Windows 10: Photos crashes when printing jpgs

Discus and support Photos crashes when printing jpgs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Whenever I open a JPG with Microsoft Photos and try to print it on a local printer, the print dialogue menu opens and even though the printer selection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SoFine409, Mar 20, 2018.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Photos crashes when printing jpgs

Whenever I open a JPG with Microsoft Photos and try to print it on a local printer, the print dialogue menu opens and even though the printer selection has a local printer, a message appears indicating that its looking for "Microsoft Print to PDF" and within a few seconds the app crashes. How can I fix it?

Photos crashes when printing jpgs [​IMG]

:)

SoFine409, Mar 20, 2018
  2. hifz Win User

Windows 10 Microsoft Photos App Not Printing JPG, PNG

Windows 10 Microsoft Photos App Not Printing JPG, PNG

Hi,

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise 1511. We have discovered Microsoft Photos App is not Printing JPG, PNG files.

Upon observation the print job is not reaching the printer? I have checked see what's printing dialogue box.

If I print the same jpg, png via paint, word etc, the photo is printed.

Is this a known issue?

CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE?

3. Windows 10 photo app crashes (closes) when try to print

We've been having the same issue. Except I have admin rights on our machines and have used powershell to remove the Photos app then reinstall it from the store. As noted above, this only works for the first photo that opens then it starts crashing again
    seconds after pressing print.

As a workaround I have been setting our Win10 devices to open Paint 3D as the default photo viewer (Settings --> Apps --> Default apps). Doesn't solve the problem with Photos but at least it allows us to print jpg/bmp/png/etc.

Jeff D. 23, Mar 20, 2018
  4. Photos crashes when printing jpgs

Caledon Ken, Mar 22, 2018
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    SoFine409, Mar 23, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    One other thing I'd do is check Devices and Printers, maybe the Default printer choice needs changing. Most programs allow choosing a different printer on their File menu item temporarily/for the job.

Berton, Mar 23, 2018
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi Ken Hi Berton,
    Sorry to say that neither suggestion worked.
    As soon as the print icon in the Photos App was clicked, it began searching for my default printer, HP LaserJet 1300 PCL6, and after a few seconds the app closes. Next I tried changing the default printer to an HP Color LaserJet Pro M252 and when I repeated the printing effort, even though the default printer had been changed, Photos still tried to search for the LaserJet 1300 and shut down as before. Hum very odd, the app doesn't "find" the one printer and then won't pick up that the default printer has been changed .
    Yet, when I right click on the JPG file and select Print it prints just fine, no problems. So it appears to be the Photos app is the issue. Although its not a critical issue, I am curious what's up but not curious enough to do a repair install with the Spring update just around the corner.
    Any other ideas?

SoFine409, Mar 23, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

Have you tried a third-party software such as IrfanView or GIMP [both free]? I like Windows Photo Viewer but it may not be available in later Builds.

Berton, Mar 23, 2018
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    Thanks Burton. I'll give them both a try.

SoFine409, Mar 23, 2018
  10. I like IrfanView and have used it for my photo viewer for years.

Caledon Ken, Mar 23, 2018
  11. SoFine409 Win User
    Thanks Ken and Berton. Using IrfanView now and I like it. Something was definitely funky with MS Photos, it did not want to uninstall from the apps menu so I had to use powershell.
    Bob

SoFine409, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Photos crashes when printing jpgs - Similar Threads - Photos crashes printing

2. Printed photos have large parts of the photos missing when using Print Pictures/Print...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Printed photos have large parts of the photos missing when using Print Pictures/Print...: A new problem has occurred for me under Windows 10. When I print out photos using MS Photo and the Print Pictures/Print dialog box, the actual paper print appears with a large section of the image missing. There will be two parallel sections correctly printed at the edge of...
  3. Printing jpgs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Printing jpgs: I cannot get two 4x6 pics to a page to print from my Canon MX922 anymore. I have done this in the past. I can select multiple files and select to print two 4x6 pics per page and now it prints the left and right sides of the pics but leaves a white blank space throughout the...
  4. JPGs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    JPGs: How do I change the opption to open JPGs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpgs/8d6e7c2e-8b99-41e5-8165-d5b4f221c3ef"
  5. Photos App crashes when importing photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App crashes when importing photos: I recently got a new PC and when i am trying to import my photos from my Iphone Xs max, the app freezes to '3081 items found so far" and all i want are my photos on my pc. Can someone please help...
  6. Inaccuate colour when printing photos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Inaccuate colour when printing photos: My computer with Windows 10 is printing photos with inaccuarate colours. They are dark or overintense. How can I get it to print with accurate color? I have an HP Envy 4552 printer with HP cartridges...
  7. My Photos Will Not Save As JPGs or PNGs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Photos Will Not Save As JPGs or PNGs: [ATTACH] Here is a screenshot of my gallery. Every time I go to save a photograph online by right-clicking and then selecting "save image as..." it saves the images like so, even though it claims it is going to save them as a JPG. I have been having problems with my...
  8. Converting Microsoft bootup photos to JPGs?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Converting Microsoft bootup photos to JPGs?: When I start my computer, it starts with one of a series of photos before I enter my password and it goes to the desktop. Where are these photos stored, what format are they in, and can they be converted to JPGs or some other common format?...
  9. Printing multiple JPGs as a single PDF - how to control sequence?

in Windows 10 Support
    Printing multiple JPGs as a single PDF - how to control sequence?: I want to combine multiple JPGs into a single PDF, and am using the Microsoft Print To PDF function to do this. Despite selecting a sort order for the JPGs, the PDF always prints them out of order. For example, if the JPGs are sequenced A,B,C the PDF will print them in C,A,B...
  10. Photos app crashes when trying to print

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app crashes when trying to print: Same issue - Windows 10 1709 X86 / X64 ( 300 + machines domain joined ) Some machines work some do not. error logs on a machine that does not work. App crashes when trying to print. Tried all above recommendations with no luck what so ever. Event ( Application Log )...