Windows 10: 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10 How to "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" Apps in Windows 10 Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Raven2099, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Raven2099 Win User

'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10

How to: 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10

How to "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" Apps in Windows 10

Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to find, see, open, and switch between your apps. You can also see the specify how taskbar buttons group together when you have more than one window open.

Apps you pin to your taskbar are stored and referenced in both locations below.

In the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband

In a folder:
    %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

*note If you have Hide app icons on the taskbar in tablet mode.

This tutorial will show you how to Pin to taskbar and Unpin from taskbar apps for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from File Explorer context menu
    • Option Two: "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from File Explorer ribbon
    • Option Three: "Pin to taskbar" by Dragging App to Taskbar
    • Option Four: "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from Taskbar
    • Option Five: "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from Start
    • Option Six: "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from All apps

EXAMPLE: Pinned apps on taskbar

'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from File Explorer context menu
    1. While on your desktop on in File Explorer, right click, press and hold, or press and hold the "Shift" key and right click on an app (ex: explorer) or shortcut of an app, and do step 2 or step 3 below.

2. If the app is currently pinned to your taskbar, then you can click/tap on Unpin from taskbar to remove it. (see screenshot below)

3. If the app is currently not pinned to your taskbar, then you can click/tap on Pin to taskbar to add it. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from File Explorer ribbon
    1. While in File Explorer, select an app (ex: "regedit.exe") or shortcut of an app that you want to pin or unpin. (see screenshots below)

2. Click/tap on the Application Tools Manage tab.

3. Click/tap on the Pin to taskbar button in the ribbon.

OPTION THREE [/i] "Pin to taskbar" by Dragging App to Taskbar
    1. While on your desktop, in File Explorer, or in Start menu, drag an app (ex: notepad.exe) or shortcut of an app that you want to pin to the taskbar until you see Pin to Taskbar, and release to drop. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from Taskbar
    1. While on your taskbar, right click or press and hold on an app (ex: Command Prompt) icon on the taskbar to open it's jump list, and do step 2 or step 3 below.

2. If the app is currently pinned to your taskbar, then you can click/tap on Unpin this program from taskbar to remove it. (see screenshot below)

3. If the opened app is currently not pinned to your taskbar, then you can click/tap on Pin this program to taskbar to add it. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from Start
    1. Open your Start menu, right click or press and hold on any app tile (ex: Store) on the Start screen (right side), and do step 2 or step 3 below.

2. If the app is currently pinned to your taskbar, then click/tap More, and click/tap on Unpin from taskbar to remove it. (see screenshot below)

3. If the app is currently not pinned to your taskbar, then click/tap More, and click/tap on Pin to taskbar to add it. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] "Pin to taskbar" or "Unpin from taskbar" from All apps
    1. Open step 2 or step 3 below.

2. If the app is currently pinned to your taskbar, then click/tap More, and click/tap on Unpin from taskbar to remove it. (see screenshot below)

3. If the app is currently not pinned to your taskbar, then click/tap More, and click/tap on Pin to taskbar to add it. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Raven2099, Feb 3, 2017

2. how to unpin from taskbar

Hi,

More information on unpinning from taskbar.

How to 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar" Apps in Windows 10

How to Reset and Clear All Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10

Reset and Clear Taskbar Pinned Apps in Windows 10

See the "Related Tutorials" at the end section both of those for more.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Feb 3, 2017
  3. Shawn Brink, Feb 3, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 3, 2017
Thema:

1. 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - 'Pin taskbar' 'Unpin

2. Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working: I'm at the end of my rope trying to fix this. Not sure "when" this started by I can no longer pin apps to the taskbar nor can I unpin apps that are already pinned. I don't even have the "option" to attempt either action. When I right click on an app that is in the taskbar I...
  3. Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working: I'm at the end of my rope trying to fix this. Not sure "when" this started by I can no longer pin apps to the taskbar nor can I unpin apps that are already pinned. I don't even have the "option" to attempt either action. When I right click on an app that is in the taskbar I...
  4. Windows unpins apps from the taskbar

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows unpins apps from the taskbar: Hello,I would like to ask, if there is someone who has a problem with pinned application to taskbar. When I download app from Microsoft Store like Messenger or WhatsApp, I pin it to taskbar. However, when I run the app, it unpins and in Start Menu it shows something like...
  5. Xbox app unpins itself from taskbar.

Xbox app unpins itself from taskbar.: I've had Xbox gamepass for PC for several months and I've noticed that whenever there is an update to the app, the app unpins itself from my taskbar, and I have to repin it. Why does this happen? Is this a feature and not a bug? If so, please reconsider....
  6. Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!: My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 13 7000, updated to Windows 10 Home version 1083. I am having trouble pinning and unpinning apps to my taskbar. The issue is a bit hard to explain, but I will try my best to describe it. I've also attached screenshots to help clarify. When I...
  7. Query re pinning and unpinning apps to taskbar

Query re pinning and unpinning apps to taskbar: I tried using Edge and as I liked it I right clicked the app listing and the pinned it to the taskbar. What I want to know is how to put that Edge listing back with the other apps because if I unpin it from the taskbar how does one reattach Edge to the listings. 119565
  8. Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display...
  9. Pin and Unpin People Contacts on Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Pin and Unpin People Contacts on Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Pin and Unpin People Contacts on Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Pin and Unpin People Contacts on Taskbar in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 16184, there is a new People Bar icon on the taskbar notification area. Whether you want to share a photo, make...
  10. Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar: I just noticed today that I am unable to right click on an item on the taskbar making it not possible to pin or unpin. Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? 21007

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to unpin an taskbar icon using command line

2. windows 10 unpin apps from taskbar