Windows 10: PIN issue I can't resolve via Google articles -- advice welcome!

Discus and support PIN issue I can't resolve via Google articles -- advice welcome! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello forum people I don't know, who are way smarter than me about computer stuff. This is my first post, first time ever reaching out for help. Please... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by shellsbells, Feb 23, 2017.

1. PIN issue I can't resolve via Google articles -- advice welcome!

Hello forum people I don't know, who are way smarter than me about computer stuff. This is my first post, first time ever reaching out for help. Please be kind. *Smile

I'm running Windows 10 on a well functioning PC which I scan routinely and which I do not believe to have been compromised in any way. I protect with Avast and run Spybot from time to time. I am the owner and primary user of this computer. When I took it out of the box a few years back, I set up password access for sign on. At some point I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

My partner rarely uses my computer but did so a few months back, after which he reported that he was prompted to set up a PIN number, to sign on. Like me, he has an advanced degree (i.e. we're not dummies), but he admitted he was confused about why that happened (given the "password as sign on" status quo), and also, about exactly what he'd done, or how to fix it going forward. Thanks, hubby. *Rolleyes

Of course he shared this PIN number with me.

A week back I decided I wanted to go back to the password method of signing in, and while I've read and tried every single thing I found online about how to do so, I can't seem to GET RID OF the pinpad, or the need to sign in with a PIN. Feelin' kinda... not... smart... about that.

Tonight, when checking my account Settings, under PIN it actually says "Add" -- as if I don't have PIN access already set up. Which I do. I tested this by restarting my computer, and I was shown a pinpad (but no box in which to enter a password) at sign on. "Account settings \ Sign in options" still offers me the option to "Add" a PIN -- again, as if there isn't already one in place.

In case you're wondering, there's only one user account, and that's me, as Administrator.

I'm an intelligent person but admit being utterly flummoxed as to how to dump this stupid PIN thing at this point. It annoys me, but the larger issue at this point is that for all intents and purposes, I'm not able to change my sign in credentials because I can't even see that a PIN has been set up!, which over time becomes a security risk.

Anyway... stopping droning here. Do you have any help or advice to offer? It seems liks this should be such a straightforward issue, but no matter what I try, I'm not having any luck.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Pic of pinpad screen (my Microsoft account info redacted) attached.

(Kinda wondering if this is even the Microsoft pinpad screen at all. Maybe I AM compromised. Help!)

:)

shellsbells, Feb 23, 2017
  2. NormanB14 Win User

No Voice Navigation with Lumia 830

Have I read it correctly that there is NO voice navigation on Here+ maps? I have no voice navigation on Co-Pilot or Google Maps either. I contacted Vodafone who inform me that it is a Software problem and not a Hardware issue. I have contacted Nokia via
    Chat and came off with head spinning! I hope this is the correct forum.

Any advice welcomed.

NormanB14, Feb 23, 2017
  3. vorob Win User
    Pin Login won't work on Win 10 CU

Before Win CU I could login via Pin code with no issue. After it there are no way to login via Pin code. I need to turn it ON. But I can't do this because of described in first post issue. Simply can't add it.

Yep, i'm currently login via MS account password.

vorob, Feb 23, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

PIN issue I can't resolve via Google articles -- advice welcome!

Hi Shellsbells, welcome to Ten Forums.

That PIN-pad has absolutely nothing to do with Windows 10, which doesn't even have a PIN-pad even when a sign-in PIN is used. That PIN-pad belongs to a third party program which either you or your partner have manually installed. Other possibility is that the PIN-pad belongs to some bloatware application (bloatware = additional third party software pre-installed on new PC). I've never seen that pad myself, can't tell to which program it belongs.

When the real Windows sign-in PIN is set up, sign-in screen asking PIN looks like this:

PIN issue I can't resolve via Google articles -- advice welcome! [​IMG]

An input field is shown for you to enter PIN. No PIN-pad. Clicking the Sign-in options link under the input field lets you select password sign-in (#1) or PIN sign-in (#2):

When Windows sign-in PIN is set, Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options shows Change and Remove buttons instead of Add button:

It is quite impossible to tell how to get rid of that PIN-pad without not knowing to which program it belongs.

5. Kari, thanks so much for the fast and articulate reply. I appreciate you!

I understand all of what you wrote. There's still a puzzle, though: at the exact same time this pin pad thing appeared, my option to input my password at sign in disappeared. So even if this pin pad is not Windows or Microsoft, somehow, it has still taken the place as a "gate keeper" and password replacement for my computer, whenever I restart my computer.

Do you know of any software or malware that acts in place of Windows sign in, essentially replacing it? How might I figure this out?

I'm starting to wonder if my husband installed something, accidentally or purposely. I don't know what I'm dealing with here. I don't know how to resolve the problem.

shellsbells, Feb 23, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    If you have an HP All-in-One computer, I might have found something using reverse image search. See this HP support article: HP Support document - HP Support Center

Screenshots of HP SimplePass application's PIN-pad shown in above mentioned article are similar than the one you posted, I think this is it. Scrolling down the article you'll find a section titled Deleting or modifying your HP SimplePass.

7. Kari, you're a miracle worker. I tried a reverse photo lookup but got no results so thank you for knowing how to do what I could not. Your suggestion was my fix -- thank you! Yes, I have an HP tower. I've never explored any of its password saving/sign in options (because I didn't want to!) so I didn't think to look there for an answer.

You're a miracle worker -- thank you so much for the personal assist. Can I do something for you? Cookies? Candy?

I appreciate you. *Smile Thanks again!

shellsbells, Feb 27, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

No cookies or candy for me, I have healthy habits. Whisky is OK, send a case (real stuff, not that brown sugary schnapps you Americans call bourbon!).

I'll PM my mailing address *Wink

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PIN issue I can't resolve via Google articles -- advice welcome! - Similar Threads - PIN issue can't

2. How to moderate bots/trolls via article conversation section/article comments?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to moderate bots/trolls via article conversation section/article comments?: I'm a massive fan of the conversations about articles using comments, it gets the conversation started between people and their different views something the USA is in great need of currently. Unfortunately, bots from either side of the political spectrum using a specific...
  3. How to moderate bots/trolls via article conversation section/article comments?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to moderate bots/trolls via article conversation section/article comments?: I'm a massive fan of the conversations about articles using comments, it gets the conversation started between people and their different views something the USA is in great need of currently. Unfortunately, bots from either side of the political spectrum using a specific...
  4. Cannot resolve One Drive sync issue Google Chrome.Ink

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot resolve One Drive sync issue Google Chrome.Ink: I cannot fix the One Drive sync error related to Google Chrome.Ink I did find a purported solution in a a Microsoft forum from 2020 but cannot duplicate the suggested fix procedure. I have also reset One Drive but got a message that it could not resolve the Google Chrome.Ink...
  5. Cannot resolve One Drive sync issue Google Chrome.Ink

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot resolve One Drive sync issue Google Chrome.Ink: I cannot fix the One Drive sync error related to Google Chrome.Ink I did find a purported solution in a a Microsoft forum from 2020 but cannot duplicate the suggested fix procedure. I have also reset One Drive but got a message that it could not resolve the Google Chrome.Ink...
  6. Cannot resolve One Drive sync issue Google Chrome.Ink

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Welcome Pin - cannot change it

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Welcome Pin - cannot change it: Hello, I am trying to change my Welcome Pin but am not able to do so. I am told that this option is not currently available. When I click to learn more I am asked to log in with my MS account but it will then not recognise it as not a corporate account. This is a...
  8. Advice would be most welcome

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advice would be most welcome: Hi members. I'm new in the forum so please be gentle with me. You will quick;y see that I am not very computer literate. Recently my faithful computer which was then running Win 7 became unstable for some reason and I decided to back up all my files etc to Cds (7 in total)....
  9. Bluetooth quality issues, any advice is welcome

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bluetooth quality issues, any advice is welcome: I am dissatisfied with the sound quality from my Odyssey HMD. When I attempted to use my PowerBeats3 wireless headphones, the sound was (of course) awesome but kept breaking up. It doesn't matter if my Bluetooth controllers are on or not, it continues to happen. I am using a...
  10. Google Chrome - Resolving Hosts Issue

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome - Resolving Hosts Issue: I'm interested if anyone has information regarding the Resolving Hosts issue on Chrome. For several weeks, while using Chrome, most web pages took quite a long time to load. The browser flashed the message in the lowerbar "resolving hosts". After quite a bit of research,...