Windows 10: Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default

Discus and support Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My default sources keep changing from the sources that I choose. Also, the photos app keeps recreating the pictures library in the C:\Users\UserHere... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Firehawken, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default

My default sources keep changing from the sources that I choose. Also, the photos app keeps recreating the pictures library in the C:\Users\UserHere directory even though I changed it over to another drive. I've also already tried uninstalling the photos app via Windows Powershell and reinstalling the app. I've posted some to show you the items that keep changing. I found that OneDrive seems to be causing the problem but can't find a solution.

:)

Firehawken, Apr 7, 2016
  2. Roberto Oca, Apr 7, 2016
  3. Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default

This all started after a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. My default sources keep changing from the sources that I choose. Also, the photos app keeps recreating the pictures library in the C:\Users\UserHere directory even though I changed it over to another
    drive. I've also already tried uninstalling the photos app via Windows Powershell and reinstalling the app. I've posted some screenshots to show you the items that keep changing.

Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default [​IMG]

I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 Build 10586.164

Firehawken, Apr 7, 2016
  4. Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default

Hello Firehawken Welcome to the Ten Forums!

Another unhappy customer with the new Photos app I see! I think you will be surprised to learn many simply do not want the new touchscreen capable app but want to see the classic Windows Photo Viewer back again! And that is easily managed! See for yourself! Windows Photo Viewer - Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

In fact when going to view an image file earlier I had a reminder about having forgotten to see the WPV enabled again after this latest Insider Preview build went on. With the image or photo opened up you can bring down the File option menu and choose the "Make a copy" option to custom save duplicates of the file or photo being viewed to any location you can browse being a plus item there! *Wink

Night Hawk, Apr 7, 2016
  5. I actually like the new photos app except for this one bug that I can't figure out how to solve. There is one solution that I found but it changes my default documents and photos save location to OneDrive which I also don't want. It seems that this is a bug with OneDrive changing save locations and not the photos app.

Firehawken, Apr 7, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 7, 2016
  7. It's far easier to simply disable One Drive to begin with. Then you won't be seeing any interferences from that. OneDrive Run at Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I don't use One Drive here either so don't feel bad. The one thing about WPV is that it never changes any defaults on anything. If you are viewing a photo on a memory card in a camera you two options to copy or if you want someone's name on the duplicate you choose the Make a copy option instead and browse to the destination as well as "save as" such name rather then leaving every photo numbered in chronological order.

Enabling it doesn't automatically change the default from the Photos app either. That has done from the Opens with option found in the right click menu and even with WPV set as the default viewer you can still open something up to view using the Photos app unless uninstalled from the Start>Settings>System>Apps & Features section.

Even with the default here set for the classic Photo Viewer I still can choose any other app listed or go to the MS store if needed depending on what I will be doing with a particular file. I back things up from a cell phone with cam in it as well as having a separate camera/camcorder manually for each individual file since I have various folders on both OS drives as well as the storage/backup drives here.

The Photos app just like other things in Windows however is geared to look at the user account you are in at the time and likely the reason for the constant change. Each time you save something new the app looks to place it under the user account. I think this is what you will find being the main reason for the changes seen.

Night Hawk, Apr 7, 2016
  8. Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default

If I disable OneDrive from starting up is there any other way I can access my OneDrive files on my computer?

Firehawken, Apr 8, 2016
  9. You can still manually start OneDrive up and back things up to a local folder out of what you find on OneDrive itself. Once you have everything backed up from any folders there you simply end the task in the Task manager itself to be sure it is closed out entirely. That is where you would go anyways to the Startup tab and locate the Microsoft OneDrive item to see it disabled anyways.

Night Hawk, Apr 8, 2016
  10. The problem with that is I require OneDrive to be running at all times.

Firehawken, Apr 8, 2016
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Barman58, Apr 8, 2016
  12. Can I set adobe bridge as the default photo viewer in the settings? If so that might solve my problem.

Firehawken, Apr 8, 2016
  13. Barman58 Win User

Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default

Yes, no problems here, I just use the File - Properties - Opens With ... option, and bridge has it's own settings panel to set associations, which tends to override windows own thoughts on the matter *Wink

there are of course lots of other options to look at one I also have on all my systems is IrfanView - IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide which has a full suite of format plug-ins, if you ever need them to load exotic formats, Both options are regularly updated, Bridge is the best if you are a photographer who deals with RAW formats direct from the camera

Barman58, Apr 8, 2016
  14. IrfanView is definitely a good one there! Another one being FastStone has a couple of interesting image viewers as well as photo resizer and screen capture app available as well. Request Rejected

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default

1. Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default - Similar Threads - Photos App Source

2. change the source of the app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change the source of the app: trying to install an app that does not exist in the microsoft store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-source-of-the-app/cbc13da6-4d94-43a1-8e97-ea5dad4603d8
  3. change the source of the app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change the source of the app: trying to install an app that does not exist in the microsoft store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-source-of-the-app/cbc13da6-4d94-43a1-8e97-ea5dad4603d8
  4. Changing Photo default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Photo default apps: It seems now, with possible update, I can no longer open my photographs using my installed photoshop program. It defaults to Microsoft Photo app instead when clicking on an image in Windows Explorer folders. Use to be you got a choice when choosing OPEN WITH, but although I...
  5. Photos app keeps changing photo destination

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos app keeps changing photo destination: Hello! I've been able to import photos just fine in the past, but recently the Photos app has changed where my photos get imported to. I want to import them to my external hard drive, where they have been going, but Windows keeps changing the destination. This is when I...
  6. A Service I've changed the default settings keeps resetting back to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    A Service I've changed the default settings keeps resetting back to default: There is a Service where I need the Log On property changed to "Local System account" with the allow service to interact with desktop checked. This is required for a program that needs to be run that connects to an external device. After some time it changes back to the...
  7. Default app change back to Microsoft Word

Default app change back to Microsoft Word: Hello, I have recently updated my Windows 10 system, as my computer told me to, but now I have lost my wonderful Microsoft Word to a new format that is called Word Pad. How can I go back to Word? I have gone to Settings - Apps - Default Apps, but there is no provision for...
  8. default app for jpegs keeps changing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    default app for jpegs keeps changing: I prefer Windows Photo Viewer to view jpeg images. For some reason, on occasion, this app will not open, and worst, it is not listed in when I use "open with." Opening an image from it's folder brings up another app I use, FastStone. I went to settings and changed the...
  9. Default video and photo applications keep changing to Windows apps

Default video and photo applications keep changing to Windows apps: Hello! Sorry if this has been already asked, but it's kind of late and I'm tired, I don't want to go through all the threads. Just point me to the appropriate thread. Thanks. My problem is that I set Media Player Classic for MP4, MPG, AVI, MKV and other formats and...
  10. Change default photo viewer app

Change default photo viewer app: My friend did something on her computer the other day in which her pictures folder - the pictures are not pictures now, they have the default photo app viewer. How can I change them so she sees the pictures are pictures? [img] 103812