Windows 10: Pinned icons disappear once I open them.

Discus and support Pinned icons disappear once I open them. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I'm new to Win10 from win7. Sometimes I want to open more than one instance of something. E.g. a web browser, or wndows explorer. But when I open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by peanutaxis, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Pinned icons disappear once I open them.

Hi

I'm new to Win10 from win7. Sometimes I want to open more than one instance of something. E.g. a web browser, or wndows explorer. But when I open either of these from pinned shortcuts on the taskbar the icon disappears! This is not only annoying but completely pointless. Seriously, I didn't PIN it there because I wanted it to DISAPPEAR. I've notice that I can right click on the program on the taskbar to open another instance, but I don't want to. I just want my icons where I well put them. Can this be fixed?

*Sad

thanks in advance.

:)

peanutaxis, Sep 3, 2016

2. Why Can I No Longer Pin Microsoft Maps to the Task Bar?

For some time, the shortcut was pinned to the Task Bar. Then the icon disappeared, but the app would still open if I clicked where the icon once was. Then that no longer worked. When I right click the app after locating it with search, I'm only given
    two choices: Pin to Start, or Remove from Device History. What gives?

Curmudgeon10, Sep 3, 2016
  3. Albeeone Win User
    OneDrive files won't stay pinned to taskbar

If a pin an excel files that is saved in my OneDrive folder to the pinned excel files list in the taskbar, once I open that file it disappears from the pinned list. This only happens with files saved in the OneDrive folder. Any files saved in my documents
    remain pinned to the taskbar. How can I get the OneDrive files to stay pinned? They stayed pinned before but just started disappearing this last week.

Albeeone, Sep 3, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Pinned icons disappear once I open them.

That's not how Win 10 behaves. I'm saying no more given the language used. Sorry.

dalchina, Sep 3, 2016
  5. In the first shot nothing is open. There is a firefox shortcut (supposedly) pinned to the taskbar.
    In the secnd shot I have Firefox open. There is now no shortcut pinned to the taskbar.
    Windows 10 does this for any shortcut that I "pin" to the taskbar.

Pinned icons disappear once I open them. [​IMG]

peanutaxis, Sep 5, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello peanutaxis, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Your second screenshot shows a button for Firefox instead of an icon. The button shows when you have "Combine taskbar buttons" set to "Never" instead of "Always, hide labels".

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Is the Firefox still pinned to the taskbar as an icon when you close Firefox?

Brink, Sep 5, 2016
  7. Thanks for the reply. Can I never combine taskbar buttons but keep the pinned icon there even when the program is open?

thanks

peanutaxis, Sep 7, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

That setting is for either showing buttons or icons of opened windows on the taskbar. For what I think you're wanting, you would want to set it to "Always, hide labels".

Brink, Sep 7, 2016
  9. ..........................................how do I do that?

peanutaxis, Sep 11, 2016
  10. Right click on the taskbar and select Settings. Then look down at the bottom of the Window that opens, look for "Combine taskbar buttons", set it to Always, hide labels.

alphanumeric, Sep 11, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 11, 2016
  12. I don't want to combine taskbar buttons.

I want to be able to open more than one instance of a program from my pinned shortcut - that's what 'pinned' means - without having to click multiple times with multiple buttons on an existing taskbar button just to get a new instance. And I don't want to combine taskbar buttons, because that's a pain in the ass for the same reason - you have to click multiple times to get the wondow I want.

This is ridiculous.

peanutaxis, Sep 17, 2016
  13. Pinned icons disappear once I open them.

I'm just not getting what the issue is? Both screen shots show Firefox on the taskbar so it is pinned, it didn't disappear? I open multiple instances or Explorer routinely. I just hold the shift key down and click the folder Icon a second time. One mouse click for each instance I want to launch. If I then hover my cursor over the folder Icon I get two thumbnails showing the two instances. I can then select the one I want, with one mouse click.

alphanumeric, Sep 17, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I don't understand what you want either. Please clarify.

The first screenshot you posted without Firefox opened shows a Firefox icon pinned to the taskbar.

The second screenshot you posted with Firefox opened shows a Firefox button on the taskbar. It shows a button instead of icon since you have "Never combine" set and not "Always, hide labels".

To open multiple instances of the pinned program, you can do either option below:
    • Right click on pinned icon on taskbar, and click on the program.
    • Press and hold "Shift", click on the pinned icon, and release Shift.

Brink, Sep 17, 2016
  15. 's possible. Never mind.
    Yeah that's annoying. I want my icon to stay there AND a button instance AND not combined buttons. I don't think it

peanutaxis, Sep 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Pinned icons disappear once I open them. - Similar Threads - Pinned icons disappear

2. Icons for open programs disappearing in taksbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons for open programs disappearing in taksbar: I am noticing weird behaviour with the icons of open programmes. Sometimes icons disappear. In some cases, it will come back, but in most cases it will stay hidden untill i start the programm again or untill i reboot. You can still see that the programm is open, by the bar on...
  3. Icons for open programs disappearing in taksbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons for open programs disappearing in taksbar: I am noticing weird behaviour with the icons of open programmes. Sometimes icons disappear. In some cases, it will come back, but in most cases it will stay hidden untill i start the programm again or untill i reboot. You can still see that the programm is open, by the bar on...
  4. Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them: Jump lists are great, a real help for productivity. But I've found recently that a jump list with a window open behind it just disappears -- there's no way to select a window icon from the jump list, unless I close or minimise the window that's behind it. Rather spoils the...
  5. Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them

Windows 11 jump list icons disappear when there's an open window behind them: Jump lists are great, a real help for productivity. But I've found recently that a jump list with a window open behind it just disappears -- there's no way to select a window icon from the jump list, unless I close or minimise the window that's behind it. Rather spoils the...
  6. Blue Mountain icon displays instead of photos after I use them once.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Blue Mountain icon displays instead of photos after I use them once.: When I download photos into a folder, I can see the photo icon. However, after I select them for use or upload them, they are replaced with the blue mountain icon. How can I restore the thumbnail image?...
  7. Blank icons and unable to open them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank icons and unable to open them: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/HotdoggoPlayz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iirw1g/blank_icons_and_unable_to_open_them/
  8. System icons not opening when I click on them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System icons not opening when I click on them: Hi all, Hoping I could get some help. I've googled around but not been able to find a fix yet. I'm trying to open things from the system tray (WiFi, action centre, date time etc) but unable to open most of them. Further, I can't seem to open and view available networks from...
  9. Icons once they are pinned show small versions and a square

Icons once they are pinned show small versions and a square: I have an issue with Windows 10. When I first installed Windows 10 everything was fine but I have found that the icons pinned to the taskbar are the correct icon but they are very small and inside a square. In my case its a blue square. Any way to get those icons back to the...
  10. Icons wrong/text disappears until I hover mouse over them

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons wrong/text disappears until I hover mouse over them: Will post links to pictures underneath of issue but basically icons started looking weird today on the action centre and the windows bit in the left bottom corner. When I put mouse over them they go back to normal but then weird again. Any help? Thanks 1 2 3 4 104814