Windows 10: Portable apps file association/open with//"Types.exe" app

Discus and support Portable apps file association/open with//"Types.exe" app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Looks like another annoyance (don't get me wrong, i'm not a 10 hater *Tongue) : when i do "open with" and select a portable app, nothing happens :/... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by unko, Dec 16, 2015.

1. unko Win User

Portable apps file association/open with//"Types.exe" app

Looks like another annoyance (don't get me wrong, i'm not a 10 hater *Tongue) : when i do "open with" and select a portable app, nothing happens :/ Also if in the portable app i tick options such as "show context menu", this won't take effect. All that worked fine on 7.

I dunno for 8.1 but i guess it's same as 10? Anyways, is there a workaround? Can't live without that! Another thing : the great"types.exe" app that we all use(d) on 7 doesn't work here, is there an alternative or not yet? Perhaps it's just not possible at all to have such *Think

:)

2. what is file .cd7d5

Upon startup I get a message "look for app to open .cd7d5". What is this file and what is it associated too?

JeffDMueller, Dec 16, 2015
  3. Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults

I don't know what you try to tell me with this reply and how it helps to prevent modern apps to grab file associations while still allowing me to select modern apps from the open with menu.

The reg file proposed just sets NoOpenWith value which on one hand seems to prevent Windows to reset file associations to modern apps but also prevents me from selecting the app from the open with menu.

Rainer Meier, Dec 16, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

The workaround is probably opening the portable app first and then open the file from there.

badrobot, Dec 16, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    My take on Portable Apps is they don't actually install in Windows therefore they don't write to the Registry. That's the advantage as Portable Apps can be use on any Windows computer without messing them up. They are intended to run from USB Thumb drives which gives them the portability and as such will result in having to do things a bit different from simply clicking an icon.

Berton, Dec 17, 2015
  6. unko Win User
    Hmm so that's why it doesn't work too well, that's cause they can't write to registry.. Well I'd better stay on 7 then..!

7. badrobot Win User
    How difficult is it to do? Shouldn't be that hard. When you are looking for "workaround" it is not necessarily "easy".

badrobot, Dec 17, 2015
  8. unko Win User

Double clic file vs open the app then open menu to open file (cause drap & drop does not work on 10 for this situation)..!!

9. badrobot Win User
    But does the portable app work if you open the file from it instead of double clicking the file?

badrobot, Dec 17, 2015
  10. unko Win User
    Yes, but do you realise the time loss it represent? Perhaps you're slow in your computer usage.. I'm not!

11. badrobot Win User
    Relax. You are asking for help. I am just trying to help. My suggested workaround worked. A "Thank You" would be nice for my effort to help you instead of mocking my computer usage.

badrobot, Dec 17, 2015
  12. unko Win User
    I wasn't mocking.. I just tried to imagine why this could be a valid workaround for you. Thanks.

13. badrobot Win User

Because it works and that's the proper way of opening a file in the first place. Double click or "Open with" are just a more convenient way if they are supported by the system.
    You are welcome by the way.

badrobot, Dec 17, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    The OP could create a custom 'open with' context menu entry but then you would still get the annoying "how do you want to open this file" window!

Portable apps file association/open with//"Types.exe" app [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 17, 2015
  15. badrobot Win User
    I think it's the extra steps that he doesn't like. But that should also work.

badrobot, Dec 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Portable apps file association/open with//"Types.exe" app - Similar Threads - Portable apps file

2. Select An App To Open This .exe File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Select An App To Open This .exe File: Hi So Today I was going to play csgo and when i launched it from steam i got this error, Anyone Knows How To Fix It? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-an-app-to-open-this-exe-file/7412963b-bad4-4030-97a5-e2670ce98ec9
  3. Select An App To Open This .exe File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Select An App To Open This .exe File: Hi So Today I was going to play csgo and when i launched it from steam i got this error, Anyone Knows How To Fix It? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-an-app-to-open-this-exe-file/7412963b-bad4-4030-97a5-e2670ce98ec9
  4. .exe files and some apps wont open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    .exe files and some apps wont open: suddenly from yesterday some of my apps wont open .Spotify app is not opening, zoom and skype tooI tried uninstalling some recent apps that I had installed but uninstall was not working even control panel wasn't opening i opened safe mode and control panel and remove a...
  5. .exe files and some apps wont open

.exe files and some apps wont open: suddenly from yesterday some of my apps wont open .Spotify app is not opening, zoom and skype tooI tried uninstalling some recent apps that I had installed but uninstall was not working even control panel wasn't opening i opened safe mode and control panel and remove a...
  6. Windows search not finding exe files of portable apps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search not finding exe files of portable apps?: Hi, I'm used to starting most apps by hitting the Win button and starting typing the name of the app, which sends me to search results. This way I can quickly start even apps that don't have icons on the desktop or quick launch bar. It used to work for my portable apps too...
  7. File App Association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File App Association: There isn't a file option for .odm in default file association by app in settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-app-association/3e118cb5-61df-49e0-89ea-373fc0307092
  8. File type associated with App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File type associated with App: I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare occurred - I could not double click the selected file and open it with the App. Instead, I have to open the App first and...
  9. 'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...

in Windows 10 Customization
    'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...: I previously asked a similar question before realizing the scale of the problem. I am running Windows 10 Home on a Surface Go. That is, I have successfully disabled S mode. I cannot set a default app unless it is 'Microsoft recommended' for a file type or protocol. An...
  10. Associate/Open files with portable apps : still not possible?

Associate/Open files with portable apps : still not possible?: Hello, when i tried 10 (about 6months ago i'd say), what made me go back to 7 was that issue : It wasn't possible to associate (& therefore open) filetype with portables apps. Is that still the case? 57982