Windows 10: popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer

Discus and support popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; r? tech/IT help please? so my mom went to a legit website unless she mistyped it, then a popup came up, saying system had a virus and to call... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Iliveinmyhead, May 21, 2017.

1. popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer

r?

tech/IT help please? so my mom went to a legit website unless she mistyped it, then a popup came up, saying system had a virus and to call windows with a phone #. we did & he said we hv ransomware *i don't think we have it though, didn't fit with what i googled* & he said we have to pay $199.99 to fix & then another amount for 1 yr security b/c i don't think we have anything installed. my dad said restart the computer b/c it was a scam. unfortunately that was on speaker before we hung up with guy. once we restarted the computer, it was asking for a password, but that screen didn't look familiar. eventually it got to where we are now, which is asking us to restore the computer. the yelp IT guy we used before said he wouldn't click it & then mentioned it's his off day today

:)

Iliveinmyhead, May 21, 2017
  2. Nate W.H. Win User

WinPhone7 Keeps asking me to restore to previous version

Hi TwigX,

The issue you're describing sounds like it is most likely an issue with the phone itself that may require replacement. If the phone won't boot up at all the only thing we can try is to perform a factory reset by holding both the volume up and down buttons
    while the phone restarts. The factory reset does wipe the phone.

If a hard reset doesn't help resolve the issue you will want to see what sort of exchange can be done by your cellular provider or HTC.

Regards,

Nate W.H., May 21, 2017
  3. WinPhone7 Keeps asking me to restore to previous version

I'm currently in a e-mail conversation with someone over at HTC, seems to be they shut for the weekend but I have also tried the Factory Reset via Hardware and that doesn't work so I believe it will have to be a replacement

DaftPuddin, May 21, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer

spunk, May 21, 2017
  5. AndreyT Win User
    You have not downloaded any ransomware. You simply mistyped an URL and visited an ordinary and completely harmless "scareware" site that attempted to sell you a piece of completely unnecessary "protection software". Apparently you did not buy that software, which is good, since it is indeed a scam. (Why did you even call them?)

End of story.

Unlikely. But if you want help, you need to provide more precise and useful information about that screen instead of that "didn't look familiar".

AndreyT, May 21, 2017
  6. my mom did initially, but i should hv wised up, which i didn't.
    sorry. didn't take a picture, but luckily it popped up again. it's asking for a "startup password"

7. popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer [​IMG]

8. kimkl Win User

I had that scare with my Windows XP visited website and browser window was locked and BIG TITLES FBI was going to haul me to court now i am not a native of the US but i believe FBI only handles internal affairs so was a hoax ofc, prob was what got installed using a flash applet or was it the temp browser files can't remember anymore, but i was also looked out can't remember how i got rid of it but on Windows 10 that should not be possible so can you explain some more

kimkl, May 21, 2017
  9. kimkl Win User
    that looks like the old screensaver hoax anyone remember how that trick worked, i swear it looks like the Windows 7 screensaver password hoax you could unlock by doing something, but can't remember what it was, have you installed any software or let anyone from the web access your pc remotely

kimkl, May 21, 2017
  10. i'm pretty sure this is windows 10 *chance i could be wrong* but yes when we talked to the phone guy, gave remote access. STUPID. I know

11. kimkl Win User
    quick question why have you named the image like that seems error would do *Biggrin or virus but given it a 25 number name seems a bit much

kimkl, May 21, 2017
  12. kimkl Win User
    Yes that was not very vise, but now you know better
    i can only recommend 1 thing and i think the others agree FORMAT the whole drive reinstall Windows i would not trust a antivirus software getting everything
    *Biggrin

kimkl, May 21, 2017
  13. popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer

lol that was the default. i'm lazy. yeah so i'm not real technical so the whole format the drive = me popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer o_O?? >.< HELP

14. kimkl Win User
    My guess is every action you perform visiting online banking, typing in passwords and so on EVERYTHING gets logged so i would format the drive.

kimkl, May 21, 2017
  15. essenbe Win User
    It looks like a possible syskey the guy used to lock you out of your computer. I would not try to startup again.

essenbe, May 21, 2017
Thema:

1. popup asking me to call windows? now asking me to restore computer - Similar Threads - popup asking call

2. My computer is claimed locked by Microsoft now due to virus and asked me to call...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer is claimed locked by Microsoft now due to virus and asked me to call...: Please see the title https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-claimed-locked-by-microsoft-now-due/8cad093f-ffd2-4d47-b430-59d4e40fe015
  3. My computer is claimed locked by Microsoft now due to virus and asked me to call...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is claimed locked by Microsoft now due to virus and asked me to call...: Please see the title https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-claimed-locked-by-microsoft-now-due/8cad093f-ffd2-4d47-b430-59d4e40fe015
  4. My computer is claimed locked by Microsoft now due to virus and asked me to call...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. I have this popup asking me to sign in to msa

I have this popup asking me to sign in to msa: Every time I start my laptop from hibernate or shutdown I try to login and instead of my ms pin I get this link typy text saying sign in. It continues to make me sign in to my msa in a window which is similar to the browser sign in. This recently started to happen and I don't...
  6. I have this popup asking me to sign in to msa

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have this popup asking me to sign in to msa: Every time I start my laptop from hibernate or shutdown I try to login and instead of my ms pin I get this link typy text saying sign in. It continues to make me sign in to my msa in a window which is similar to the browser sign in. This recently started to happen and I don't...
  7. System restores asking me for the password.

in Windows 10 Customization
    System restores asking me for the password.: I used my Microsoft account password but as you can see the password is incorrect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restores-asking-me-for-the-password/10a2fc28-50a7-458d-9dcf-da960e4cda33
  8. Alert Asking me to Call a Number

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Alert Asking me to Call a Number: Split from this thread. I have a “critcal alert from micrsoft with alarms sounding and voice saying to call helpline at<Removed>It says computer is locked and not to shutdown or restart. It says windows firewall has blocked some features of this program. There is a box with...
  9. An App called "Line" keeps asking me to login.

An App called "Line" keeps asking me to login.: What is it and how do I delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-app-called-line-keeps-asking-me-to-login/613bae29-b115-471b-b0f8-2735681d86f7
  10. computer keeps asking me to restart computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    computer keeps asking me to restart computer: how do I solve this problem only happened since the april update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/computer-keeps-asking-me-to-restart-computer/56dfd0ca-550d-45d1-8f86-f31e4b8e615b