Windows 10: PNY SSD stuck in RAW file system

Discus and support PNY SSD stuck in RAW file system in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys, So basically, had to reinstall windows and after doing so, my 480gb PNY SSD stopped working. I have 2 HDD's that had no issues after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Orex, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Orex Win User

PNY SSD stuck in RAW file system

Hi guys,

So basically, had to reinstall windows and after doing so, my 480gb PNY SSD stopped working. I have 2 HDD's that had no issues after reinstall of windows but the PNY SSD. It shows its drive letter but thats it, no space thats on it or anything.

It shows its file system as RAW. I have tried multiple times to reformat it to NTFS and it says windows can't format the drive.

I downloaded crystaldisk to check the disk to make sure its not dying and crystaldisk says its 100% healthy.

If anyone has any ideas I would much appreciate it. I feel like i've tried everything at this point.

:)

2. clarkjwc Win User

Cannot run chkdsk D: reported as type 'RAW'

My C: is SSD and old system hard disk is D:

Has page file on D:

System start reported building system page file on C:

I rebooted and see D: disk OK

When I try to run chkdsk /f D: system reports that disk is RAW. This is indeed a regular hard disk, not SSD.

How can I run and repair disk D?

clarkjwc, Jun 24, 2017
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Having trouble with clean install of Windows 10 on new SSD.

If its an empty SSD, delete all the partitions and leave it raw space. Tell it to install into the raw space.

'Mike P, Jun 24, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Might check Disk Management to try formatting as exFAT and if that works try reformatting to NTFS.

I have reformatted a 16GB USB Thumb drive in Win10 to exFAT so I can transfer large files from my MacBook Pro with macOS Sierra to my Windows or Linux computers. Most Thumb drives come formatted as FAT32 but that has a limit of 4GB file size.

When I have a difficult partitioning/formatting job I use either a GPARTED bootable CD or a Linux LiveDVD that contains GPARTED, my current favorite is Linux Mint 17.3 or 18.1. Note: the LiveDVD versions of Linux [usually free] are bootable and can be run from the DVD, great to check a computer before installing it if that may be a desire. GParted -- Download

Berton, Jun 24, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Make sure the computer does a full reboot by selecting Restart from the power icon. Then open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and run:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the disk number of the problem SSD. Make sure to get it right!
    clean <- this will erase everything on the selected disk
    convert gpt
    create part pri
    format fs=ntfs quick
    assign
    exit
    exit

NavyLCDR, Jun 24, 2017
  6. Orex Win User
    I did try that, it wouldn't format to exFAT.

I did as you asked, once I did format fs=ntfs quick it did a 0 percent completed and then gave me *BiggriniskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect.See the System Event Log for more information.

I went into the event log and found this: The IO operation at logical block address 0x5f99a8 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000089) was retried.

Details:

Code: Log Name: SystemSource: DiskDate: 6/25/2017 7:35:08 AMEvent ID: 153Task Category: NoneLevel: WarningKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: DESKTOP-BJNO7S4Description:The IO operation at logical block address 0x5f99a8 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000089) was retried.Event Xml:<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Disk" /> <EventID Qualifiers="32772">153</EventID> <Level>3</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-06-25T14:35:08.908414600Z" /> <EventRecordID>7306</EventRecordID> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>DESKTOP-BJNO7S4</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data>\Device\Harddisk1\DR4</Data> <Data>0x5f99a8</Data> <Data>1</Data> <Data>\Device\00000089</Data> <Binary>0F01040004002C00000000009900048000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000428</Binary> </EventData></Event>[/quote]

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PNY SSD stuck in RAW file system - Similar Threads - PNY SSD stuck

2. RAW file system USB can not be recovered

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAW file system USB can not be recovered: Hello everyone! Please help me out!So I have a Kingston USB 3.0 32GB. I used Ventoy to create a multi-boot USB. But after the program ran successfully, the USB could not be accessible: "You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it"I checked the status in Disk...
  3. RAW file system USB can not be recovered

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAW file system USB can not be recovered: Hello everyone! Please help me out!So I have a Kingston USB 3.0 32GB. I used Ventoy to create a multi-boot USB. But after the program ran successfully, the USB could not be accessible: "You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it"I checked the status in Disk...
  4. RAW file system USB can not be recovered

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. NTFS file system changed to RAW

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS file system changed to RAW: I encountered a power loss during a Microsoft update and now one of my external drives is showing "RAW" instead of "NTFS". I tried to execute the command: "convert K: /fs:NTFS" but it tells me "Drive K: is already NTFS.". Are there multiple places where the file system type...
  6. USB File System is RAW

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB File System is RAW: Dear Microsof Community please help me with my problem. My USB OTG suddenly got an error saying "you need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it" I tried using EaseUs, but other than that I did not try anymore 3rd party application, since majority of them has to...
  7. File RAW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File RAW: Mi si dice che nel PC c'è una raccolta di file RAW, ma io finora non l'ho trovata. Chi mi sa dire qualcosa? Grazie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-raw/e1b498f5-d80e-460e-8834-c5de98fb08a3
  8. Can't run TRIM on PNY CS900 SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't run TRIM on PNY CS900 SSD: I just upgraded my hard drive (MBR) with a PNY SSD on a HP p6640f running Windows 10 v 1909 and everything went well. The new SSD is recognized in Device Manager with no flags. I went into Windows Optimize Drives and my Wind C: shows a ss drive however it states "optimization...
  9. The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives

in Windows 10 News
    The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]CHKDSK is a useful tool when you need to repair bad or corrupt sectors of your hard disk. But at times, when trying to run this Disk Checking tool you may see an error message – The type of the [...] This post The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is...
  10. My system screws up RAW files

in Windows 10 Support
    My system screws up RAW files: I'm running Win 10 Pro X64, Anniversary Edition. Lately (starting before the Anniversary upgrade), RAW files often display with screwed-up colors and details. This happens (though not consistently) with .CR2 Canon and .ORF Olympus files, and with Adobe Photoshop Elements...