Windows 10: Show or Hide Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon

Discus and support Show or Hide Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Show or Hide Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon Turn On or Off Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Show or Hide Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon

How to: Show or Hide Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon

Turn On or Off Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon in Windows 10

Show or Hide Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon [​IMG]
    Information The Action Center in Windows 10 collects and shows toast notifications and alerts from traditional Windows applications and system notifications, alongside those generated from modern apps. Toast and notifications are then grouped in the Action Center by app and time.

The Action Center will show you all of your past notifications until you clear them. This can be useful if you had a notification pop-up, and you missed what it said.

The Action Center also has personalized quick actions at the bottom to be able to easily toggle on/off or open items such as Airplane mode, All settings, Connect, Display, Location, Tablet Mode, VPN, and Wifi.

Starting with Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328, the Action Center icon has moved to the far corner of the taskbar so it is more distinct from other icons – making it easier to interact with it. There is a badge that now displays the number of notifications you have missed, and we are making it easier for you to know what app your notifications are from by adding a subtle animation to the icon (showing the sender app’s logo) whenever you receive notifications that do not show a toast. Individual app notifications in Action Center no longer show the app icon repeated for each notification and will only be seen in the header that groups together all the notifications specific for that app. This change allows for more space in Action Center to show more content.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to show number of new notifications overlay badge on the action center icon for your account in Windows 10.

Note You will need to have Use small taskbar buttons turned off to be able to show number of new notifications on the action center icon.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon using a BAT file
    EXAMPLE: Number of new notifications on action center icon

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon
    1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Right click or press and hold on the action center system icon on the taskbar notification area, and click/tap on Show number of new notifications. (see screenshot below)

3. To Turn Off Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon
    A) Right click or press and hold on the action center system icon on the taskbar notification area, and click/tap on Don't show number of new notifications. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon using a BAT file

Note The .bat files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings

NOC_GLOBAL_SETTING_BADGE_ENABLED DWORD

0 = Off
    (delete) = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_number_of_new_notifications_on_Action_Center_icon.bat

Download

3. To Turn Off Show Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Don't_show_number_of_new_notifications_on_Action_Center_icon.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop, and unblock the .bat file.

5. Double click/tap on the .bat file to run it.

6. You will now notice your screen flicker as explorer is restarted.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 7, 2018

2. Action Center: Show or Hide Number of New Notifications NOT working

Hi all,

Despite all is set as instructed also here (Action Center - Show or Hide Number of New Notifications in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) I do not get the COUNT of new notifications to appear in the Taskbar Icon. The flag changes, yes, but NOT the number of new notification items...

Anyone else having this (working / not working)?

W10 Pro 64-bit with AU and latest KB's as of today.

//t

tjsuominen, Oct 26, 2019
  3. AndreTen Win User
    Action Center: Show or Hide Number of New Notifications NOT working

Hi tjsuominen and welcome to Tenforums!

Mine is working (although not always or sometimes with delay).

Check if you have badges turned on (picture below). Not sure, but it may be connected...

Taskbar Buttons - Hide or Show Badges in Windows 10

AndreTen, Oct 26, 2019
  4. rokabard Win User

Action Center is not showing past notifications

Hello,

I have recently made a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and I don't think the Action Center is working as intended.

In short, the Action Center does not show past notifications.

Notification toasts from various apps do appear on the desktop, and the icon for a new notification does lights up, but when I open Action Center either there is no notification there or the one notification is there, but is then automatically cleared once
    I close the Action Center (even if I did not click on it). The Action Center is therefore always empty.

It was my impression that the Action Center should show a list of past notifications, so that if I am away from the computer I can check the notifications I've missed. Am I missing something or is the Action Center bugged?

thanks.

rokabard, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Action Center Taskbar Icon not Showing App Icons

Hello fellow Windows 10 Users!

I installed Windows 10 Anniversary Update and tested it out. In my testings, I have found that when a notification arrives, the action center taskbar icon should show the number of notifications (which it does, yay!) as well as occasionally show the app
    icon of the apps that the notifications belong to. For some reason, my action center taskbar icon is not showing these app icons at all, and whether the taskbar is auto hide or not doesn't matter. Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced,

Benjamin

Awesome1pc2, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Microsoft News Notifications

Follow these steps to check if it works:

Step 1: Open the Windows Settings menu by pressing the Windows Key and “I,” or alternatively search for Settings in the Windows search bar and click the corresponding result.

Step 2: Click Notifications & Actions in the left-hand menu. This will take you to a screen providing access to all of the settings related to notifications and the Action Center.

Step 3: Click the System icon, then select Notifications and actions from the left-hand menu.

Step 4: Look for the Notifications subheading, where you will see a number of toggles for various types of notifications. The following is a list of the settings you can toggle on this screen:

• Get notifications from apps and other senders
    • Show notifications on the lock screen
    • Show alarms, reminders, and incoming VoIP calls on the lock screen
    • Hide notifications when duplicating my screen
    • Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows
    You may just turn them off the notification as you need.

PeterPeng3, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Show or Hide Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon - Similar Threads - Show Hide Number

2. Icon in Action center hiding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon in Action center hiding: Hello there, I have issue with some icons doesn't appear https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-in-action-center-hiding/62334ac0-aa63-4ef4-8172-4fd3919ec91b
  3. Icon in Action center hiding

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon in Action center hiding: Hello there, I have issue with some icons doesn't appear https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-in-action-center-hiding/62334ac0-aa63-4ef4-8172-4fd3919ec91b
  4. Icon in Action center hiding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to hide number of new Notifications in Action Center in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to hide number of new Notifications in Action Center in Windows 10: Action Center shows the total number of new notifications like a badge on the respective icon in Taskbar. If you want to hide the total number of new notifications in Action Center, here is how you can do that. Apart from the in-built user-friendly option, you can use...
  6. Action center not showing notifications

Action center not showing notifications: Basically I get notification bubbles but when I open action center, there are no notifications. For example, if I turn off Windows defender, I get notification popup like in first picture. But when I open it, there is nothing. The popup icon clears after wards as if I...
  7. Notifications not showing in action center

Notifications not showing in action center: Notifications not showing in action center, it shows the number of notifications I have and they show pop ups. But when I click the notification button its empty. Doing a reboot makes them all show up for a while but it's really annoying that I have to do this so often. Any...
  8. New notifications not showing in action center.

New notifications not showing in action center.: [IMG] [ATTACH] As you can see, the action center badge suggests new notifications but remains empty on opening. I have tried sfc and DISM tool, tried restarting file explorer, disabled and enabled action center from group policy but nothing has worked so far. Need a fix for...
  9. The Toast Notification number updates in the action center icon, however the notifications...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The Toast Notification number updates in the action center icon, however the notifications...: The action center stopped working right after the update. The notifications are recorded in the speech bubble icon but they don't play sounds, don't display the toast message and they are not recorded in the action center. The top section of the panel is completely blank....
  10. Action Center: Show or Hide Number of New Notifications NOT working

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center: Show or Hide Number of New Notifications NOT working: Hi all, Despite all is set as instructed also here (Action Center - Show or Hide Number of New Notifications in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) I do not get the COUNT of new notifications to appear in the Taskbar Icon. The flag changes, yes, but NOT the number of new...