Windows 10: PIN not an option for my Local Account or MS Account

Discus and support PIN not an option for my Local Account or MS Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello - I've been researching why I do not have the PIN option under my Sign-On options for my local and Microsoft accounts but I'm not having any luck... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MrBeaker, Aug 15, 2015.

1. MrBeaker Win User

PIN not an option for my Local Account or MS Account

Hello - I've been researching why I do not have the PIN option under my Sign-On options for my local and Microsoft accounts but I'm not having any luck finding out why. This is a clean install of Windows 10 and it is activated. Everything else works flawlessly except there isn't an option for me to use a PIN to login.

Has anyone else seen this?

:)

MrBeaker, Aug 15, 2015
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 15, 2015
  3. RGould_ Win User
    Windows 10 change local acocunt password that is linked to Microsoft Account.

When I installed windows 10, I signed in with a local account. Later on, I linked it to my Microsoft account. I can sign in locally with the local account password or the MS account PIN. More often than not, I remote into my computer from work or home laptop.
    RDP uses the local account password. I want to change the local account password without affecting the MS account password. How do I do this? Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't have the "change password" option, and using "control passwords2" (run box) -> "Advanced" tab
    -> "Advanced" button -> "Users" -> right-click on user -> "set password" option says I will lose data.

Further, is it possible to add 2FA with the MS Authenticator app so I have to approve remote sign-in attempts?

RGould_, Aug 15, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

I believe that I saw it sometime during the Preview builds, but not for 10240.

Go into settings/accounts/sign-in options. Can you set a PIN? (You may have to go through a verification through email.)

bobkn, Aug 15, 2015
  5. MrBeaker Win User
    My Sign-In options screen doesn't even show an option for a PIN. Odd..

MrBeaker, Aug 15, 2015
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    I had the pin option in build 10130, but it failed on the upgrade to 10158, and remained broken upgrading through all intermediate builds to 10240. I then reset that build, the pin may have been working, but I lost the start menu tiles, so I next did a clean install, with the same insider preview 10240, and against all indications it worked fine, including pin and Start menu, but it never activated, even til today. There was a change pin option in settings that did nothing during the failure builds.

Fafhrd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PIN not an option for my Local Account or MS Account - Similar Threads - PIN option Local

2. No option to log into local account with PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to log into local account with PIN: I cannot log into my desktop computer Windows 10 with my PIN. It was working find, but after relocating the computer and turning it back on, it no longer gives me an option to use my PIN to log in and I can't remember the password. When I select reset my password, it takes me...
  3. No option to log into local account with PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No option to log into local account with PIN: I cannot log into my desktop computer Windows 10 with my PIN. It was working find, but after relocating the computer and turning it back on, it no longer gives me an option to use my PIN to log in and I can't remember the password. When I select reset my password, it takes me...
  4. No option to log into local account with PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can not change MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  6. Can not change MS account to local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  7. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  8. local account pin

local account pin: I've forgotten the pin/password for my local account, how do I recover it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-account-pin/194f8588-4c2e-4862-ba43-444e3b45b199
  9. local account unable to switch to MS account

local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  10. Connect my MS account or use Local account..?

Connect my MS account or use Local account..?: Another compelling reason to use an MS account is that your digital licence gets linked to your hardware id, making it easier to reactivate in even pc fails to activate due to a hardware change/issue.