Windows 10: Pin to Start

Discus and support Pin to Start in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Before the Anniversary Update I had added a registry key to add a Pin to Start option to the right click Context Menu to allow me to send individual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CurlyQ, Oct 19, 2016.

1. CurlyQ Win User

Pin to Start

Before the Anniversary Update I had added a registry key to add a Pin to Start option to the right click Context Menu to allow me to send individual files to the Start Menu. It worked great. After the update, the Pin to Start option disappeared from the Context Menu. The registry key is still there, but apparently not working. I even tried reinstalling it, but no change. I know there is a work-around and you can cut and paste a short-cut directly to the Start Menu folder, but that is a hassle. I'd like to get the Context Menu to work again if anyone can give me any help. Thanks.

:)

CurlyQ, Oct 19, 2016
  2. Jim W44 Win User

Pin to Start

After running the recent Windows 10 update, I lost my Edge browser. Was able to add it back in settings, but it's not showing in my Start menu anymore. When I tried to "Pin to Start" that feature was greyed out.

Jim W44, Oct 19, 2016
  3. pin to start

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

Please refer to the link below.

I cannot pin websites to start menu.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Oct 19, 2016
  4. PhilCo Win User

Pin to Start

I have exactly the same problem, and occurred after the same update, in my case I had the option to pin to Start Menu on right click, but that has gone, and if I try to drag and drop...nothing! I have spent all afternoon trying various options given on the internet, but none have worked. I hope that someone has a solution

PhilCo, Oct 19, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
  6. PhilCo Win User
    PhilCo, Oct 19, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello PhilCo, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

"Pin to Start" for files is not supported by that tutorial. It's only for the usual apps.

I have read that after applying the methods on the Internet for adding "Pin to Start" for files, you'll have to create a shortcut of the file you want to pin first, then "Pin to Start" the shortcut. It's not very practical to me, but it'll do the trick. You might see if that may be the case after using the .reg file you had previously used for this.

Brink, Oct 19, 2016
  8. CurlyQ Win User

Pin to Start

Thanks, Brink... creating a shortcut works. Like you say, not practical, but better than cut and paste. Cheers

CurlyQ, Oct 20, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Pin to Start

1. Pin to Start - Similar Threads - Pin Start

2. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows: as said in title.I do NOT want the make a bat file shortcut and pin that.I do NOT want to hear about adding it to the Start-UP folder.I need the line of code to ad to the RegEdit to allow for .Bat files to be pinned/dragged and drop directly to my start menu. I know it is...
  3. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows: as said in title.I do NOT want the make a bat file shortcut and pin that.I do NOT want to hear about adding it to the Start-UP folder.I need the line of code to ad to the RegEdit to allow for .Bat files to be pinned/dragged and drop directly to my start menu. I know it is...
  4. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  6. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  7. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

8. Cant find or favorite a folder as the pin to start is not available on new windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant find or favorite a folder as the pin to start is not available on new windows.: I cant pin a folder to favorites like the previous office version. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-or-favorite-a-folder-as-the-pin-to-start/5bd4c187-0461-4bf0-b5aa-f8cc72a6aa84
  9. Cant find or favorite a folder as the pin to start is not available on new windows.

Cant find or favorite a folder as the pin to start is not available on new windows.: I cant pin a folder to favorites like the previous office version. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-or-favorite-a-folder-as-the-pin-to-start/5bd4c187-0461-4bf0-b5aa-f8cc72a6aa84
  10. Turn off the pin option when starting my desktop

Turn off the pin option when starting my desktop: I also have a desktop with windows 11 and when I attempt to follow the instructions on how to disable the pin option, the disabled button is greyed out and unable to select it. Why do I have to have a pin option to sign into my own computer in my home. These tech companies...