Windows 10: please help. trying to custom install win10, need to keep files.

Discus and support please help. trying to custom install win10, need to keep files. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am part way through the custom installation process with win10 iso from media create tool. I want to keep the files, the total/free space for disk 0,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ksdixon, Dec 24, 2017.

1. ksdixon Win User

please help. trying to custom install win10, need to keep files.

I am part way through the custom installation process with win10 iso from media create tool. I want to keep the files, the total/free space for disk 0, volume 3 seems to indicate they are still there.

Disk 0 Partition 1 - System
    Disk 0 Partition 2 - MSR (reserved)
    Disk 0 Partition 3: Windows - Primary (my files seem to be still located here judging on sizes)
    Disk 0 Partition 4: Windows RE Tools - Recovery
    Disk 0 Partition 5: RECOVERY - OEM (reserved)

It says the files will be moved to a Windows.old folder, when I try to do a custom install onto my Primary Partition, disk 0, partition 3.

This seems to be what I want, as I want to keep the files. However when I try to progress again I have received the following message and need to know from if it is safe to continue:

"the partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommend order."

:)

ksdixon, Dec 24, 2017
  2. JackDandy Win User

i need help now please i keep trying to update my phone lg e900 and it got stuck

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP I NEED TO FIX THIS

JackDandy, Dec 24, 2017
  3. JackDandy Win User
    i need help now please i keep trying to update my phone lg e900 and it got stuck

i need help now please i keep trying to update my phone lg e900 and it got stuck on the restarting bit and i pressed cancel and now it is stuck on the lg bit and when you turn it off it just goes back on lg bit agian . help
    please please help please

JackDandy, Dec 24, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You can't do a custom install and keep your files. You have to do an upgrade install.

NavyLCDR, Dec 25, 2017
  5. ksdixon Win User
    I can't do an upgrade install because I can't access windows. I'm using a Windows iso USB stick at the moment.

The custom installation language used talks about sticking the files into a windows.old folder?

ksdixon, Dec 25, 2017
  6. Are you trying to save the programs or your data files?

If you are trying to save data files you could create Kyhi's recovery disk to boot from, copy your data files and then do the custom clean install.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Caledon Ken, Dec 25, 2017
  7. ksdixon Win User
    Files. I don't mind reinstalling programs as long as I can grab my files and my Firefox profile from the user/appdata/roaming subfolder.

ksdixon, Dec 25, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Then, as @Caledon Ken suggested, I would recommend booting into Kyhi's Recovery Tools. Copy out the files you want to keep, then do a "custom" (which really means clean) install, and I would recommend just wiping the hard drive (delete each partition and install to the unallocated space) and starting fresh.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. please help. trying to custom install win10, need to keep files. - Similar Threads - please help trying

2. i need help please with this txt file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help please with this txt file: why this happened please i need help it happened after laptop format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-please-with-this-txt-file/c61d4f7f-5712-4489-b5b6-bef0aa51470d
  3. i need help please with this txt file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need help please with this txt file: why this happened please i need help it happened after laptop format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-please-with-this-txt-file/c61d4f7f-5712-4489-b5b6-bef0aa51470d
  4. Need help with a dump file analysis please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with a dump file analysis please: My PC keeps doing instant shutdowns and reboots all the time heres the dmp files and i get the same error all the timeany help is appreciatedhttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AuUWy9YL1NTlgY5AGQNAdxyqQbDDNA?e=pUHmrJThanks Jack...
  5. Need help with a dump file analysis please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with a dump file analysis please: My PC keeps doing instant shutdowns and reboots all the time heres the dmp files and i get the same error all the timeany help is appreciatedhttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AuUWy9YL1NTlgY5AGQNAdxyqQbDDNA?e=pUHmrJThanks Jack...
  6. Help needed please with DLL file

in Windows 10 Support
    Help needed please with DLL file: Hello all, I had Kaspersky Security Cloud Free version on my computer, thought better of it and decided to remove it and go back to Windows Security. I removed KSC Free with Revo Uninstaller, it left a few files that I deleted manually and then Windows Security started back...
  7. Need help re: win10 file structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help re: win10 file structure: My PC was fried and I bought a new one and had the store tech copy my data to it. In addition to the dead motherboard he said my old hard drive appeared to be "close to" failing as well, and that he had to do the restore several times. I seem to have all my data, but am...
  8. Question-Custom Win10 Install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question-Custom Win10 Install: I know I can create a custom .xml for unattended installation of windows, but is there a way to install third party apps unattended after that completes?i.e. Office, Game Launchers, VPN services etc. I’m wanting to do a fresh install on several machines in my home. submitted...
  9. I need help installing win10

I need help installing win10: Im running unbuntu atm and want to make a windows 10 bootable usb with my sandisk cruzer blade. I format to mbr Creat ntfs partition Copy the files contained in the iso to the usb Restart pc, boot to eufi sandisk Select language Then says no driver found submitted by...
  10. Trying to install program, please help...

Trying to install program, please help...: I get pop-up window with this: the feature you are trying to use is on a cd-rom or other removable disk that is not available Thank you submitted by /u/Luigispotato [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eebfwg/trying_to_install_program_please_help/