Windows 10: Poor Wifi on a desktop PC

Discus and support Poor Wifi on a desktop PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a big old desktop PC. Huge metal coolermaster cm storm trooper case. I connect to internet via Ethernet. Works well. But when I ordered the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scottyboy99, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Poor Wifi on a desktop PC

I have a big old desktop PC. Huge metal coolermaster cm storm trooper case. I connect to internet via Ethernet. Works well. But when I ordered the custom built machine I asked for an internal dual band wifi card just in case i had to ever move the machine where it was unfeasible to run a wired connection. Out of curiousity I today screwed in the three antenna which were supplied to the back of the PC (with great difficulty reaching the tight space) and then joined my wifi on it. Just gauge its working ok if needed. At this point it's worth noting we use wifi at home all the time on our consoles and Apple devices and it works well with strong signals and good throughput. But on the desktop machine I was testing it was terrible. Barely able to connect and when it did it was at speeds of less than 10 megabits. and this is even with my access point in the same room!

is this because the antenna are right round the back of the PC (largely metallic case) with no clear line of sight to the access point? I suspect this is the case and clunky desktop PC are not suited well to wifi. I just remember we had a gaming laptop in this very room sometime ago which had absolutely no issues using the home wifi

:)

Scottyboy99, Oct 14, 2016

2. after i got update frome upgrade advisor got error code (801882d2)

This error mostly occurs due to poor WiFi signal. Connect to a different and better WiFi and try downloading the updates.

Stranger_Hanyo, Oct 14, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    internet connectivity

The phone creates a WiFi hotspot for your PC to connect to when you turn on internet sharing. You data plan has to support this for it to work.

If it is a laptop you already have WiFi. If it is a desktop you can get a USB WiFi adapter, less than $10, to enable WiFi on the desktop

garym123, Oct 14, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Poor Wifi on a desktop PC

It depends on where you have the antenna placed for the desktop. If it is inside the case, you need to put in an external one. Also the Wireless radio on your Gateway has a lot to do with it.

If you plan on gaming, look at going with Dual or triple antenna Wireless-ac for the computer and your connection to the router. You can go to smallnetbuilder.com for further information.

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  5. The internal card is triple antenna ac. But I think because they screw into the three holes right round the back of the PC there is massive attenuation. I think to make the wifi useable I need to extend the cable from the back so the antennas have a clearer line of sight. Trouble is finding a solution. Three long cables coming from the back to three separate antenna which are non standing!

Scottyboy99, Oct 15, 2016
  6. linw Win User
    I presume you can't swivel the comp around to test the theory?

7. Unfortunately not. The storm trooper case is colossal (in hindsight a regrettable decision !) and just about fitted under the desk. Just getting round the back to access something is quite a mission.

Scottyboy99, Oct 15, 2016
  8. linw Win User

Checkout drivers. Google that card with win 10.

Find an extended aerial? I've got one on the end of a wire.

9. Wullail Win User
    See if you can borrow a wifi extender/repeater to put next to or close by the PC and see if it makes any difference to the signal strength?

Otherwise there are single aerials that you can buy with long leads that you screw in-place of your current ones and then place them anywhere you want , many have magnetic bases , but they generally aren't that cheap.

Found this as an option...

TP-LINK TL-ANT24EC5S 5m Antenna Extension Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

Wullail, Oct 15, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    You should be able to get the extension wires to allow you to place the antennas up high. What is the mfg and model of the card inside the machine and what chipset is on the wifi?

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    That is not going to solve their problem. They had to move the unit, so there is no easy way to put a wired device in the area. Going with Ethernet over Power adapters are bad if you are wanting speeds for media streaming or gaming.

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  12. Wullail Win User
    Please re-read what I wrote , I didn't mention PoE or wired devices , powered wifi extender.

Wullail, Oct 15, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

Again it is not going to solve their problem. No need for you to act like no one read your post.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Poor Wifi on a desktop PC - Similar Threads - Poor Wifi desktop

2. PC is dawdling, very poor performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC is dawdling, very poor performance: Hi upgraded my PC to windows 11 and somehow it's really slow. It's lagging so much and I know my internet is good. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-is-dawdling-very-poor-performance/f16c041c-e17e-4a55-9080-acfc30672dfd
  3. Poor performance after pc reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Poor performance after pc reset: Reset my pc and now apps and games freeze or run at extremely low frames, and videos will freeze but audio will continue. Apps and games don't consume much resource so that's not it, drivers are up to date....
  4. Wifi Disappears and Connection Is Extremely Poor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Disappears and Connection Is Extremely Poor: Hi, so this problem happened on the 29th. Everything was normal, but then I moved my monitor a couple inches so it could be easily reached. After that, I noticed the wifi wasn't connected and when I clicked to connect all the networks were gone. Occasionally, my hotspot...
  5. NZXT prebuilt poor WIFI connection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    NZXT prebuilt poor WIFI connection: Hey guys! So I recently got a NZXT prebuilt PC with a preinstalled WIFI Adapter and Windows 10. I've booted it up and it works fine but one major issue I'm having is with my WIFI connection. I'm getting full bars on my iPad, iPhone and MacBook but only 2-3/4 bars on my PC...
  6. poor WIFI connectivity and network porblems

poor WIFI connectivity and network porblems: so just few hours ago I restarted my laptop, which I don't do often. After the reboot I found out that I cant connect to any network without it being "limited" or just "secured", with no internet connection in reality. I tried pining google for that. Trying to solve the...
  7. wifi connectivity poor after update.

wifi connectivity poor after update.: we have multiple laptops and the ones running WIN 10 keep shuting the wifi adapter off'. The fix for this was to uncheck the connect automatically box for the adapter in the notification pane. I was able to use ethernet and after getting closer to the router, I had decent...
  8. Wifi connection on desktop PC

Wifi connection on desktop PC: How to set up wifi on desktop PC, I have motherboard ASRock Z370 Gaming ITX/ac with wifi adapter but can not run wifi. Thanks for help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-connection-on-desktop-pc/148d00a5-9199-4782-ae78-b5afb7bed784
  9. Poor LAN wifi speed

Poor LAN wifi speed: Hi, My wifi connection between my PC and my router seems to be kind of slow as it reaches max around 50 Mbps. I'm not talking about my internet speed but about the speed between my PC and my router. I have this setup - Archer T4U USB 802.11 ac (drivers updated) - USB 3...
  10. Remote Desktop Connection - poor resolution

Remote Desktop Connection - poor resolution: When I connect from my laptop to my desktop via Remote Desktop Connection client, the resolution becomes poor - the text is not smooth (the colors look OK). I went to Remote Desktop Connection/Options/Display, colors are set to Highest Quality, all seems to be set...