Windows 10: Play MP4 in Media PLayer

Discus and support Play MP4 in Media PLayer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since Win 10 update I can longer play MP4 videos I used to be able to play in Win 7, using Windows Media Player. Why has this function stopped? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by carrotmuseum, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Play MP4 in Media PLayer

Since Win 10 update I can longer play MP4 videos I used to be able to play in Win 7, using Windows Media Player.

Why has this function stopped? I thought win 10 was an "improvement".

This is the error message - Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I do not wish to use VLC player.

:)

carrotmuseum, Oct 5, 2015
  2. GallEsco Win User

Windows Media Player 12

Windows Media Player 12 -

Ware can I download a ( MP4 code ) to play in Windows Media Player 12

Thanks

GallEsco, Oct 5, 2015
  3. aewhale99 Win User
    MP4 Player for Windows Mobile

I cannot play an MP4 video with Window Media player 10. I have a Windows Mobile 6 smart phone.

Somehow, I do not find this very smart.

Can I get an MP4 player? The TMPMP player does not have the Codec for MP4.

aewhale99, Oct 5, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Play MP4 in Media PLayer

This maybe issue with some mp4, not all as i can see trying one, could be how it was made that particular mp4 ,codec used. Have you tried others ? Also Movies & TV app should also play mp4.

jds63, Oct 5, 2015
  5. They all used to work in Media player when I had Win 7. Nothing has changed apart from Win 10 being installed.

Movies/tv does not play them either.

carrotmuseum, Oct 6, 2015
  6. Joergi Win User
    I am using mp4 files myself. Rather heavily. The files I have use the native h264 codecs for video and also something pretty standard for audio and they work. MP4 is a container format and I vaguely remember I once had a file, that did not play.

I am not a real expert here, but you can try this:

Download the static Windows version of ffmpeg and check your mp4 file with ffprobe.exe. It will output a bunch of information about that file, including the codecs used inside it. Knowing these codecs is a first step on the way to a solution.

Joergi, Oct 6, 2015
  7. robgr Win User
    Try and turn Media Player off and then back on again in 'Turn Windows features on and off'

robgr, Oct 6, 2015
  8. Play MP4 in Media PLayer

TairikuOkami, Oct 6, 2015
  9. Brilliant - all work fine now!

carrotmuseum, Oct 6, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Which solution worked fine ?

jds63, Oct 6, 2015
  11. carrotmuseum, Oct 6, 2015
  12. Joergi Win User
    Not really the solution with the scalpel, but more the sledge hammer, but if you're satisfied with it, who am I to complain? *Wink

Joergi, Oct 6, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Play MP4 in Media PLayer

O.k. i am able to play those files and many others without using a codec pack, guess was your choice to decide this. Seems in past with other versions of windows was more of an issue with certain files, seems now i am even able to play more then with Windows 8.1. Personally i do not trust codec packs, just my thoughts.

jds63, Oct 6, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    I threw in a couple, if can call it complaints, more of an opinion. *092

jds63, Oct 6, 2015
  15. MP4 is only a container, WMP is unable to play all formats by default without appropriate codecs.
    It depends, how was the mp4 file created, but since WMP relies on codecs, there is no other solution.
    I myself prefer to use MPC-HC to avoid installing codecs, but some people just like WMP more. *Smile

MP4 FAQ - Doom9's Forum

TairikuOkami, Oct 7, 2015
Thema:

Play MP4 in Media PLayer

1. Play MP4 in Media PLayer - Similar Threads - Play MP4 Media

2. Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file: I'm posting this because I found what an easy solution for this issue. This problem only pops up occasionally, and I do not know why Media Player doesn't recognize the video on these .mp4, but when I opened these files with the Avidemux video editor which is free to download...
  3. Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file: I'm posting this because I found what an easy solution for this issue. This problem only pops up occasionally, and I do not know why Media Player doesn't recognize the video on these .mp4, but when I opened these files with the Avidemux video editor which is free to download...
  4. Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. .mp4 files in window media player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .mp4 files in window media player: why .mp4 fies are not play in window media player in windows 10 1903? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp4-files-in-window-media-player/df1a9991-37f0-40b8-8928-5dfc4aea586a"
  6. window media player not playing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    window media player not playing: hi my windows media player is not playing my cd / dvds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-media-player-not-playing/4ebe7a1e-b5f8-4a2c-a9ee-38dfe6511744
  7. mp4 player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mp4 player: my windows 10 no longer sees my MP4 player, and I don't find out why, can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp4-player/591d7c81-b71d-44fb-a8d1-81b6676e0255
  8. Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files: Hello all. Windows Media Player, Version 12.0.17134.471, will not play .MP4 files. I receive the following message: "Can't play. This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt....
  9. Windows media player will not play mp4!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows media player will not play mp4!: Why is MS being such an ASS and not providing the codec to play the files. Just spent $5000 on a worthless computer because of you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-media-player-will-not-play-mp4/17c48516-49cb-4b46-9e4f-eb738c1da3b1
  10. Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade: After upgrading to Windows 10, Windows Media Player no longer will play .mp4 or .wmv videos. They played fine in Windows 7, but now, when I try to play a video in WMP, I get an error message saying that WMP is unable to play the file. I am using the latest Shark007 codecs...