Windows 10: Pinned Folder Shortcut Problems / Irritation

Discus and support Pinned Folder Shortcut Problems / Irritation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello 10 Forums, I'm hoping that this will be an easy one. I spend most of my time in Linux && am just recently becoming a regular user of windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by buzzbored, Feb 21, 2016.

1. buzzbored Win User

Pinned Folder Shortcut Problems / Irritation

Hello 10 Forums, I'm hoping that this will be an easy one. I spend most of my time in Linux && am just recently becoming a regular user of windows 10. The Problem: I like OR would like to use the pinned shortcuts accessed on my taskbars folder icon by right-clicking. The pictures, music, videos, and recorded tv work as expected. The Downloads and Documents return a message, 'the item you selected is unavailable etcetera etcetera' I would like to use them. Here are some images to explain.

Pinned Folder Shortcut Problems / Irritation [​IMG]

The only oddity if there is one is I run 2ssd's and 1hdd. One Arch Linux, one Windows 10, and a 4tb storage drive that contains the account folders for windows 10 (Documents, Videos, etc). All works well except shortcutting to open the Downloads && Documents folders from the taskbar the others respond as expected. If you can see in the above images the paths shown are correct mappings to targets.

Any GOOD resolution will be greatly appreciated.

:)

buzzbored, Feb 21, 2016
  2. suat.cini Win User

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Create the shortcut at a place ( in a folder, desktop, etc. ) that is convenient for you, right-click the shortcut and click Pin to Start menu or pin to Taskbar.

If this is not working for you, then you may have a system problem, such as registry corruption.

suat.cini, Feb 21, 2016
  3. How do I pin a folder to taskbar in Windows 10

Option 1: Create a custom Taskbar Toolbar, pointing to a folder that contains the shortcuts.

Option 2: Pin an executable, say notepad to Taskbar. Then open this folder:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Right-click the Notepad shortcut Properties and change the target to a folder path.

Click OK. The taskbar icon wouldn't update immediately.

Option 3 (Easiest): Create a desktop shortcut to the folder you want to Pin to Taskbar. Target should be prefixed by explorer.exe. (say explorer.exe d:\mytools)

Right-click on the shortcut and Pin to Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 21, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Your image is too small for me to read.

I pinned File Explorer to the Taskbar (I don't normally have it there). When I right click on it and select Documents or Downloads, they open correctly in File Explorer. My User folders are all still on the C: boot drive (250GB SSD).

Can anyone who has relocated their User folders to another drive try this?

Ztruker, Feb 23, 2016
  5. buzzbored Win User
    Thanks for getting back. I will load some larger images.

Something that I didn't notice before. If I right-click on the folder > right-click on Documents > then choose open it works properly (like in the second picture). The first image shows the problem response. The other 2 images from my original post were the paths: under the general tab Location is D:\ && under the Location tab D:\Documents . The same methodology D:\something is listed in the working and non-working pinned quick-links.

buzzbored, Feb 23, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Has to have something to do with you moving the Users folders. I can't find any mention of a fix for this.

Ztruker, Feb 24, 2016
  7. buzzbored Win User
    I thought it must be a new os problem. But I find it strange that some of the folders; music, desktop, videos, and recorded tv work fine. It's just documents (the one I really want), pictures, and downloads. Hold my roll, fixed it... If this comes up for anyone else; right-click the file browser in the taskbar, right-click the non functioning folder, choose properties, on the location tab (it's gone now that it's fixed) choose to restore defaults and click apply - you will get a message saying, "do you want to move all of the contents, something, something, select NO, then OK. Now try and it should be fixed. This makes me happy, it was driving me nuts.

buzzbored, Feb 24, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

So you told it to do something, then told it not to do it and the problem is fixed anyway?
    Strange indeed.
    Glad it's fixed though.

Ztruker, Feb 24, 2016
  9. buzzbored Win User
    new os quirks. thank you for your time ~

buzzbored, Feb 24, 2016
  10. blueworld Win User
    Same problem here. Just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and discovered that four folders I had pinned to the File Explorer jumplist in Win 7 are now broken in Win 10. Also have the affected folders on a separate, non-system drive.

Clicking them produces the same error in your screenshots. There's no apparent way to remove or unpin them. Only workarounds have been manually re-pinning these folders from their source location with the drawback of double pins (but they all work). Or your observation about right clicking and then selecting Open.

Was excited to see you figured it out, but lost you starting here:

I don't see a "location tab" under properties.

Any ideas?

blueworld, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Pinned Folder Shortcut Problems / Irritation - Similar Threads - Pinned Folder Shortcut

2. Problem with shortcut and folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with shortcut and folder: I searched for a folder that I have in my computer since 2021, but I could not find it anywhere, like if it got deleted. Right after, I found a shortcut from that folder that I remember I created at the same time as the folder, but whenever I try to open it I got the error...
  3. Problem with shortcut and folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with shortcut and folder: I searched for a folder that I have in my computer since 2021, but I could not find it anywhere, like if it got deleted. Right after, I found a shortcut from that folder that I remember I created at the same time as the folder, but whenever I try to open it I got the error...
  4. Problem with shortcut and folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pinned Desktop Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned Desktop Folder Problem: So I've had an issue for a while with the Pinned desktop folder that appears when you right-click on Windows Explorer in the taskbar, where it wouldn't open the desktop folder, but nor would it allow me to delete it. Kinda like this: I press delete and nothing happens at all....
  6. Pinned Desktop Folder Problem

Pinned Desktop Folder Problem: So I've had an issue for a while with the Pinned desktop folder that appears when you right-click on Windows Explorer in the taskbar, where it wouldn't open the desktop folder, but nor would it allow me to delete it. Kinda like this: I press delete and nothing happens at all....
  7. very irritating problem

very irritating problem: "help" pages in ms apps and even in chrome and edge always pop up even i dont click them, sometimes they pop up when i am typing, ms office apps show the help bar and sometimes crashes the app, and i cant close them, some times i can but it is not that long till they show...
  8. Automatically pin shortcuts in folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatically pin shortcuts in folder: Where dose windose 10 keep the real pinned information? I moved all my shortcuts over but it ignores them in the "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" folder, it will put a duplicate there once I re pin it using right click but...
  9. Pin Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin Shortcut: I have created a shortcut on my Desktop that will take me to a specific url - is it possible to pin this shortcut to the taskbar? Many thanks 40837
  10. Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut)

in Windows 10 Support
    Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut): I'd been using this method on Windows 7: Windows Explorer Taskbar Icon - Change Open To Target And I take it that this is how it's done in 8: File Explorer Taskbar Icon - Change Open To Target Will the latter tutorial also work here in 10? 10574