Windows 10: Play older games with 4:3 fullscreen WITHOUT stretching in Windows 10.

Discus and support Play older games with 4:3 fullscreen WITHOUT stretching in Windows 10. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When I was using Windows 7, I was able to run older programs & games (such as American McGee's Alice, The Longest Journey, BloodRayne, and many more)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ZeistIsBad, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Play older games with 4:3 fullscreen WITHOUT stretching in Windows 10.

When I was using Windows 7, I was able to run older programs & games (such as American McGee's Alice, The Longest Journey, BloodRayne, and many more) with the original 4:3 unstretched fullscreen, having black bars on the sides of the screen to maintain the aspect ratio. After updating to Windows 10 last month (clean install), all of them are automatically stretched to 16:9, unless I play them in windowed mode. The thing is, I'm one of the few who actually WANT to play them fullscreen with the black bars on the sides of the windows to maintain the original 4:3. When they're stretched to fit the screen, they look horrible. I've tried changing the compatibility settings, making sure I have the latest drivers...here's my info:

Windows 10 Pro, 1803

i7-4770k, 3.50 GHz

24gb DDR3 RAM

GTX 1060 (6gb GDDR5), with 398.36 (June 26) drivers.

Is there any way to play these the way they were intended to be on Windows 10? Maybe a fix or a program that can be used to force 4:3 fullscreen?

:)

ZeistIsBad, Jul 10, 2018

2. Will Windows 10 be able to play older games/programs?

Hi,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

I know how this concerns you, let me help you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to install the games in compatibility mode and check if it works.

Follow the below steps:

1. Right click on the setup file and select Properties.

2. Select Compatibility tab.

3. Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

4. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

I suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft article on Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Reference: Refer to the following Discussion created by Master Turkey
    on Windows 10 Games Compatibility List.

Windows 10 Games Compatibility List

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 10, 2018
  3. playing older games

Hi,

An incomplete update may cause issues playing older games on Windows 10. To resolve your concern, you need to install all critical and important updates on your computer by following the steps on this

link

Windows 10 has a built-in DirectX 12 which is the latest version of DirectX. If you are still unable to play older games on your Windows 10 PC, change the compatibility settings on your computer by following the steps on this

link

Note Most programs created for earlier versions of Windows will work on Windows 10,
    but some older programs might run poorly or not at all.

If you need further assistance, feel free to contact us anytime.

Loraine Mon, Jul 10, 2018
  4. THINSKIN Win User

Play older games with 4:3 fullscreen WITHOUT stretching in Windows 10.

playing older games on windows 10

I have been able to play my older games on windows 8 & 8.1 up until the kb 3086255 update was installed which then prevented me from playing those games until I had to uninstall the kb 3086255 update allowing me to once again play the older games. I installed
    windows 10 and had the same problem with my older games not working. Does anyone know if this kb 3086255 update is part of the windows 10 installation and if so is there any way to disable the kb 3086255 in windows 10 or any other work around that will allow
    my older games to play on windows 10

THINSKIN, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

Play older games with 4:3 fullscreen WITHOUT stretching in Windows 10.

1. Play older games with 4:3 fullscreen WITHOUT stretching in Windows 10. - Similar Threads - Play older games

2. flickering while playing game on fullscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    flickering while playing game on fullscreen: hello, I got this flickering issue when I play full screen in every game, I use intel hd 4600 and I look at my display refresh rate it's say 59,790 hz and on intel hd display it say 60 hz...
  3. 4:3 aspect ratio doesnt stretch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4:3 aspect ratio doesnt stretch: Hi tried almost every scaling mode i could and almost every thing i knew but somehow my windows still makes it look like slightly smaller 16:9 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/43-aspect-ratio-doesnt-stretch/e923b747-204d-460b-aff6-e31872b540ab
  4. 4:3 aspect ratio doesnt stretch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    4:3 aspect ratio doesnt stretch: Hi tried almost every scaling mode i could and almost every thing i knew but somehow my windows still makes it look like slightly smaller 16:9 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/43-aspect-ratio-doesnt-stretch/e923b747-204d-460b-aff6-e31872b540ab
  5. Problems with fullscreen 4:3 stretched games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with fullscreen 4:3 stretched games: 1So i have a problem. I usually play csgo in fullscreen on 4:3 resolution. When i start my pc my wallpaper is clear and high quallity i use default windows 11 wallpaper but as soon as i start csgo 4:3 stretched my wallpaper appears messy and low quallity and not reverts back...
  6. Problems with fullscreen 4:3 stretched games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with fullscreen 4:3 stretched games: 1So i have a problem. I usually play csgo in fullscreen on 4:3 resolution. When i start my pc my wallpaper is clear and high quallity i use default windows 11 wallpaper but as soon as i start csgo 4:3 stretched my wallpaper appears messy and low quallity and not reverts back...
  7. Windows bluescreen when playing game on fullscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows bluescreen when playing game on fullscreen: Hello. So i have a problem with my windows currently,whenever i tried to play game on fullscreen mode. I tried many way to fix it but it just keep happening,any solution for this problem ? Please help. Im using windows 10...
  8. Xbox game bar not recording in 4:3 stretched

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Xbox game bar not recording in 4:3 stretched: I play CSGO on 4:3 stretched, however when I record the screen after a play it doesn't seem to record properly. Xbox game bar records CSGO in 4:3 but has the black bars rather than stretched. I was wondering if anyone knew how to record in 4:3 stretched and if so please can...
  9. How to prevent stretching Game's resolution in 4:3 to 16:9?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent stretching Game's resolution in 4:3 to 16:9?: I have a 16:9 monitor (1366x768) but when I try to change the resolution of Outlast to 4:3 (1024x576) it gets stretched to full display, kind of too wide. So, I would like to play it at 4:3 along with Black Bars on the sides. I used to know a method to do this using the...
  10. Fullscreen problem in Windows 10 while playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fullscreen problem in Windows 10 while playing games: I am trying my best to explain, what is my problem. After a several months, i'm having a trouble in games (such as Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, F1 2015 etc.). After launching the game, the FPS drops down and the screen starts flashing and flickering. Some games worked while i...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 4:3 fullscreen windows 10

2. feeding frenzy steam stretched screen

3. playing older windows games in fullscreen

4. how to fullscreen games without stretching,
  5. disable fullscreen stretching windows 10,
  6. how to play cs go 4:3 fullscreen,
  7. play game full screen without stretching