Windows 10: Portable app opening wrong desktop after switch to standard user...

Discus and support Portable app opening wrong desktop after switch to standard user... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For a long time, I've used an admin account in Windows for everyday use. Based on recommendations, I finally switched to using a Standard account for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AshleyQuick, May 23, 2017.

1. Portable app opening wrong desktop after switch to standard user...

For a long time, I've used an admin account in Windows for everyday use. Based on recommendations, I finally switched to using a Standard account for safety. Consequently, a portable app that I use regularly now prompts me to enter my Admin password and when I open files within the app, it defaults to the admin's desktop and not the desktop for the account I'm on. Is there a fix for this? It's cumbersome to now drill down to C:\Users\name\desktop\

:)

AshleyQuick, May 23, 2017

2. Windows 10 Unable to open desktop or taskbar shortcuts as a standard user

After the most recent Windows updates standard users are no longer able to open desktop or taskbar shortcuts created by the user. Example: Open PAINT and then pin it to the taskbar. Now try to launch the program from the taskbar. The error "Your system administrator
    has blocked this program." appears but if you browser to the EXE a standard user can then run the app. Any ideas?????

Already ran DISM and SFC without any errors.

No changes to the system other than Windows updates applied recently.

Moved from: ( Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

iH8Windows, May 23, 2017
  3. alfafla Win User
    One Standard User Account has lost Start Menu and Edge

Desktop running Win10(64)Home with Edge and IE11 (up from Win7,SP1):

None of my privileged User Accounts is affected, only the Standard User Account can't open the apps. Win10 had been up and working for two or three weeks when the apps suddenly quit while I was tweaking my Edge Favorites as the Standard User. How can I restore
    the apps to the Standard User Account without losing my files?

alfafla, May 23, 2017
  4. Superfly Win User

Portable app opening wrong desktop after switch to standard user...

Which app in particular? Most portable apps. have configuration files that hold temporary data (not so temporary in this instance..) - some do use the registry, however - search for that app.'s keys there.

Superfly, May 23, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Move app and data to your profile being portable you should be able to do this with no problems

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Portable app opening wrong desktop after switch to standard user...

1. Portable app opening wrong desktop after switch to standard user... - Similar Threads - Portable app opening

2. Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop: Love the new multiple desktop feature, I currently have 8 different desktops going now. However, the one major annoyance I have is switching between them. When I hit the win + tab key to bring up the list of desktops and click on another desktop to switch, often I'll go to a...
  3. Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop: Love the new multiple desktop feature, I currently have 8 different desktops going now. However, the one major annoyance I have is switching between them. When I hit the win + tab key to bring up the list of desktops and click on another desktop to switch, often I'll go to a...
  4. Switching Desktops Goes to Wrong Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Admin Rights switched to Standard User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin Rights switched to Standard User: Win10 Pro Ver. 21H1 I recently changed my logon password and somehow (probably being careless) have disabled my Administrator Rights and switched the system to Standard User. Now of course the UAC is preventing me from opening apps, various sites, Power Shell (Admin) or...
  6. Admin Rights switched to Standard User

in Windows 10 Support
    Admin Rights switched to Standard User: Win10 Pro Ver. 21H1 I recently changed my logon password and somehow (probably being careless) have disabled my Administrator Rights and switched the system to Standard User. Now of course the UAC is preventing me from opening apps, various sites, Power Shell (Admin) or...
  7. Windows switch user and Password wrong

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows switch user and Password wrong: Hello helper, Few minutes ago I created new user profile for my laptop and restarted to login into that user account while creating that account my wifi was disabled, when i am in login screen it showing the user profile service failed the sign in and user profile cannot be...
  8. Prevent auto switching of desktops if user closes app

Prevent auto switching of desktops if user closes app: Situation Excel files open in multiple desktops desktop 1 and 2 1 file is closed on desktop 2 System jumps to desktop 1 It's pretty annoying...
  9. Standard desktop Background for all users

Standard desktop Background for all users: Does anyone have instructions to change the default background on Windows 10 Pro? I want everyone that logs in to get our customized logo. Thank you in advance. 50838
  10. User desktop and switching users

in Windows 10 Support
    User desktop and switching users: After upgrading from Win 7 64 to Win 10 64, whenever a different user logs into the computer the desktop gets screwed up for the original user. Both accounts are admin accounts; one has a password, the does not. Has anyone else seen this and does anyone know how to fix it?...