Windows 10: Please help if you can. How to edit FOLDER tooltips in the registry.

Discus and support Please help if you can. How to edit FOLDER tooltips in the registry. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have already inquired about this in the past, but I can't seem to get a response from anyone. I would really appreciate some help with this please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by sleepless, Sep 8, 2016.

1. sleepless Win User

Please help if you can. How to edit FOLDER tooltips in the registry.

I have already inquired about this in the past, but I can't seem to get a response from anyone. I would really appreciate some help with this please *Smile.

In order to customize which fields/properties are displayed in the tooltips for any given file type you can edit the string value in the registry at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\ * - edit the "InfoTip" string value
    or
    Choose individual file extensions to edit the tooltips for only those specific file types.

My question is:
    How can this be done for FOLDERS? I have searched everywhere trying to find out but I can only find the info for FILES, not folders.

For example, there is an excellent tutorial here: Customize Windows Explorer Tooltips - gHacks Tech News
    Unfortunately, even though it mentions both files AND folders, there is no explanation for folders.

:)

sleepless, Sep 8, 2016

2. How do I eliminate the popup showing the link when I mouse over the link?

How do I get that link window moved to the bottom of the screen?

that's called the tooltip

you can't move it to the bottom of the screen

only web browsers will place the "hovered" link in the statusbar instead of on the tooltip

you can only turn off the tootip completely for the whole OS or not at all

edit:

some programs can implement their own tooltip functions

and some OS functions will always show tooltips regardless of settings

the only other possible setting would be found in the registry

to delay the hover time, but that also affects the whole OS

eg.

hovering a file in exploder also produces a tooltip with the file details

extending the delay time would also affect this and other functions

Locutus deBorg, Sep 8, 2016
  3. Alex Domb Win User
    Please help if you can - is there a way to transfer your text message history from a Kin oneM phone to your computer?

thats too bad. thank you for helping, though

Alex Domb, Sep 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 8, 2016
  5. sleepless Win User
    I'm NOT looking to add comments to the tooltip. I'd simply like to know how to edit the properties (size, date created etc...). This is easy to do for files, including different file types.

Seriously? That is the EXACT link I put in the original post. As I said, it only explains how to edit tooltip properties for FILES, not FOLDERS.

I guess no one can help with this then. Oh well. *cry

sleepless, Sep 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Sorry for duplicating your link. Good luck.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Please help if you can. How to edit FOLDER tooltips in the registry. - Similar Threads - Please help edit

2. Can you help me? Please.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you help me? Please.: Hi! The pc was recently updated into windows 11 or 10, I think. I forgot. But today, I removed all the wires, unplugged it because I was cleaning. Now, I returned the wires and turned on the pc but all the apps on the display screen wasn't there. Also, when I open my Google...
  3. Can you help me? Please.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you help me? Please.: Hi! The pc was recently updated into windows 11 or 10, I think. I forgot. But today, I removed all the wires, unplugged it because I was cleaning. Now, I returned the wires and turned on the pc but all the apps on the display screen wasn't there. Also, when I open my Google...
  4. how to revert registry edit folder permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to revert registry edit folder permissions: I accidentally changed permissions for authenticated users in the Policies Folder:Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policiesand now all the windows apps are not working Settings, Security,Clipboard, etcpls help....
  5. how to revert registry edit folder permissions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to revert registry edit folder permissions: I accidentally changed permissions for authenticated users in the Policies Folder:Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policiesand now all the windows apps are not working Settings, Security,Clipboard, etcpls help....
  6. how to revert registry edit folder permissions

7. can you please help me!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can you please help me!!!: I am so frustrated!! I cant change my password for any of my microsoft accounts. I can log on with my windows computer but nothing else. When I try to change the password, I go to settings then copy and paste the current password, type new password and it tells me current...
  8. can you please help me!!!

can you please help me!!!: I am so frustrated!! I cant change my password for any of my microsoft accounts. I can log on with my windows computer but nothing else. When I try to change the password, I go to settings then copy and paste the current password, type new password and it tells me current...
  9. Can you help me, please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you help me, please: I can install it, but when I click on the game, it says d11 was not found. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-help-me-please/7e78aa1d-418a-47a0-a455-df4fb58856ee
  10. Can you please help me?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can you please help me?: My laptop is lagging very hard from a system restore point and I am now stuck in an endless loop of system recovery that does nothing! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-please-help-me/3c3112d3-57dd-4e59-aa66-d51a79219a84