Windows 10: PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation

Discus and support PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Please Ms FIX the 260 char directory+filename limitation. I can't copy loads of music files on windows and if you've got 2 - 3 TB of music... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Aug 12, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation

Hi there

Please Ms FIX the 260 char directory+filename limitation. I can't copy loads of music files on windows and if you've got 2 - 3 TB of music files I'm not going on a massive renaming job - in any case I want to preserve tagging and track info too.

Linux and Android have no problem so serving the music to my remote devices isn't a problem (I think also most smart TV's and Chromecast type devices have some sort of built in Linux / Android OS).

Windows computers will also play the music served but file names are truncated hideously to something unrecognizable in most cases.

The fix for long file names that was supposed to appear in this build (1607) doesn't work.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2016
  2. TilePapa Win User

File name is too long

Yesterday, I was able to save files with long names (under 260 chars).

Today, there is a warning to files with a long name (ie 109 chars). The warning says EXPLORER.EXE "File name is too long".

I can't understand what changed in one day. The only thing I performed today was an update of Acrobat Flash.

Thank you

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

TilePapa, Aug 12, 2016
  3. file name must be less than 260 characters

The only painful progress towards resolving this issue in the last 2+ decades seems to be

this
    :

PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation [​IMG]

Maybe by 2036 or so Explorer will have finally wizened up to the fact that NTFS supports paths longer than 260 chars.

RobertJWin, Aug 12, 2016
Thema:

PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation

1. PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation - Similar Threads - PLEASE FIX 260

2. Unable to truly enable Long Paths >260 chars

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to truly enable Long Paths >260 chars: I have a project environment that has many recursive folders, entire folder/file path of which eventually is more than 260 characters which is a standard limit set by windows.What I Tried:1. Updated 'LongPathsEnabled' registry key2. Updated Group Policy Editor -> File System...
  3. Unable to truly enable Long Paths >260 chars

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to truly enable Long Paths >260 chars: I have a project environment that has many recursive folders, entire folder/file path of which eventually is more than 260 characters which is a standard limit set by windows.What I Tried:1. Updated 'LongPathsEnabled' registry key2. Updated Group Policy Editor -> File System...
  4. Unable to truly enable Long Paths >260 chars

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination: Dear Microsoft,I really enjoy using and developing software using your products. However, in a current development project, I have an issue that I need to be able to have longer directory names and longer file names, and often times I must shorten the lengths of filenames and...
  6. Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination: Dear Microsoft,I really enjoy using and developing software using your products. However, in a current development project, I have an issue that I need to be able to have longer directory names and longer file names, and often times I must shorten the lengths of filenames and...
  7. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Increase 260 Character Filename Limit: Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person...
  8. Long Directory + File names > 256 chars --any sign of support yet

in Windows 10 Support
    Long Directory + File names > 256 chars --any sign of support yet: Hi folks This has been pushed around for ages but I can't see any sign of it being implemented even on latest W10-updates. The 256 character restriction on file name + directory string is a serious limitation now on my being able to share multi-media with Windows...
  9. Hidden char in file name showed by command dir

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden char in file name showed by command dir: Hi, In tracking a bug in app, I discovered something very odd. I have a strange file name in a directory. If I do a dir command the file name appearing is not the same as with Win Explorer! Even the copy paste from the console removes the extra char. Attached...
  10. Long directory / file name support PLEASE Ms in a Windows update

in Windows 10 Support
    Long directory / file name support PLEASE Ms in a Windows update: Hi there Please Ms can you fix the restriction of file + directory (folder) name length so they can be LONGER than approx 200 Chars For normal office type documents long file names won't be encountered very often but if you have large capacity HDD's with a lot of say...