Windows 10: Poor smoothing on 1080p second monitor from laptop with Hi-Res display

Discus and support Poor smoothing on 1080p second monitor from laptop with Hi-Res display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I think the title pretty much sums it up - no matter how many times I go through the cleartype tuner on the external monitor, the text on it always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GarethHubball, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Poor smoothing on 1080p second monitor from laptop with Hi-Res display

I think the title pretty much sums it up - no matter how many times I go through the cleartype tuner on the external monitor, the text on it always looks jagged and not crisp at all, images aren't much better either. My laptop screen is fine. For reference the laptop is a Dell XPS13 with a 3200x1800 screen and the external monitor is a Dell one as well with a 1080p resolution connected via a DVI-HDMI cable into a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Can anyone please help as this is driving me barmy!

:)

GarethHubball, Jul 20, 2018

2. 1080p Laptop Sceen to 4K Monitor

Hi All,

I recently updated to a 4K Monitor which i have attached as a second display to my Alienware 1080P Laptop.

I have noticed at first setup that the 4K monitor has everything so small due to its DPI advantage but its unreadable.

If i change the resolution to 125% .. 150% the screen becomes blurry.

If i change the main display to my Monitor it becomes crystal clear at 150% but my laptop screen becomes blurry and zoomed in.

any help would be great.

Thanks

MatthewJones002, Jul 20, 2018
  3. Dual Monitor Setup issues - 4k and 1080p combination

The issue is worse than it seems at first. I have a 4k display (200%) scaling and a 1080p display (100% scaling) and even office apps look blurry on the 1080p display. If I unplug the 4k display and reboot the problem goes away. I believe the problem is
    present on all apps and is a system issue. It's been suggested that to get the 100% scaling everything on both monitors is generated at 200% and then the part on the 1080p display is downsampled to 100%, resulting in the poor quality.

As it is Windows 10 is almost unusable with a very different DPI dual monitor setup.

RichardLittlewood, Jul 20, 2018
  4. TheKaiser Win User

Poor smoothing on 1080p second monitor from laptop with Hi-Res display

Second monitor having problems displaying 1080p with windows 10

Before updating to windows 10, I had my second monitor running with the extend this display option and it was running fine with 1080p. After updating however, the second monitor isnt working properly. Its displaying at a lower resolution, but it still says its in 1080p, and when I have something halfway between the screens, the page will display properly on both, but once its too far, it goes to the lower resolution. Ive updated my drivers and it sill doesn't work, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

TheKaiser, Jul 20, 2018
Thema:

Poor smoothing on 1080p second monitor from laptop with Hi-Res display

1. Poor smoothing on 1080p second monitor from laptop with Hi-Res display - Similar Threads - Poor smoothing 1080p

2. Second, lower res monitor acting as default monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second, lower res monitor acting as default monitor: I have two monitors set up. One is a 1K monitor and the other 4K. Even though my 4K one is set as the default monitor and plugged into the first port on my graphics card the computer uses to 1K one to show the boot screen on. That isnt much of a problem. The poblem is that...
  3. Second, lower res monitor acting as default monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second, lower res monitor acting as default monitor: I have two monitors set up. One is a 1K monitor and the other 4K. Even though my 4K one is set as the default monitor and plugged into the first port on my graphics card the computer uses to 1K one to show the boot screen on. That isnt much of a problem. The poblem is that...
  4. Second, lower res monitor acting as default monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 1080p on a 4K monitor or 1080p?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    1080p on a 4K monitor or 1080p?: If I get a 4K, I'd play 1080p on it before later upgrading GPU for 4K But I hear 1080p on 4K = blurry. Or is it one of those things like 'very high shadows' v 'high shadows' where you'd need to compare screenshots to see a difference and / or care?
  6. Second Monitor does not display on boot from Shutdown. Second monitor is only displayed on...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Second Monitor does not display on boot from Shutdown. Second monitor is only displayed on...: This just started happening recently after I updated Windows and my graphics driver. When I shutdown the computer and turn it back on, I am not able to see the display on my second monitor. But with only one monitor working, if I click restart, the computer reboots and now...
  7. Desktop computer display shows 1080i on 1080p monitor with settings set to display 1080p.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop computer display shows 1080i on 1080p monitor with settings set to display 1080p.: So my SSD recently shorted out and I had to get it replaced. After I got the replacement the display on my computer was only showing 1080i instead of 1080p. It also switches to 1080p when I'm in a game but switches back to 1080i when on my desktop. I have no idea what caused...
  8. 4K monitor displaying from 1080p laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    4K monitor displaying from 1080p laptop: Hi I have a quick question (hope this is the right category). I recently purchased a Dell 4k monitor (P2415Q) to use on my Asus 1080p laptop. I did noticed that I was able to stream 4k video online fine (extended display mode), however I will be using the 4k display mainly...
  9. second laptop for display monitor

second laptop for display monitor: Won't detect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-laptop-for-display-monitor/744493e6-624f-456e-8663-0dfc47c6b535
  10. Second monitor having problems displaying 1080p with windows 10

Second monitor having problems displaying 1080p with windows 10: Before updating to windows 10, I had my second monitor running with the extend this display option and it was running fine with 1080p. After updating however, the second monitor isnt working properly. Its displaying at a lower resolution, but it still says its in 1080p, and...