Windows 10: PIC18F4550 based serial ports under Windows 10

Discus and support PIC18F4550 based serial ports under Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Using VB6. These microprocessor based USB serial ports work on O/S prior to Win 10. MSCOMM32 fumbles along if your code is well wrapped in error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by K4CY, Sep 8, 2015.

1. K4CY Win User

PIC18F4550 based serial ports under Windows 10

Using VB6. These microprocessor based USB serial ports work on O/S prior to Win 10. MSCOMM32 fumbles along if your code is well wrapped in error handling. Moving to Win 10, MSCOMM32 doesn't recognize the port at all. Zip, nada. Code that used to enumerate serial ports (on earlier O/S) also fails to find the PIC18F4550 devices under Win 10. I have tried looking at the registry and at DCBs, but nothing. As a side note, the third party MSCOMM32 lookalike SCOMM32 works just fine on these devices under Win 10. It appears there's no third party driver involved as Microsoft provides the driver. So why are these particular devices invisible all of a sudden (all other types of USB serial devices I have continue to work as normal). TIA, Bob.

:)

K4CY, Sep 8, 2015

2. Registering/Launching SPP profile in HTCP3470

Hi,

I got a Windows Mobile application that needs to communicate to an external board through Bluetooth Serial Port Profile. External Board will support only Bluetooth SPP profile.

I bought a Windows Mobile device(HTC P3470) for running this application. This device doesn't support Serial Port Profile. Instead it supports Head Set Profile which is based on Serial port Profile. Is it possible to register/publish Serial Port service on
    this device? So that communication can be done through Bluetooth Serial Port.

Thanks & Regards,

Thangavel.P

ThangavelP, Sep 8, 2015
  3. zillionxx Win User
    Surface USB Ethernet Adapter not working in windows 10 on Dell inspiron

After uninstalled all the drivers under Universal Serial Port as well Surface USB Ethernet driver and reboot system, all Universal Serial Port drivers and Surface USB Ethernet driver were reinstalled by Windows 10. However it was the same issue. There is
    no network for the adapter.

Any more ideas? thanks

zillionxx, Sep 8, 2015
  4. K4CY Win User

To answer my own question, it appears that Microsoft have put some USB serial ports in the USBDevice ClassGUID. So, rewriting the serial port enum code to look in both Ports and USBDevice classGUIDs worked for me.

Thema:

1. PIC18F4550 based serial ports under Windows 10 - Similar Threads - PIC18F4550 based serial

2. Windows 10 and serial ports

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 and serial ports: Can windows 10 support serial ports. I installed a dual port serial card PCI Express and I cannot get it to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-serial-ports/4315b8d9-2ac5-4df6-8518-55aa038de787
  3. Windows 10 and serial ports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 and serial ports: Can windows 10 support serial ports. I installed a dual port serial card PCI Express and I cannot get it to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-serial-ports/4315b8d9-2ac5-4df6-8518-55aa038de787
  4. Windows 10 and serial ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Serial Port Driver

Serial Port Driver: I need to install a serial port driver. Where can I find such a driver? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/serial-port-driver/4a31f06a-0c90-4c1d-9379-6e1b6d982898
  6. Windows 10 Slow Serial/COM Ports?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Slow Serial/COM Ports?: I have a custom program that writes to a device on COM1. On Windows XP, it runs super fast but once I got it onto Windows 10, it works, but is super slow. It usually runs on the motherboard's Serial port, but I've also tried a USB to serial adapter with the same results. One...
  7. pci serial port in windows 10 is missing

pci serial port in windows 10 is missing: pci serial port in windows 10 is missing how do I fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pci-serial-port-in-windows-10-is-missing/58f08440-b3e3-4635-9e6d-27f36b64507f
  8. Serial com ports.

Serial com ports.: I am trying to use a USB-RS232 lead on my laptop. I cannot create any COM ports and none are there by default. If I try this on my desktop it works perfectly. When trying to create a COM port I get an invalid parameter error and the creation fails Windows 10 Home...
  9. BSOD serial-port

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD serial-port: BSOD when the program Siemens STARTER using the serial-port. 77830
  10. Are Serial Ports Available ?

Are Serial Ports Available ?: I have a Shuttle (SH67) Computer running WIN10, 64 bit, for an O/S. Are there cards available to give me Serial Ports ? A Google search was useless !! Thanks, Richard S. 31197