Windows 10: Placement of new icons on the desktop

Discus and support Placement of new icons on the desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have an issue that has been nagging me for years now and through multiple versions of Windows and am hoping someone can help me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shingy, Mar 27, 2017.

1. shingy Win User

Placement of new icons on the desktop

Hello everyone,

I have an issue that has been nagging me for years now and through multiple versions of Windows and am hoping someone can help me finally figure it out. I use my desktop as my workspace - in addition to shortcuts it also contains files and folders I am actively working with. Likewise, it is also the default location where files are saved from my browser and where new PDFs are put when I print.

The problem is that any time a new file/icon is added to the desktop, it is place in the top left, right underneath the "This PC" icon and pushes all the existing icons down a spot. Instead, I'd prefer it to go to the bottom right corner like it seemingly always did in earlier versions of Windows. I've tried different options like turning off auto arrange and playing with the sort by options, but nothing works.

Seems kind of silly, I know - but it bugs me for some reason! Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jason

:)

shingy, Mar 27, 2017

2. Windows 10 Multiple desktops with different icons on the desktop

I would like to reiterate the question:

Windows 10 multiple desktops with different icons on each desktop

A solution is needed that supports virtual desktops for both window management/placement and icon management/placement in windows 10.

The window management is already available in Windows 10, which is appreciated.

The ability to select which icons to place (a.k.a. "make visible") on a given virtual desktop would be an efficiency boost for users.

(BTW - Dexpot does not support Windows 10, and has not seen any update since spring 2016).

Please let the community know about the progress in this matter.

Best regards,

DJ

DirkJackobs, Mar 27, 2017
  3. Anonde Win User
    Latest Creators update has left me with a frozen Start Menu.

Not getting any error messages but start menu completely frozen and can not access programs that way or turn off the computer.

Updates were installed on 28/4/2017.

Also noticing that desktop icons are being rearranged from my custom placement to 'all on the left side' placement with each start up.

I have not tried to create a new profile yet but have signed out, shut down and restarted several times.

The Search Bar is also frozen and I can not type into it.

Anonde, Mar 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the default behaviour should be that when a new item is saved to the desktop (rather than being dragged to it) it should take the next free space, seeking a space in columns across the screen starting in the left column.

(Maybe it's different in, say, Arabic Windows (right to left?)!)

Do you have auto arrange off and align to grid on? (Rt click on blank area of desktop, View)

The third answer here may be of interest
    New files put in upper left corner on desktop - Microsoft Community

There are also 3rd party tools that preserve desktop icon positions which you will find mentioned in threads here about desktop icons rearranging.

If nothing else ...
    Is the behaviour different in
    a. a new user (for test purposes)
    b. in Safe Mode

dalchina, Mar 27, 2017
  5. shingy Win User
    Hi Dalchina - thanks for your response.

It was set to the opposite: Auto Arrange is on and Align to Grid is off. I swapped them and everything is currently working, but according to posts in that thread, the problem comes back shortly, so I expect it will for me as well. The solution in the thread was to basically sort by date created - that would help with new file position, but it would mess up the order of the existing icons, which isn't good. And, really turning Auto Arrange off isn't ideal either as if I move or delete a file off the desktop it leaves a gap and then I have to manually move other icons around to fill it. So.... *Sad

Any other ideas?

shingy, Mar 28, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Try one of the 3rd party tools mentioned in those threads (one is VERY long). You can easily search the forum e.g.
    desktop arrange icons
    desktop icons rearranging

(I don't find my desktop icons moving around randomly, nor settings randomly changed, but the first has been a problem for some over several generations of Windows).

dalchina, Mar 28, 2017
  7. shingy Win User
    Roger that - will do. Thanks Dalchina.

shingy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Placement of new icons on the desktop - Similar Threads - Placement icons desktop

2. Placement of the taskbar not the icons on the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Placement of the taskbar not the icons on the taskbar: I recently installed Windows 11 Home. Is it possible to have the taskbar appear on the right side of the screen? This is how I set up my screen in Windows 10 and I preferred it that way. Since I have not managed to do it so far in Windows 11, I decided to auto-hide the...
  3. Placement of the taskbar not the icons on the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Placement of the taskbar not the icons on the taskbar: I recently installed Windows 11 Home. Is it possible to have the taskbar appear on the right side of the screen? This is how I set up my screen in Windows 10 and I preferred it that way. Since I have not managed to do it so far in Windows 11, I decided to auto-hide the...
  4. ICON PLACEMENT

in Windows 10 Customization
    ICON PLACEMENT: How can I keep my desktop icons from rearranging when I leave the desktop or restart my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-placement/961f981f-0500-4968-9b89-34c4a66e461c
  5. desktop icon placement

desktop icon placement: have windows 10 on desktop computer; desktop icons won't stay where i want to place them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-placement/fb04adfa-5fb8-485a-a552-64bea6d55e4b
  6. How do you save your desktop icon placement?

How do you save your desktop icon placement?: It's been a while but has happened twice in the past couple weeks that my desktop icons were rearranged, one was due to a recent windows update I read, and that one removed some, if not all, of my icons, I don't remember exactly. And just a day or 2 ago my icons were randomly...
  7. Icon placement at top to screen

Icon placement at top to screen: After reboot windows 10, unable to place any icons at the top of the screen. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-placement-at-top-to-screen/a7a6a052-93ba-4b29-8fcb-da168293de7d
  8. Desktop symbol placement

Desktop symbol placement: I WANT TO PLace symbols in a certain pattern that is prevented by predetermined lines. How do I solve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-symbol-placement/3cf4e89c-3238-44f7-af2b-c179c09aae1f
  9. Windows 10 Icon Placement

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Icon Placement: I am having trouble placing icons right above the task bar. On my screen there is about an inch or two inches worth of space between the task bar and the lowest spot on my screen I can place an icon. Is there any way to fix this? 16017
  10. Desktop icons have wacky placement on CU?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons have wacky placement on CU?: Hey guys, This is a strange one. Yes, I know my desktop is messy. But that's not really the point. I made a short 1-minute video showing the problem, and it's much easier to show that way than trying to explain in writing and screenshots. See below: IBsmW6nishU...