Windows 10: Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10

Discus and support Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 How to Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10

How to: Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10

How to Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10

Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows, you can set or clear the hidden attribute for files and folders to hide or unhide them.

Hidden files and folders do not show by default in Windows.

If you have Windows set to show hidden files, folders, and drives, hidden items will be faded (dimmed) in File Explorer to indicate that they are hidden.

If you have Windows set to don't show hidden files, folders, or drives, hidden items will not be seen in File Explorer.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to set or unset the hidden attribute to hide or unhide files and folders in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Hide Files and Folders using File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Two: To Unhide Files and Folders using File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Three: To Hide Files and Folders from Properties
    • Option Four: To Unhide Files and Folders from Properties
    • Option Five: To Hide File using Command Prompt
    • Option Six: To Unhide File using Command Prompt
    • Option Seven: To Hide Folder Only using Command Prompt
    • Option Eight: To Unhide Folder Only using Command Prompt
    • Option Nine: To Hide Folder, Subfolders and Files using Command Prompt
    • Option Ten: To Unhide Folder, Subfolders and Files using Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Hide Files and Folders using File Explorer Ribbon
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Click/tap on the View tab, select one or more unhidden files and/or folders you want to hide, and click/tap on the Hide selected items button in the ribbon. (see screenshot below)

3. If you selected a folder, select (dot) to either Apply changes to this folder only or Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Unhide Files and Folders using File Explorer Ribbon

Note You will need to have Windows set to show hidden files, folders, and drives to be able to see hidden items as faded (dimmed) in File Explorer to make it easy to select them to unhide.

2. Click/tap on the View tab, select one or more hidden files and/or folders you want to unhide, and click/tap on the highlighted Hide selected items button in the ribbon. (see screenshot below)

3. If you selected a folder, select (dot) to either Apply changes to this folder only or Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Hide Files and Folders from Properties

2. Select one or more unhidden files and/or folders you want to hide, right click or press and hold on the selected items, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, check the Hidden box in the bottom Attributes section, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

4. If you selected a folder, select (dot) to either Apply changes to this folder only or Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Unhide Files and Folders from Properties

2. Select one or more hidden files and/or folders you want to unhide, right click or press and hold on the selected items, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, uncheck the Hidden box in the bottom Attributes section, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)
    [

4. If you selected a folder, select (dot) to either Apply changes to this folder only or Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Hide File using Command Prompt
    1. Open a elevated command prompt based based on the access permissions you have for the file.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow attrib +h "full path of file with extension"

Note Substitute full path of file with extension in the command above with the actual full path of the unhidden file you want to hide.

For example: attrib +h "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Folder\File1.txt"

OPTION SIX [/i] To Unhide File using Command Prompt
    1. Open a elevated command prompt based based on the access permissions you have for the file.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow attrib -s -h "full path of file with extension"

Note Substitute full path of file with extension in the command above with the actual full path of the hidden file you want to unhide.

For example: attrib -s -h "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Folder\File1.txt"

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Hide Folder Only using Command Prompt
    1. Open a elevated command prompt based based on the access permissions you have for the folder.

*Arrow attrib +h "full path of folder"

Note Substitute full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the unhidden folder you want to hide.

For example: attrib +h "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Folder"

OPTION EIGHT [/i] To Unhide Folder Only using Command Prompt
    1. Open a elevated command prompt based based on the access permissions you have for the folder.

*Arrow attrib -s -h "full path of folder"

Note Substitute full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the hidden folder you want to unhide.

For example: attrib -s -h "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Folder"

OPTION NINE [/i] To Hide Folder, Subfolders and Files using Command Prompt

*Arrow attrib +h "full path of folder\*" /s /d

Note Substitute full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the unhidden folder you want to hide along with all of its contents.

For example: attrib +h "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Folder\*" /s /d

OPTION TEN [/i] To Unhide Folder, Subfolders and Files using Command Prompt

*Arrow attrib -s -h "full path of folder\*" /s /d

Note Substitute full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the hidden folder you want to unhide along with all of its contents.

For example: attrib -s -h "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Folder\*" /s /d

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 30, 2017
  2. davidhk Win User

lock a folder

To : Ben

Not exactly what you are asking, just something for you to consider...……….

*Arrow Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

How to hide files and folders using File Explorer
    • Open File Explorer.
    • Navigate to the file or folder you want to hide.
    • Right-click the item and click on Properties.
    • On the General tab, under Attributes, check the Hidden option.
    • Click Apply.

davidhk, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Win 10 Folder/file Read Only attribute is not able to be unset

Why am I not able to unset this attribute in the properties section of the file?

MichaelHelms1, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. dalchina Win User
    Restore hidden file attributes

You could try unsetting and setting the defaults for these, but I'd guess you'll still have some not as default:

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10

1. Set or Unset Hidden Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Unset Hidden

2. Photos Folder and Hidden/System Attribute Automatically Set

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos Folder and Hidden/System Attribute Automatically Set: I have several folders located on NAS drive with {random path}\Photos\ When navigating to the folder can go to the path {random path} and the folder will be missing from explorer. There are two ways I can get to the folder without changing my system settings to view system...
  3. Photos Folder and Hidden/System Attribute Automatically Set

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos Folder and Hidden/System Attribute Automatically Set: I have several folders located on NAS drive with {random path}\Photos\ When navigating to the folder can go to the path {random path} and the folder will be missing from explorer. There are two ways I can get to the folder without changing my system settings to view system...
  4. Photos Folder and Hidden/System Attribute Automatically Set

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to clear hidden and system attributes of folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to clear hidden and system attributes of folder: I tried to clear it with total commander but it did not work. I made this folder system and hidean using total commander DOS very long time ago and now it is not visible in a new cloned OS drive . - - - Updated - - - nevermind I changed view option now it is visible 175202
  6. Restore hidden file attributes

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore hidden file attributes: I accidentally made all files of windows to be shown (unhide using properties--> attributes). Now, if I click hide again, the system is hiding folders that are open by default (say documents vs appdata, appdata must be hidden but documents must be visible). Is there a way...
  7. Change hidden files/folders attribute for individual files or folders

Change hidden files/folders attribute for individual files or folders: Ref previous article at: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/cannot-change-view-hidden-files-for-a-specific/d362a9a3-07cd-47af-8e97-6ae4a124c29a Issue: The folder attribute "show hidden files and folders" in the folder view options is,...
  8. While trying to add Show Hidden Files attributes to Users folder, the Users folder...

While trying to add Show Hidden Files attributes to Users folder, the Users folder...: I am trying to install a drafting program I purchased online and keep getting a 1305 Error message. While trying to add the 'Show Hidden Files' attribute to the Users folder, I decided to cancel the process as I had selected the 'all subfolders, etc.' option and it was going...
  9. Attempting to set hidden attribute to start menu folders via cmd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Attempting to set hidden attribute to start menu folders via cmd: Ok, so I've been working on my unattended install and I am hitting a wall. I currently am using classic shell start menu to replace the original and I want to set the default start menu folders to hidden for two reasons. First reason being that I already have links for each...
  10. Set or Unset Read-only Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set or Unset Read-only Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10: How to: Set or Unset Read-only Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 How to Set or Unset Read-only Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can set or unset the read-only attribute for files and folders to give files write...