Windows 10: Photos app opens blurry images in Windows 10

Discus and support Photos app opens blurry images in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Although the Photos app in Windows 10 is a smooth and useful application, some users have reported that when they use the Photos app to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 15, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

Photos app opens blurry images in Windows 10

Photos app opens blurry images in Windows 10 Photos-app-is-opening-blurry-image-in-Windows-10-1-100x100.png
    Although the Photos app in Windows 10 is a smooth and useful application, some users have reported that when they use the Photos app to open images, it displays blurry images even when the images are of high resolution and [...]

This post Photos app opens blurry images in Windows 10 is from TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jun 15, 2018
  2. ARC1020 Win User

Pictured Are Blurry in Windows 10 Photos App

Anyone else finding that pictures in the Windows 10 Photos App are blurry? The same pictures are perfect in the Windows Photo Viewer.

I'm not sure how to demo it as I don't know how it's going to display on your screen and I'm not sure whether TenForums compresses uploaded images. I'll try with a PNG of both the Photos app and Windows Photo Viewer side-by-side.

I can't see a way to view images at their 100% original size in the Photos App (which is really stupid), so I've also attached just the 'Tabs' dialogue box as well. Because it's smaller, it should display at 100% magnification on your screen and therefore not be subjected to downscaling-to-fit.

Alternatively, just take a screenshot of the Internet Explorer 'Tab' settings (in 'Internet Options'), and open the screenshot in both the Photos App and Windows Photo Viewer and compare them.

Side-by-side:

Photos app opens blurry images in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Just Dialogue Box (Right Click > Save Picture As):

Photos app opens blurry images in Windows 10 [​IMG]

ARC1020, Jun 17, 2018
  3. mikato80 Win User
    Photos app often displays sharp images as somewhat blurry (includes example)

What I did was hit the Print Screen key on my keyboard because that did not cause Photos to drop out of full screen mode. Then I pasted it into a new Gimp window, made sure it was 100% zoom, then used the Snipping Tool on that for a smaller crop. There is
    no loss of quality in any of those steps except possibly the final saving of the cropped file - and that I did with the Snipping Tool in every case so it's not a variable.

"One possible explanation is that the zoom icon simply goes up or down a fixed percentage. If you go up 10% and then down 10%, you get 99%, but it should be slightly worse than the original and you see it as clearly
    better. "

I see what you mean, but I really doubt it works that way since it would be pretty weird Photos app opens blurry images in Windows 10 :) My guess of the explanation here is that when you first open the image, it does not do the "sharpening" after a half second
    that it does if you zoom in/out. It's probably showing a blurry version initially for speed. It shows blurry versions as you zoom in or out (and after a half second it shows the non-blurry version if it's a nice round zoom percentage), and it shows blurry
    versions when you page forward and back to other images. I have seen other image viewers do similar, my camera actually does it, and the older Windows Photo Viewer did that as well I think. The Windows Photo Viewer would "look ahead" to load the next photo
    as you paged forward, but if you paged too quickly, you would have to wait a second for it.

I see 2 problems-

• Photos app does not show the non-blurry version when you first open it (for
      round zoom percentages). I would expect it to show that after a half second like it does when you zoom in/out.
    • Photos app shows photos significantly blurrier than other image viewers when not at a nice round zoom percentage).

This thing is definitely real. My photos look worse with the Photos app with a somewhat close glance. It's worse for some photos - depends on what's in the photo.

I thought of another way to test with the zoom in/out phenomenon-

• Open a photo that has some clear detail and contrast in the Photos app twice, so you have two windows open of the same photo. Make sure both Photos windows are maximized.
    • In the first, click the ... and choose "View actual size"
    • Then zoom out using Ctrl key and mouse scroll wheel until you can't zoom out anymore. You can see the image often get clearer or more blurry after a half second on each zoom level.
    • Compare the two Photos windows by switching between them using the taskbar (or take crops of both with the Snipping Tool while trying to crop the same area, and flip between them in Photos or any viewer).

I tried this with my 2288x1712 photos, and the result here is that the first Photos window shows a clearer version of the photo. I tested several. I tried this with my 4000x3000 photos and... wait that's strange, the two aren't showing the same zoom level.
    The first is still clearer, but it's also slightly larger than the second so not a good comparison. With my 2288x1712 photos, the steps above ended up with both at the same zoom level. I tried with a 3264x2448 image from my phone and it also ended with slightly
    different zoom levels. I tried some 2048x1536 images from my older phone and that ended with both having the same zoom, and the first was clearly sharper. The zoom difference seems to be accounted for by the top bar of the Photos app. When first opened, the
    zoom level is set to exclude the top bar so the full image is visible. After doing the steps above, the top bar overlaps instead.

So that test may have just brought up new questions. But there is a definite result for my 2288x1712 and 2048x1536 photos. They open initially more blurry compared to what you see if you do the above steps, or if you zoom in then out.

Wow, I just noticed something else. When I open a 2288x1712 photo, it looks clearer for a fraction of a second, then it blurs. The Photos app is actually blurring it after it has already loaded the better version. It happens quickly so it's not easy to see.
    I may have to figure out how to make a screencast video to show it. This is nuts though. I was unable to see something like that when trying my 4000x3000 photos. I guess it's like the steps as you zoom. When zooming, after a half second, some zoom steps get
    sharper and some get more blurry.

It would be a good idea to come up with a test pattern and play around with it as you suggested.

mikato80, Jun 17, 2018
  4. mikato80 Win User

Photos app often displays sharp images as somewhat blurry (includes example)

This is exactly what I see on my screen (and with screen prints). I can't be the only one. I'm sure anybody can see it.

The Photos app shows a different displayed image when viewing the same photo after having just opened it maximized compared to having opened it maximized and doing 1 zoom in and 1 zoom out (zoomed with Ctrl + scroll wheel).

MS could just say - hey that's the way it is, it's a resize and it's not perfect. But for me it's way too blurry on many photos. I chose to not order an 8x10 print of one photo because of it. And anyway, it appears to be blurring it in some cases after it has
    already displayed a better quality version, which doesn't make sense.

I have photos of 4 different sizes I have looked at lately:

• 2048x1536 - Photos app shows a clearer version after doing 1 zoom in and 1 zoom out
    • 2288x1712 - Photos app shows a clearer version after doing 1 zoom in and 1 zoom out. I also notice when first opened (starts maximized) that the image blurs a split second after it's first displayed - it's very quick.
    • 3264x2448 - Photos app shows a more blurry version after doing 1 zoom in and 1 zoom out
    • 4000x3000 - Photos app shows a clearer version after doing 1 zoom in and 1 zoom out

The 3264x2448 is the odd one showing a more blurry version after doing the zooming. But I have seen some zoom steps do seem to show more blurry versions, less often.

I'll make some screenshots of photos for these different sizes and put them up in a OneDrive folder soon.

"You may want to hold the Windows key down while doing the screen print. That writes a png image to your Screenshots folder. That's a lossless write so you can create a reliable set of test results."

I'm pretty sure that the screenshot that's saved to the clipboard by using the Print Screen key is lossless, and that viewing the image in a Gimp window is also lossless. But I'll do that. It's easier for full-screen screenshots anyway.

mikato80, Jun 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Photos app opens blurry images in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Photos app opens

2. Windows 10 22H2 Photos app still blurry

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 22H2 Photos app still blurry: Just a reminder that so many years later, Windows 10 Photos app is still broken. I confirm that using a small 399 x 492 pixels picture, it appears blurry (not aligned on the pixel grid) if the window's: height is odd height is even and width is odd It also happens in full...
  3. the default app for opening images is not photo viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the default app for opening images is not photo viewer: So i download a image from google using save as button and when i open the image it opens paint instead of photo viewer i tried right clicking it and then click open with i went through all options but there was no photo viewer in there i tried creating a shortcut of the...
  4. the default app for opening images is not photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the default app for opening images is not photo viewer: So i download a image from google using save as button and when i open the image it opens paint instead of photo viewer i tried right clicking it and then click open with i went through all options but there was no photo viewer in there i tried creating a shortcut of the...
  5. Iphone 12 Pro photos are blurry with Windows 10 Photos App

Iphone 12 Pro photos are blurry with Windows 10 Photos App: iPhone 12 Pro - Version iOS 15.0When I hook up my iPhone 12 to my PC and view the iPhone pictures with the Windows 10 Photos App, they appear quite blurry.When I save to an folder on my PC they no longer are blurry when viewing with Photos App.It seemed the problem started...
  6. Windows photos app not working - images not opening

Windows photos app not working - images not opening: I recently bought a new laptop and right away there were problems with the windows photo app - when i open a picture, the app opens but it does not display the picture, instead it shows is a plain white screen. This doesnt happen everytime but if it will happen at least...
  7. Error when open images in Windows Photo app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error when open images in Windows Photo app: I am trying to open Windows Photo images but get a file system error-2147163901... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-when-open-images-in-windows-photo-app/f474c2ef-1e45-44e3-b7bc-3e80b77e27f1
  8. Open WebP images on Photos app

Open WebP images on Photos app: Hi How to Open WebP images on Photos app ? its only showing in windows photo viewer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-webp-images-on-photos-app/e163fe16-5b83-44df-93fc-5f17c913aebe
  9. Pictured Are Blurry in Windows 10 Photos App

Pictured Are Blurry in Windows 10 Photos App: Anyone else finding that pictures in the Windows 10 Photos App are blurry? The same pictures are perfect in the Windows Photo Viewer. I'm not sure how to demo it as I don't know how it's going to display on your screen and I'm not sure whether TenForums compresses...
  10. Resize Image in Windows 10 Photos app

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Resize Image in Windows 10 Photos app: How to: Resize Image in Windows 10 Photos app How to Resize Image in Windows 10 Photos app The Photos app included in Windows 10 is a universal app that allows you to enjoy, organize, edit, and share all your digital memories. It brings together photos and videos from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. blurry screen windows 10

2. windows photo app blurry

3. blurry open with photos windows 10

4. windows 10 photo app shows blurry,
  5. photos open blurry,
  6. because the photo app resizes photos it makes them blurry,
  7. windows photo app makes photo blurry],
  8. Photos app often displays sharp images as somewhat blurry (includes example) ,
  9. windows 10 mobile blurred picture,
  10. why are pictures in windows 10 photo app so blurred,
  11. Why are my photos blurry in my photo viewer,
  12. why is the opening photo in microsoft blurry,
  13. blurred images that you have to guees what they are,
  14. my hp photos app keeps going blurry,
  15. photos in windows blur