Windows 10: Plex media server -new version needs WRITE access to update libraries

Discus and support Plex media server -new version needs WRITE access to update libraries in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there I'm not sure why PLEX needs full write access on your media libraries to update its database. Only granting READ access I notice that a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Apr 12, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Plex media server -new version needs WRITE access to update libraries

Hi there
    I'm not sure why PLEX needs full write access on your media libraries to update its database.

Only granting READ access I notice that a library update doesn't include the new media files I've added.
    READ/WRITE access -- no problems.

I can't see though that PLEX actually does any WRITES into the media libraries - It stores stuff in its own database. You do need a transcode directory with write access if you are transcoding of course.

I know quite a few here use PLEX so just warning - I only allow WRITE access to specific directories / folders on my system and then to specific users and / or processes.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 12, 2016

2. Windows 10 MfPlat.dll Missing

PLex Media Server

Just before the latest win update

Yes

No, since it is the windows function missing

OlleLindstrom, Apr 12, 2016
  3. iTunes in Win 10

Many thanks for this. I did a clean boot, and iTunes did not load, however, I was still unable to trace a cause for the issue and, upon re-booting, iTunes once again loaded on startup. I have since, however, been able to resolve the issue. Plex media server -new version needs WRITE access to update libraries :))

In sheer desperation, I checked everywhere in the Windows registry and could find no reason for iTunes to auto start. Logically then, I considered that perhaps Windows wasn't the culprit and it may be another programme calling on iTunes. With this in mind,
    I revisited my startup list and disabled all programmes (even though none were Apple related). Bingo, no iTunes loading!

Having determined that it was, in fact, one of my startup programmes causing the issue, I set about enabling them in batches, and eventually narrowed it down to Plex Media Server. Every time it started, it bought iTunes along for the ride. Nice.

A quick visit to the Plex forums revealed that, since version 12.2, iTunes no longer generates a physical XML file for its library database by default. When I re-created my iTunes library following the initial problem, no new XML file was created. Plex was
    therefore starting iTunes in order to gain access to access my music library.

The cure was simple: Just a single tick needed in iTunes in a box: "Share itunes XML with other apps". This forces iTunes to create a physical xml file, and keeps Plex happy.

It took me the best part of 3 days to sort, but things are now running as they should, and hopefully this post may help anyone else in a similar situation.

In hindsight, it was having Plex running at startup which sent me in the wrong direction, as I had assumed that it was the Windows startup routine that was firing up iTunes. A frustrating issue, but on this occasion, Windows 10 is not guilty, and I can resume
    loving it once more! Plex media server -new version needs WRITE access to update libraries :)

Again, many thanks for taking the time to respond, it really is much appreciated.

Cliff

Teflon_Tom, Apr 12, 2016
Thema:

Plex media server -new version needs WRITE access to update libraries

1. Plex media server -new version needs WRITE access to update libraries - Similar Threads - Plex media server

2. can't access plex media folder on file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't access plex media folder on file explorer: helloi can't access my QNAP plex media folder from file exploreri'm using a desktop with win10on the Qlog it says "deny smb1 host security limitation" but in the settings ithas SMB3 highest and SMB2.1 lowestQNAP support said it could be my virus protection AVG blocking it,...
  3. can't access plex media folder on file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't access plex media folder on file explorer: helloi can't access my QNAP plex media folder from file exploreri'm using a desktop with win10on the Qlog it says "deny smb1 host security limitation" but in the settings ithas SMB3 highest and SMB2.1 lowestQNAP support said it could be my virus protection AVG blocking it,...
  4. can't access plex media folder on file explorer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Power Plan for Plex Server

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power Plan for Plex Server: Running a plex server from laptop, I have it set to never sleep. I'm not worried about power consumption only hardware degradation. Anyone here who's running plex do you keep your server on 24/7? submitted by /u/ImpossibleKFC [link] [comments]...
  6. PLEX - update single library in a set ?

PLEX - update single library in a set ?: Hi there If you have PLEX MEDIA server and several Libraries e,g Movies, TV series, BBC, Music and you just add say content to TV series is it possible to get PLEX to just update that library rather than scan the entire Library set -- scanning doesn't take too long but it...
  7. Amazon Fire TV USB stick - PLEX media server

Amazon Fire TV USB stick - PLEX media server: Hi there. Does anybody know if the Amazon Fire TV usb stick will allow the PLEX media server to stream movies from your computer to the TV. I was thinking of getting one of these to use in a "Non smart" but USB capable TV. I can have PLEX running on the computer so can...
  8. Plex media server, unable to download or sign in

Plex media server, unable to download or sign in: Hello! My Plex media server used to work fine, until recently. Now I'm unable to sign in or connect to plex.tv at all. Also trying to re-install plex media server via browser (chrome, edge, firefox) only leads to a spinning loading circle. Pictures attached, feel free to ask...
  9. PLEX Server - copied library to larger HDD - now it does a new update

PLEX Server - copied library to larger HDD - now it does a new update: Hi there I copied my movie library to a larger HDD on my NAS -- however PLEX media server did an entire rescan AND UPDATE again of the library - anyway to prevent re-building the DB -- nothing had changed apart from the fact the HDD was larger -- mount points / shares...
  10. Plex Media Server with Windows 10...Network Path Not Found

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Plex Media Server with Windows 10...Network Path Not Found: I recently found a good deal on a refurb HP Z420 workstation PC running windows 10 pro and decided to pick it up and use it as a dedicated Plex Media Server for my home network. I have it setup and on the network, but I can't seem to be able to share files to it. My main...