 29, 2016
  3. Windows Media Player in Windows 10

Checked my Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems here. WMP behaves the same way.. closes in 5 seconds and can't cycle through the images.

As an alternate (or until you figure out the WMP setting), you may register Windows Photo Viewer using my REG file

here
    . It properly registers WPV with Default Apps. After applying it, set WPV as the default viewer in Default Apps.

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 29, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Someone else may know of a way to do it with the Photos app or Windows Photo Viewer, but I'm not aware of a way myself. In the Photos app you can double-click photos to toggle between 100% view, which makes it pretty useable. The Photos app used to over-sharpen photos at 100% view, but looking at it just now I think they may have fixed that since.

Occasionally I use FastStone Image Viewer to do things other Image Viewers can't, but I'm no expert with it as I only use it for certain projects. However, I've just looked and it will allow you to view all images at 100% view by default if you want.

Settings > Settings > Viewer Tab > Auto Image Size > Actual Size

To scroll through images, double click a thumbnail (which will open it in full-screen viewer mode), then use either the mouse scroll wheel to scroll through images, or moving the mouse to the very top of the screen to bring up the thumbnail list. CTRL + mouse wheel will zoom in and out.

As an image viewer it's pretty hardcore, it's like the software equivalent to a Swiss Army Knife, LOL. They do a portable version too if you just want to experiment with it first without actually installing it. Here's their website:

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

ARC1020, May 29, 2016
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    Ignore my above comment about the Windows Photo app showing 100% size when double-clicking the photo. I don't know what percentage it zooms to as it varies from photo to photo, therefore there's no way of knowing where 100% is by using this method. You would need to manually click the 100% button for each photo (like with Windows Photo Viewer) in the bottom right instead, which is not what you are after.

I also didn't mention that it maybe worth checking your camera manufacturers software too. If you use a Canon EOS camera for example, it will come with Canon DPP software which will allow you to view all photos at 100% view and will even show AF points.

ARC1020, May 29, 2016
  6. sirluca Win User
    ARC1020 thanks you so much for your reply; actually I need to view different batch of images with fixed image size each batch; I needed some program that would "open/switch" all images with 100% zoom of the size of the photo; without wasting time to double click and/or do more inputs; also I needed it to refresh/reset the display coordinates of the view after switching/opening new photos (example: I open photo1, scroll down, then switch to photo2 and photo2 is displayed from top, not from bottom).
    Today I found a portable software, XnViewMP, that has both those features, "zoom lock" and "reset X/Y coordinates".
    Thank you again for your time; in case I will check FastStone Image Viewer if I need more features.
    If someone would know how to hack Photo apps/Windows Photo Viewer I could drop XnViewMP and use those.

sirluca, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Photo/WPV default zoom level - Similar Threads - Photo WPV default

2. How to set the default Zoom level in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to set the default Zoom level in Microsoft Edge: [IMG]Microsoft Edge is one of the widely used web browsers on Windows with several customization and accessibility features. One of its many Accessibility features is the ability to set the default zoom level for web pages. It allows you to open websites with magnified or...
  3. Default Zoom level for Libre Office Writer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Zoom level for Libre Office Writer: Hi,What is the default zoom level for a Libre Office Writer document? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-zoom-level-for-libre-office-writer/309fea2b-4782-4fed-8a6e-a5209cb70390
  4. Default Zoom level for Libre Office Writer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Zoom level for Libre Office Writer: Hi,What is the default zoom level for a Libre Office Writer document? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-zoom-level-for-libre-office-writer/309fea2b-4782-4fed-8a6e-a5209cb70390
  5. Windows photos app suddenly not zooming to fit by default and no setting to make it default...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows photos app suddenly not zooming to fit by default and no setting to make it default...: I am using windows default photo viewer and for the longest time when I opened a photo it would be zoomed to fit. Now all of a sudden any photo I open is zoomed to fit for a fraction of a second before it jarringly zooms it to "actual size". There is no setting to change this...
  6. Windows photos app suddenly not zooming to fit by default and no setting to make it default...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows photos app suddenly not zooming to fit by default and no setting to make it default...: I am using windows default photo viewer and for the longest time when I opened a photo it would be zoomed to fit. Now all of a sudden any photo I open is zoomed to fit for a fraction of a second before it jarringly zooms it to "actual size". There is no setting to change this...
  7. How to change default zoom level in Windows Notepad?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change default zoom level in Windows Notepad?: I want to change the default zoom level or leave the level of last file opened because default 100% zoom level is too high for large documents. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-zoom-level-in-windows/217000ba-d91b-4e34-a7f3-ea2b904bd9b9
  8. edge zoom level

in Browsers and Email
    edge zoom level: So ive sacked firefox off for a bit and started to give Edge a try , so far so good except for the zoom , minimum seems to be 125% its too big is there any kind of witchcraft that will enable 110% for example? 47448
  9. Tip - How to Set Outlook 2016 Message Default Zoom Level

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Tip - How to Set Outlook 2016 Message Default Zoom Level: I installed Outlook 2016 a while ago and have been dissatisfied with the message font size set to 100% whereas I need 150-200% to read messages comfortably when double clicking on them. There is no obvious way to change this in the Outlook settings. I discovered you can...
  10. Photo/WPV default zoom level

in Windows 10 Support
    Photo/WPV default zoom level: Wrong section of the forum. Please delete this thread. I can't figure out how to do it myself. I re-posted on the correct section. Thanks. 51786