Windows 10: Photoshop CS4 doesn't recognize two of my network printers under W10

Discus and support Photoshop CS4 doesn't recognize two of my network printers under W10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have recently installed Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4) under Windows 10. Photoshop within the suite doesn't recognize two of my four network printers,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by stony41, Mar 14, 2016.

1. stony41 Win User

Photoshop CS4 doesn't recognize two of my network printers under W10

I have recently installed Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4) under Windows 10. Photoshop within the suite doesn't recognize two of my four network printers, which happen to be my best printers. This is purely a Photoshop thing, as Illustrator and InDesign within the suite do recognize these printers. It seems that occasional lack of printer recognition occurs in some other Adobe products as well. The Adobe 'error' message is banal: in essence, you silly user, you need to install a printer before printing anything. Duh.

It goes without saying that all my four networked printers are recognized by all other applications installed under Windows 10.

There may be no solution to this Photoshop CS4 madness, but perhaps there is a fix?

:)

stony41, Mar 14, 2016
  2. pjaj43 Win User

Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro CS4 and Windows 10

When I accepted the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I already had most of the Adobe CS4 suites installed. All components, including Photoshop, Illustrator Acrobat Pro 9 and the Adobe PDF printer driver continued to work fine. About 2 months ago
    my C drive was showing signs of failing and there had always been a problem of very slow startup and shutdown since the upgrade (about 3 minutes each) so I bit the bullet, bought a new SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10, followed by clean installs of
    all my other software including the Adobe CS4 suites.

Everything still went fine, Photoshop works but then I tried to use Acrobat or print to the PDF print driver. I get the message "Suite Product Activation Needed. Adobe Acrobat was installed as part of a suite. To enable Adobe Acrobat, please start another
    component of this suite (such as Adobe Photoshop)." But this doesn't work. Starting Photoshop (or worse, it's already running) makes no difference. Any ideas what I should do? Maybe uninstall the suites and reinstall?

BTW the clean install of W10 starts within 20 seconds of being handed over to from the BIOS.

pjaj43, Mar 14, 2016
  3. Adobe CS4 compatible and work well when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 ?

Adobe Creative Suite CS4, InDesign CS4, Photoshop CS4, etc. compatible and work well when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 ?

iRON MONKEY56, Mar 14, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    works fine for me

Check things like firewalls and AV

I'm using a network HP deskjet -- no probs at all with it. --perhaps re-install the printer again -- could be IP address screwed up / firewall / AV software / DHCP addressing hosed up. Also got a decent A3+ printer (epson) - no probs with that either.

Are your printers wired or wifi into the network - that can make a difference too.

Try also re-installing CS4 again.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 14, 2016
  5. stony41 Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

As I said, all my printers work OK with all software programs other than Photoshop CS4. This seems to be a bug that affects some users but not others. It also affects some printers but not others. I can print to one of my color printers and to a mono MFC. Very puzzling. If I were the only user being affected, I would reinstall the suite, but I see no advantage of reinstalling when others have reported this bug. Another workaround would be to save a file in Photoshop CS4 and then open it in another program in order to print it on my best printer.

I have Photoshop CS2 as well and printing works 100% in it. So unless there is a workaround with CS4 I can swap to CS2 when Photoshop is being used.

stony41, Mar 14, 2016
  6. stony41 Win User
    Just to complicate the issue, I have found that Print One Copy in Photoshop CS4 will work with all printers. I presume that I would need to set up printing preferences under Print beforehand in order to get what I want with Print One Copy. I will try next time I want to print something at a high standard to see if this works. Otherwise if I just want to print a scanned copy of something where quality isn't a factor, I can simply use the quick printing option. But why am I having to do this, Adobe?

stony41, Mar 15, 2016
  7. Barman58 Win User
    Barman58, Mar 15, 2016
  8. stony41 Win User

I am not expecting Adobe to do anything. I was just hoping for a workaround from another user. Adobe used to be very helpful over the phone but those days are well and truly over.

I have Bridge (various versions) but like a lot of Adobe users I have never been able to see what it could do for me. But I will take another look.

As I have said, I can work around this unexpected printing glitch.

stony41, Mar 15, 2016
  9. stony41 Win User
    I have had another look at this issue and have compared what I am used to when printing in Photoshop CS2. With the earlier version I can select Print / Properties and there I get a number of settings, such as Common User Settings, Additional Features, Media Type, Print Quality, etc. With Photoshop CS4 I can't see how to get to these and this may explain the 'no printer installed' problem. I can't see where I can select things such as Photo printing, Photo papers, Borderless Printing and the like. It seems as if the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.

Is this why I am getting a message saying that no printer is installed? I can't see why print settings that have always been in Photoshop are missing, or hard to find.

In InDesign CS4, such settings can be revealed by selecting Setup..., which doesn't seem to be in the Photoshop CS4 Print routine.

stony41, Mar 21, 2016
  10. Barman58 Win User
    Don't have a copy of PS4 to check but the settings is on the latest PS - PS CC 2015.1.2

Photoshop CS4 doesn't recognize two of my network printers under W10 [​IMG]

It may be an issue with your copy

Barman58, Mar 21, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Works on CS6 too -- I think there must be something wrong also with your copy. Can't see why CS4 should be different from CS2 or CS6.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 21, 2016
  12. stony41 Win User
    Thanks for your replies.

I have looked further into this and it does appear that CS4 isn't properly interpreting my printer drivers. Here are screenshots of what I get with CS2.

Instead of these I am getting in CS4 a general popup that seems to be coming from Adobe and doesn't have any of the settings that I can choose in CS2, such as draft or final, quality of paper, etc.

If indeed I am not getting what I should be getting, I will have to take up this situation with the person who sold me CS4 Master Collection.

But perhaps there is still a solution before I go that far?

stony41, Mar 21, 2016
  13. Barman58 Win User

One thing I have to ask is are these certified windows 10 drivers? or are you using previous OS drivers, as the actual 10 drivers are not available? The variable results you are getting could be due to the interaction required with the driver by Photoshop.

Photoshop stresses drivers far more that even other components of CS4

Unfortunately printer manufacturers are not known for the speed of release for drivers for new Operating systems, indeed many see a New OS as an excuse to sell more hardware by not updating drivers *Mad

Barman58, Mar 22, 2016
  14. stony41 Win User
    I have reinstalled the Canon iP7200 printer driver using the online file. Although when I originally installed it with the supplied disk Win 10 wasn't released, and the blurb with the Canon exe file briefly mentioned Win 10, the reinstallation was very quick, so I don't think the reinstallation was necessary because of Win 10. I got the same limp result, with no mention of the critical setup settings in Photoshop CS4 I want, and the failure to print unless PrintOneCopy is used. All very disappointing.

Of course, if Adobe had allowed me to reinstall CS2 using the special online files and not come up with the ridiculous message that CS2 was already installed (when it had been fully uninstalled) and that I should uninstall it before I tried to install it, I wouldn't have had to think about CS4 at all.

I feel trapped. Having had my CS2 installation rudely interrupted and having reluctantly bought CS4, I have neither operating to my satisfaction on my main PC. I got no help, or sympathy, from the pathetic Adobe chat support.

This is rapidly becoming the worst computer experience I have had, and I have had plenty of disappointments. I see no light at the end of the tunnel that Adobe has left me in.

stony41, Mar 22, 2016
  15. stony41 Win User
    I am now not quite so despondent since I have again checked my third-ranked printer, an old HP OfficeJet K5300. I knew that it would print from Photoshop CS4, but it turns out that, although a Print box pops up initially, pressing Print at the bottom of this box then pops up a secondary printer-specific Print box, the one I want. Pressing Preferences in this box, I get into the settings I require. This is ironic since the HP printer is quite old. The Canon and Epson printers that don't cooperate are quite new (less than a year old) and are simply unable to reveal the secondary box.

stony41, Mar 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Photoshop CS4 doesn't recognize two of my network printers under W10 - Similar Threads - Photoshop CS4 doesn't

2. Why my printer doesn't recognize PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my printer doesn't recognize PC?: Today I tried using the scan function, printer says not connected to PC. Connected it to new router/network. Put the CD in again and installed HP Smart. All to no avail, yet I can print a screen from my PC. I have not tried the fax as of yet. I THOUGHT this was easy, but not...
  3. Why my printer doesn't recognize PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my printer doesn't recognize PC?: Today I tried using the scan function, printer says not connected to PC. Connected it to new router/network. Put the CD in again and installed HP Smart. All to no avail, yet I can print a screen from my PC. I have not tried the fax as of yet. I THOUGHT this was easy, but not...
  4. Network printer online, but is not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network printer online, but is not recognized: I have a Cannon network laser printer and have verified that it is on line and connected to the network. I am unable to print from any program, it says when it does that the "Print Spooler is not running, however when I go to the services it shows that the spooler is running....
  5. Network printer online, but is not recognized

Network printer online, but is not recognized: I have a Cannon network laser printer and have verified that it is on line and connected to the network. I am unable to print from any program, it says when it does that the "Print Spooler is not running, however when I go to the services it shows that the spooler is running....
  6. Printer drivers are not accessible/recognized under Windows 11 on my laptop

Printer drivers are not accessible/recognized under Windows 11 on my laptop: When I upgare to Windows 11 on my laptop all printers which i use stop to function and it is not possible to print. I unistall all printers including drivers and install again, but if the device is multifunction the scanners only work. For printers it apperars under the...
  7. Network printer not recognize by my pc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network printer not recognize by my pc: HP Deskjet 2332 After updating from Windows 8 to Windows 10 my network printer is refusing to connect. When I go to printer settings and search for available printer it doesn't shows up. I'm afraid if it's compatible with new windows or not....
  8. Network printer not recognized in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network printer not recognized in Windows 10: I have two Windows 10 workstations and a Canon Pixma printer on my home network. One workstation can detect the printer and the other cannot (although it did until about a week ago). Why would this be happening? I am 99% sure it is not the printer settings, but an OS...
  9. Windows 10 not recognizing network printers

Windows 10 not recognizing network printers: This is the problem: whenever I bring my laptop computer turned on (sleep mode or totally on) into my office, automatically detecting my workgroup at the office and connecting to it, and send a document to print, windows sends the message saying that the printer is offline,...
  10. Network doesn't see printer

Network doesn't see printer: Windows 7 computer doesn't recognize printer on Windows 10 computer, ethernet network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-doesnt-see-printer/205cba90-60dd-4d43-bee8-403159218d8c