Windows 10: Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

Discus and support Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10 How to Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10 [img] Information In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

How to: Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

How to Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows 10, you can assign a keyboard shortcut (aka: shortcut key) to a shortcut on your desktop, taskbar, and Start menu. When you use the assigned shortcut key, it will open the shortcut.

This tutorial will show you how to assign a keyboard shortcut to open a shortcut on your desktop, taskbar, or Start menu in Windows 10.

Note If you assign the same shortcut key to a shortcut (B) that was already assigned to another shortcut (A), the shortcut key will no longer work for the other shortcut (A) and will now only work for the current shortcut (B).

If you move a shortcut that you assigned a shortcut key to another location, the shortcut key will no longer work to open the shortcut.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Assign Keyboard Shortcut to a Shortcut on Desktop
    • Option Two: To Assign Keyboard Shortcut to a Shortcut on Start Menu
    • Option Three: To Assign Keyboard Shortcut to a Shortcut on Taskbar

OPTION ONE [/i] To Assign Keyboard Shortcut to a Shortcut on Desktop
    1. Right click or press and hold on the shortcut (ex: "Command Prompt") on your desktop, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap in the Shortcut key field, press the key you want to use as the shortcut key, and click/tap on OK to assign it to this shortcut. (see screenshots below)

Note Deleting the current assigned shortcut key will restore it back to the default of None for no shortcut key assigned to the shortcut.

[table][tr][td]Press this key[/td] [td]Assigned Shortcut key[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Numbers 0-9 from top of keyboard[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <number>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Numbers 0-9 or characters / * - + . on numpad[/td] [td]Num <number or character>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Letters A-Z[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <letter>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Character keys ` ~ @ # $ % ^ & ( ) = + [ ] { } | ; : , ‘ “ . < > / ?[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <character key>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Up, Down, Left, or Right arrow keys[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <arrow key>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Function keys F1-F12[/td] [td]<function key>[/td] [/tr] [/table]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Assign Keyboard Shortcut to a Shortcut on Start Menu
    1. Open the Start menu (*Start).

2. Right click or press and hold on an item (ex: "Screenpresso") All Apps, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Open file location. (see screenshot below)

Note This is not available for Store apps.

3. Right click or press and hold on the shortcut (ex: "Screenpresso"), and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap in the Shortcut key field, press the key you want to use as the shortcut key, and click/tap on OK to assign it to this shortcut. (see screenshots below)

Note Deleting the current assigned shortcut key will restore it back to the default of None for no shortcut key assigned to the shortcut.

[table][tr][td]Press this key[/td] [td]Assigned Shortcut key[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Numbers 0-9 from top of keyboard[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <number>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Numbers 0-9 or characters / * - + . on numpad[/td] [td]Num <number or character>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Letters A-Z[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <letter>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Character keys ` ~ @ # $ % ^ & ( ) = + [ ] { } | ; : , ‘ “ . < > / ?[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <character key>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Up, Down, Left, or Right arrow keys[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <arrow key>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Function keys F1-F12[/td] [td]<function key>[/td] [/tr] [/table]

OPTION THREE [/i] To Assign Keyboard Shortcut to a Shortcut on Taskbar

Note By default, you can already press the Win+1 to Win+0 keys (1-10) to open the first ten apps on your taskbar from left to right if the taskbar is on the top or bottom of the screen, or top to bottom if taskbar is on the left or right side of the screen.

1. Right click or press and hold on an item (ex: "Google Chrome") pinned to taskbar to open its jump list.

2. Right click or press and hold on the shortcut (ex: "Google Chrome") in the jump list, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

Note This is not available for Store apps.

3. Click/tap in the Shortcut key field, press the key you want to use as the shortcut key, and click/tap on OK to assign it to this shortcut. (see screenshots below)

[table][tr][td]Press this key[/td] [td]Assigned Shortcut key[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Numbers 0-9 from top of keyboard[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <number>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Numbers 0-9 or characters / * - + . from numpad[/td] [td]Num <number or character>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Letters A-Z[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <letter>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Character keys ` ~ @ # $ % ^ & ( ) = + [ ] { } | ; : , ‘ “ . < > / ?[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <character key>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Up, Down, Left, or Right arrow keys[/td] [td]Ctrl + Alt + <arrow key>[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Function keys F1-F12[/td] [td]<function key>[/td] [/tr] [/table]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 10, 2018
  2. Frick Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Keyboard shortcut to paste Windows shortcuts

Hello, *Smile

Depending on your needs, you could create shortcuts of items you want to open on your desktop, taskbar, and/or Start menu, and assign a separate custom keyboard shortcut to each shortcut using an option in the tutorial below. You can use these keyboard shortcuts to open the shortcuts.

*Arrow Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

How to create a shortcut for a keyboard shortcut.

Hi Marcos,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are willing to create Keyboard shortcut on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the steps in the below Microsoft article to create
    a keyboard shortcut for an app.

Create keyboard shortcuts to open desktop apps

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above link are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 as well.

Refer below article for more information on Keyboard shortcuts.

Keyboard shortcuts

Please post back with above information and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Kem Mon Win User
    Unassign keyboard shortcut

Hi,

To know more regarding Windows 10 shortcut keys, please refer to this
    link. And to further isolate the issue, we have some questions for you:

• Did you use a third party application in customizing your keyboard input?

• Does the assigned keyboard shortcut was meant for Windows 10 application like Office?

• What changes have you made so far to revert it back to
      the way it was?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Keyboard Shortcut For Volume Control

Hello Lenny,

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Are you using a laptop keyboard or external keyboard?
    Adjusting the volume levels using the keyboard shortcuts depends if your device/keyboard supports media keys.

Meanwhile, let's try creating a shortcut key for the Master Volume. Refer to the steps below:

1. Right-click on an empty area on Desktop, then select
    New
    and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the location below:

C:\\Windows\System32\SndVol.exe -T 76611119 0

3. Click on Next button and provide a name for the said Shortcut and click Finish.

4. Right-click on it and select Properties.

5. Assigned your desired shortcut key like F11 or F10 by just pressing it in the
    Shortcut key area.

6. Click Apply and Click OK to save changes.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

1. Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Assign Keyboard Shortcut

2. Is there a way to assign keyboard shortcuts to different audio outputs?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to assign keyboard shortcuts to different audio outputs?: I know, I'm lazy. But I change what audio device I'm using very frequently. I'm looking for a way to just assign the swaps to keyboard shortcuts instead of clicking around for it, especially if I have a full screen program open. Thanks. submitted by /u/UndeadPineapple...
  3. Unable to assign keyboard shortcut to a specific Slovak QWERTY keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to assign keyboard shortcut to a specific Slovak QWERTY keyboard: In the Language Bar Options tab of Advanced Key Settings I have four actions: Between input languages -> Left Alt+Shift To English United States - US -> Left Alt+Shift+1 To Russian Russia - Russian -> Left Alt+Shift+3 To Slovak Slovakia - Slovak QWERTY -> Left Alt+Shift+2...
  4. Keyboard shortcut to paste Windows shortcuts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Keyboard shortcut to paste Windows shortcuts: Hi, Everyday, I need to generate dozens of Windows shortcuts as it's an essential feature to me. My problem is that no keyboard shortcut currently exists, so the quickest way to paste Windows shortcuts remains the right-click context menu. It's kind of a waste of time if...
  5. Keyboard shortcut to paste Windows shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard shortcut to paste Windows shortcuts: Hi, Everyday, I need to generate dozens of Windows shortcuts as it's an essential feature to me. My problem is that no keyboard shortcut currently exists, so the quickest way to paste Windows shortcuts remains the right-click context menu. It's kind of a waste of time if...
  6. Keyboard shortcuts in windows 10

Keyboard shortcuts in windows 10: Hi friends, I am pretty new to Wondows 10 - have been forced away from my mac for gaming reasons :) I would like to be able to program a bit on this machine also, but one thing that frustrates me is the inability to select a whole line - which apparently was of huge value...
  7. WINDOWS 10 KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS

WINDOWS 10 KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS: WINDOWS KEY + HOME DOES NOT MOVE CURSOR TO THE BEGINNING OF A DOCUMENT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-keyboard-shortcuts/148d57cd-51a1-49b2-a261-21d3b7838042
  8. assign optional drive to a shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    assign optional drive to a shortcut: Hello, I have shortcuts to files on a flash drive; the shortcuts are saved on the flash drive as well. When I am trying to open the files through the shortcut on a different computer, I am getting the "Problem with Shortcut" message because the shortcut was created with a...
  9. Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts: I was playing around with windows 10 and manage to work on some keyboard short cuts and couldn't think of where to put them in here, so I chose here.. You probably already know about Ctrl + C and Ctrl +V (copy and paste) Keyboard Shortcuts ----- Action Windows key + A...
  10. Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows 10: How to: Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows 10 List of Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows 10 [img] Information Keyboard shortcuts are combinations of two or more keys that perform a task that would typically require a mouse or other pointing device. Keyboard shortcuts can save...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to unassign keyboard

2. can i assign a shortcut key to log off win 10