Windows 10: Please recommend an external HDD

Discus and support Please recommend an external HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I am interested in an external hard drive primarily for storing disk images and thats about it pretty much. I hardly use the space on my main OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tonightwetaco, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Please recommend an external HDD

Hello. I am interested in an external hard drive primarily for storing disk images and thats about it pretty much. I hardly use the space on my main OS drive. Im looking for something reliable. Any idea? Thanks!

if it helps, my PC is windows 10 64bit with 3 or 4 USB 3.0 connections etc..

:)

tonightwetaco, Mar 20, 2017
  2. MikaeelM Win User

Windows10 unable to recognise external (USB) HDD (WD My Book 4TB)

Windows10 unable to recognise external (USB) HDD (WD My Book 4TB) - however, I'm able to see all files from a Linux machine i have on same HDD... I dont want to lose my content on the external HDD by reformatting etc. Please help.

MikaeelM, Mar 20, 2017
  3. Cloning an external HDD

Hello Sumit, Thanks for your reply.

Right now I have my HDD only as external connected as USB

Can I clone it directly on other PC and still be able to recover

Some software I installed? Also if you say not to clone the C partiría you mean the OS part?

Thanks.

Alfredo Carranco, Mar 20, 2017
  4. essenbe Win User

Please recommend an external HDD

essenbe, Mar 20, 2017
  5. I use an external USB 3.0 1TB Toshiba. Ive used it for over the last year and its been rock solid.

ArazelEternal, Mar 20, 2017
  6. thank you, essenbe. however i do not own those drives and do not need a docking station.

7. thanks. can you tell me the model or link to it? i prefer amazon usually

8. Corelogik Win User

I use this tower/case, VANTEC NexStar HX4R NST-640S3R-BK Aluminum / Plastic 3.5" Black SATA I/II/III USB 3.0 & eSATA Quad Bay RAID HDD Enclosure-Newegg.com With these drives, WD Blue 6TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD60EZRZ-Newegg.com

Been using this setup for a couple of years now. I change drives every 18 months to 2 years or so, staggering the replacement time. I then connect the tower via USB3 on the rear of the board. I get fast transfer rates, and haven't had a single issue once connected and setup.

The drives are hot swappable and it can accommodate up to 4 drives as your needs change. I don't know what the max drive size is, but I have 2 6TB drives in there now in JBOD as I use them for different things.

Corelogik, Mar 20, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    If you have a Wireless Router and don't want to tie the Notebook/Laptop down you could use a NAS/Network Attached Storage device plugged into the Router via an Ethernet cable. I use 2 WDC MyCloud 2TB drives, can access files on them from Windows, macOS Sierra and Linux Mint by just Mapping the Public Folder on them from within files Explorer.

Berton, Mar 20, 2017
  10. holy cow man, not something that massive. but ty

11. ill prob spend $50 on amazon and get a WD HDD

12. Corelogik Win User
    You can put whatever size drives you want in it. I'd rather have the expansion available when I need it than have to buy again later. However depending on how you use your PC, my setup may indeed be Overkill.
    Please recommend an external HDD [​IMG]
    Good luck with your search.

Corelogik, Mar 20, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

It takes all sorts, and some on this forum are really serious about their backups. *Smile

For more modest ambitions, a USB HDD from a major maker will do fine. I (now) have 3 Toshibas and a WD My Passport. All have been reliable (well, until I dropped one of the Toshibas while it was running, and apart from some bad blocks that chkdsk found and marked that's still running too).

That will probably do nicely. For added security, consider getting two, then either copy your images to the second one as a backup, or alternate which disk you make the images on.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Toshiba Canvio is my store bought USB drive.

NavyLCDR, Mar 20, 2017
  15. Steve C Win User
    I just use the basic Seagate Expansion portable drives (USB 3.0) and they have been fine.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Please recommend an external HDD - Similar Threads - Please recommend external

2. Active Stylus recommendation please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Stylus recommendation please: I have Asus Zenbook 14 Flip OLED model: UP3404VI thought the zenbook comes with pen but it doesn't. My choice is to buy https://estore.wacom.com/en-us/bamboo-ink-plus-black-stylus-cs322ak0a.html but idk it will work with my device. and also i would like to get ur guys...
  3. Cannot open an External HDD , Please help .

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot open an External HDD , Please help .: I connected an old external HDD to my PC via a USB cable and i cant open the files inside it anymore. It was working until yesterday . Is there a way to fix that HDD by running some applications ? I have used an application before but i cannot remember the name now .It was in...
  4. Cannot open an External HDD , Please help .

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open an External HDD , Please help .: I connected an old external HDD to my PC via a USB cable and i cant open the files inside it anymore. It was working until yesterday . Is there a way to fix that HDD by running some applications ? I have used an application before but i cannot remember the name now .It was in...
  5. external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    external hdd: Heyo guys! i want to switch from linux to windows but i have 1 little question about my external hard drive. Will it just work fine on windows or do i need to format it first? thanks in advance! submitted by /u/gekkemat [link] [comments]...
  6. External HDD

External HDD: What would happen to the Windows 10 installation on my SSD if I connected an external HDD with Linux installed on it, whilst using Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd/54e8dff5-f3f2-4f6d-8365-d6c9969434cb
  7. External HDD

External HDD: Hello, I recently used the Media Creation tool to reinstall windows on my system, and the drive was set to 31.9GB instead of the original size 1TB. I fixed that issue, by extending the volume. anyway, if I format it, it doesn't show up in This PC. so I had to create a...
  8. Please recommend an ISO Extractor

Please recommend an ISO Extractor: I have an ISO file downloaded from online and when I click on it, the computer pops up DVD burning window. It is a Windows PC. What's the best tool to extract and re-create ISO image?
  9. External HDD

External HDD: I have an older Seagate 1 TB external HDD, but my new Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 won't let me open it. It shows up under my computer, but doesn't allow me access; it reads "You don't currently have permission to access this folder". When I click on "continue", it prompts...
  10. Please recommend a Video Editor?

Please recommend a Video Editor?: I have some videos of me talking, and I wanted to find a FREE Video Editor application/software that has video templates where I can insert my videos into it, and make nice professional looking videos? Does such a free video editor exist for Windows 10? Or only paid ones?...