Windows 10: Poor Win 10 performance. Software takes a long time to start etc

Discus and support Poor Win 10 performance. Software takes a long time to start etc in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago and experience a poor performance on the entire system. The problem identifies itselves in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Hoggorm, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Hoggorm Win User

Poor Win 10 performance. Software takes a long time to start etc

Hi,

I installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago and experience a poor performance on the entire system.

The problem identifies itselves in the following ways:

- Often when I double click an icon to start a software nothing happens at all. After a few tries the software starts as expected

- While running various software it stoppes working for a few secounds all the time. When I would like to copy this text into Word 2016 for example and do a spelling check before posting, Word 2016 shows (stopped working) behind the name at the top several times before I am able to do the spelling check. This happens in basically all programs.

- While writing there is often (but not always) a time lag from when I press a letter to it is displayed on the screen. It can be from just a little longer than normal to several secounds.

I use Kaspersky antivirus and have tried to deactivate it, but this do not solve the problem.

As far as I can see there is no stress on the CPU. The computer fan is at low and the CPU is running barely over 10%

Any ideas what can be wrong? It was not like this in Windows 7 for sure...

:)

Hoggorm, Apr 6, 2016
  2. Raj P25 Win User

Win 10 suddenly takes long time to boot

Gerry

I ran Autoruns like you had asked and only found one small issue.

Microsoft Windows Media Player File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe

I unchecked it and restarted the laptop but the problem still existed. After that I tried a lot of things for next 3 to 4 days but none of it worked. So as a last resort, I decided to uninstall “Skype” (because as a matter of fact when I first encountered
    the issue, I had updated Skype to the latest version and it worked for couple of weeks before the problem started again). I restarted my laptop and waited for couple of days and it did not work. Then I installed a fresh new copy of Skype and then to my surprise
    it started working again. My laptop was booting within 15 seconds. I waited for couple of days and it still boots up fast. I have no idea why this is happening and it will be like one of those mysterious things about MS operating systems. (Since then I tried
    to find whether there is any connection between Skype and fast booting but I was never able to find anything). I just thought I will update that the issue is solved as of now. (But not sure whether it will resurface again as this solution does look mysterious).

Raj

Raj P25, Apr 6, 2016
  3. Raj P25 Win User
    Win 10 suddenly takes long time to boot

Thanks Gerry for your quick and kind reply.

Before uploading the System Information file, I have something else to say. I was having this issue for the last one month and I had searched all over internet for solutions and never found. So finally I decided to post this question and I framed it on MS
    Word. Just before posting I wanted to check if some program was installed on my laptop just before it started having this issue. So I went to “Programs and features” sorted on “Installed on date” and found that my PC had automatically installed an update of
    Skype on 14th of Jan (which is just before the start of this issue). So I wanted to make sure whether this update has caused the booting issue. I opened Skype and updated to latest version and then shutdown my PC completely (NOT A RESTART) and switched
    it back on with POWER ON. The problem continued and so I guessed that it was a different issue and posted this query.

Then I saw your reply and then RESTARTED my PC with POWER ON and surprisingly found that it just took 40 seconds to boot (still better than 2 to 4 minutes). So I shut down my PC completely and then switched on with POWER ON. This time, surprisingly it started
    booting in just 15-20 seconds (just like how it was earlier). I did this a couple of times to be sure and it started working perfectly like it used to be earlier. This means it was a problem with Skype and I should have waited some more time before posting
    the query and now I am embarrassed.

Anyway thanks again and I will check a couple of days more and if my original problem repeats, then I will upload the System Information file just like you have asked.

Raj P25, Apr 6, 2016
  4. Poor Win 10 performance. Software takes a long time to start etc

hTconeM9user, Apr 6, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Please run a full virus scan, then see if any improvements.
    Please post back the result.

davidhk, Apr 7, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    What is you Win 10 version ?

In your search box, type winver > Enter.
    It tells you which version you have.

This is mine ....................

Poor Win 10 performance. Software takes a long time to start etc [​IMG]

davidhk, Apr 7, 2016
  7. Hoggorm Win User
    I have the same version you have; 1511 (OS-build 10586.164) Windows10 Pro

I started a full virus scan, but after 10 minutes it had not scanned a single file yet, so I aborted it. I'll try it again tomorrow.

I'm currently running the SFC Command suggestion by hTconeM9user above. It is currently 25% complete, so I won't have any results until tomorrow.

Thank you for all help so far. I'm hoping there is a solution to this. I have Auslogics BoostSpeed 8 and have applied basically every performance optimization suggestion it gives, but I do not see any improvement at all. And as mentioned the CPU is not struggeling at all...

It just took over a minute to start BoostSpeed 8 (I've disabeled the start with windows feature thinking it maybe was the cause to this) and nearly three (!) to get Word 2016 up and running... It is just ridicilus...

Hoggorm, Apr 7, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Have a look at this tutorial.

How to Optimize the Performance of Windows 10
    Optimize Performance of Windows 10
    I am not asking you to do all the methods listed. Try what you think is more applicable to your case.

davidhk, Apr 7, 2016
  9. You have Boost speed which I also have try the other free one from Auslogics Tweakbit FixMyPc it is free and it clears up and runs on its own in the background

hTconeM9user, Apr 7, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    To : hoggorm,
    All those so-called "boostspeed", registry cleaners etc are at best snaked oiled, at worst potential damage to your computer.
    Stay away of those garbage.

Read these replies from Microsoft Community forum.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c5c656d?auth=1

Teen geek was the only one saying it was good, and he was the least experienced one among all the members who replied.
    Those who opposed using it were the well known experts.

I knew all those people. I used to be a member there wearing a MCC badge (2011) until I stopped contributing in order to concentrate on a new business endeavour.

davidhk, Apr 7, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 7, 2016
  12. Hoggorm Win User
    Ok, first of all – the problem appears to be fixed. As far as I can see there was a Cloud service software that was constantly checking and updating my rather large collection of pictures and saving them to the cloud. I did not have many programs running, but started to shut down one after the other until the performance suddenly increased.

I find it somewhat strange that this did not identify it selves in the taskbar. There everything was calm and quiet as mentioned above. Both CPU, disk and internet was well below maximum. Maybe you know why?

I did a full virus scan without finding anything
    I've done the SFC command three times and it do find a problem that was not fixable. To try to fix this I continued with the DISM repair suggestion but it finished saying that it could not do anything since it could not find the required files. I do not know where to find them, so I stopped there...

I’ve entered my specs for this laptop now. I have not done this before since I have several computers running Windows 10, and all have different specs…

No, I have not checked if this laptop is Win 10 compatible, but I assume it is.

I did an upgrade from Windows 7 and then restored it to a clean install immediately after the upgrade was done.

I know there are different opinions regarding such software, but I am no computer expert as yourself. How would you suggest that I keep my computers running smooth and problem free without advanced usage of the system?

Thank you for the link. I’ve done most of these that do not require buying more RAM, a new HD etc.

Hoggorm, Apr 7, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

RE : How would you suggest that I keep my computers running smooth and problem free without advanced usage of the system?

This is how I do on my 2 laptops.
    I am not suggesting that will be all you need to do. I am just showing you what I do to my computers.
    1. Once a week I use CCleaner to do disk cleanup. Stay way from the Registry section.
    2. I use Auslogics disk defrag to sort out fragmented files etc.
    3. I run my virus scan regularly to make sure a clean bill of health. I also run Malwarebytes, free edition, to scan malwares regularly.
    4. I store all my personal files ( Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music etc ) to an external hard drive to ease up the burden of the hard drive.

Re : To try to fix this I continued with the DISM repair suggestion but it finished saying that it could not do anything since it could not find the required files

Your error message should be " Source files could not be found ".

Use the Tech Bench link below to download YOUR version of Windows 10 ISO.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench
    Make sure you select the same language and bit version as your computer is now running.

Once you have the iso downloaded, right click at the ISO > click Mount > leave it there.
    Then open the elevated command prompt and copy and paste this................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Note : H is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.

When it is completed, you should get the report that the operation is successful.
    Now run the sfc /scannow again. It should be ok this time.

davidhk, Apr 7, 2016
  14. simon123 Win User
    you possibly have a virus

simon123, Apr 7, 2016
  15. Hoggorm Win User
    I see. So you use CCleaner to some extend at least. Good to know.

Thank you for this. It was very helpful and both DISM and SFC reported problems to be fixed!

Hoggorm, Apr 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Poor Win 10 performance. Software takes a long time to start etc - Similar Threads - Poor performance Software

2. Win 10 auto update taking long time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 auto update taking long time: 4 hours into Win 10 auto update. Still 0% complete configuring. Why does this happen? Last 3 times update took hours and I had to shut it down, when I tried to reboot, I got black screen. I had to reset and lost all files....
  3. Win 10 auto update taking long time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 auto update taking long time: 4 hours into Win 10 auto update. Still 0% complete configuring. Why does this happen? Last 3 times update took hours and I had to shut it down, when I tried to reboot, I got black screen. I had to reset and lost all files....
  4. Win 10 auto update taking long time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Very Poor Performance , app freeze etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very Poor Performance , app freeze etc.: Hello I'm an avid fan of Microsoft and I would rather keep using this products.However this past days my PC performance is disappointing I havent done anything, windows just updated and suddenly my PC is working very slow, how can I enhance or at least get it back to...
  6. Very Poor Performance , app freeze etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very Poor Performance , app freeze etc.: Hello I'm an avid fan of Microsoft and I would rather keep using this products.However this past days my PC performance is disappointing I havent done anything, windows just updated and suddenly my PC is working very slow, how can I enhance or at least get it back to...
  7. Very Poor Performance , app freeze etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. win.10 taking long time to boot up

in Windows 10 Customization
    win.10 taking long time to boot up: For the last 3 weeks or so, when i boot up w.-10, it takes about 10 minutes to start, compared to previously about 20 seconds. I use w. 10 - 64 bit - kasperskyTotal....
  9. Win 10 taking long time to start up after reset

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 taking long time to start up after reset: Hi, folks. Everytime I press the rest button in my case and Windows (is supposed to) load, after Windows 10 icon, it gets black. Once it got black for a looong time and I had nothing more to do than reset settings. So, I lost all my applications register (I'm having to...
  10. Win 10 taking a really long time to boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 taking a really long time to boot: I have a Dell Inspiron 3531 with the Windows 10 free upgrade (Home edition) and an Intel Celeron N2830. Since a couple of days, my laptop is taking a really long time to start up. After it powers on, there is a blank screen for 1-2 minutes before the Dell logo and loading...