Windows 10: Please HELP! Changed HP laptop active partition W10 now can't boot

Discus and support Please HELP! Changed HP laptop active partition W10 now can't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, The problem is also more complicated because the laptop cannot see any bootable USB sticks so I can't access anything except the Bios. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by droidly, Jul 10, 2017.

1. droidly Win User

Please HELP! Changed HP laptop active partition W10 now can't boot

Hello,

The problem is also more complicated because the laptop cannot see any bootable USB sticks so I can't access anything except the Bios.

The problem is self created. I was trying to clean up a multi partitioned drive and then merging the partitions. There were 4 partitions in this order.
    1. 199 mb HP_tools (no drive letter)
    2. c: drive 500+ GB (active, mbr, etc...)
    3. 16 gb (hp recovery partition)
    4. 110 mb (no drive letter etc...)

I reformatted number 4 then adsorbed the free space into 3 as it was the only option. Then I noticed partition 1 was now active not 2 with my c: drive and os etc... so I made c drive active. On the next reboot the problem started.

I don't know what to do. I looked through the bios and I can't enable usb as a bootable device. It is not listed or allowed. If I had a bootable cd or dvd what would be the steps to repair the boot problems?

Thanks, Droid

:)

droidly, Jul 10, 2017

2. in w10, how make a partition with FAT32 File-System

My new HP laptop with w10 installed. I have made the hard-disk into 4-partition.

Now all the partitions are in FS of NTFS.

Can I change one of the partition into FAT32. If yes, tell me HOW please!

HonglinZhao, Jul 10, 2017
  3. send me an activation key of w10 pro

please send me an activation key for my w10 pro hp laptop

MohanBorse, Jul 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, You have probably created big problem by merging the unlettered partition - this was most probably the EFI partition which Windows requires to boot.

Note which partition should be active (EFI example)

Please HELP! Changed HP laptop active partition W10 now can't boot [​IMG]

Win 10 (EFI boot) uses
    - a 100 Mb Fat 32 EFI partition
    - a 16Mb System partition (not visible by design in Disk Management
    - a 450Mb Recovery partition
    - 'C:' - Windows.

Legacy boot partitions are fewer.

You may need to create some unallocated space on your drive if no space remains for needed partitions.

You can try Macrium Reflect (free), and run its Fix Boot utility from its bootable CD/DVD/drive.

Or if you prefer, get Kyhi's very useful bootable DVD/drive from the top of the Software and Apps section here and run Macrium from that.

If you can access the BIOS you should be able to set it up to boot from a USB drive- boot order.
    Some PCs require you to press a certain key to access a boot selection menu.

Worst case, if you haven't followed our often and strongly urged recommendations to use disk imaging routinely (so you can recover from - unbootable PC - user error - ransomware - failed disk etc etc quite quickly and without technical help), then:

Image C: to an external disk
    Format your system disk
    Clean install Windows
    Restore your image of C: in place of the newly created Windows partition.

dalchina, Jul 10, 2017
  5. droidly Win User
    Hi Dalchina, thank you for the reply and help. I will try the boot disk and see if I can resolve the issue. I will keep you posted on my progress or lack thereof. Thanks again,

droidly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Please HELP! Changed HP laptop active partition W10 now can't boot - Similar Threads - Please HELP Changed

2. Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help: Hi,Anyone give me any pointers please.I basically upgraded everything except my hard drives. Just in case of issues as I have upgraded before.. I used a command-line thingy to ensure I was using a retail copy of windows 10 I knew I was but just to check!, and then went into...
  3. Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help: Hi,Anyone give me any pointers please.I basically upgraded everything except my hard drives. Just in case of issues as I have upgraded before.. I used a command-line thingy to ensure I was using a retail copy of windows 10 I knew I was but just to check!, and then went into...
  4. Change of Hardware W10 Activation Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New laptop now has two W10 Home installations - HELP please

New laptop now has two W10 Home installations - HELP please: I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5 Slim (A515-54) It shipped with W10 Home on a 500G NVME SSD. The W10 Home key is apparently set in the BIOS. It also has a space to hold a second (regular) SSD, and came with a bracket\ribbon for this purpose. I installed the second drive,...
  6. New laptop now has two W10 Home installations - HELP please

in Windows 10 Support
    New laptop now has two W10 Home installations - HELP please: I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5 Slim (A515-54) It shipped with W10 Home on a 500G NVME SSD. The W10 Home key is apparently set in the BIOS. It also has a space to hold a second (regular) SSD, and came with a bracket\ribbon for this purpose. I installed the second drive,...
  7. Changed msconfig setting now can't boot, please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changed msconfig setting now can't boot, please help: my antivirus told me to set certain parameters to boot yo faster, and one of the settings it made me change was msconfig >boot>adv options>no of processors >4 after a few days, I noticed that only two physical cores were active so I tried to reset the msconfig back to its...
  8. Windows is not booting after active partition is changed.

Windows is not booting after active partition is changed.: I tried changing the active partition via cmd. And I have set "C:" as active. After that I restarted my laptop with windows OS. Then this was problem found, "Operating System not found" in black screen. I can't able to login and don't know what to do? Help me to resolve this....
  9. Help with changing active partition

Help with changing active partition: Several months ago I upgraded my SSD to a new larger one (Disk 0) and kept the smaller one for storage (Disk 3). I did a clean install of Win 10 on the new SSD (Disk 0) that I had previously formatted. When I did the clean install, I neglected to delete the partition ending...
  10. HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Support
    HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition: Hi there. I tried to install Manjaro Linux first and than Fedora 25 on my laptop, but after that I was not able to boot Windows anymore neither to access the Recovery hitting F11 at the boot. Furthermore, I couldn't find any Windows entry hitting F9. I think the problem is...