Windows 10: Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports

Discus and support Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 2 year old CIT cobra case and have always had varying issues with portable HDD's and USB pens being recognised don't have any issues with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by reddwarf4ever, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports

I have a 2 year old CIT cobra case and have always had varying issues with portable HDD's and USB pens being recognised don't have any issues with the rear USB ports...one USB pen actually changed its contents partly to what was on it before I formatted it....

I am reluctant to accept that it may be a hardware fault, but beginning to think it must be.

I don't know if CIT cases are well made, or if this is unusual.

I am looking at replacing the case, possibly with a ZALMAN Z11 Plus Midi Tower Computer Case, particularly as it has room for 5 internal HDD's, which I need..

wonder if I have any other options and am I going the right route

thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Aug 7, 2016
  2. chad4799 Win User

Toshiba Canvio Basics HDD

The drive is not recognised in any of usb ports, on this and another computer. All ports work with Iomeger portable drive. Thank you for your reply.

chad4799, Aug 7, 2016
  3. PhilPugh Win User
    Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

Vanessa,

I have just 'discovered' this problem with three USB HDDs (different manufacturers). Non are recognised by W10. I am running 14393.187. I have tried all three of your suggestions for fixing the issue without success.

USB pen drives are recognised and work.

For the USB HDDs the system 'recognises' them but fails to allocate a drive letter.

Taking an HP 500Mb drive for example...

Disk Management shows two partitions on the drive - totalling 500Mb. It is labelled 'Disk 6' but no drive letter. The system has in-built card reader that takes up drives 1 - 5 with letters E:, F:, G:, H: and I: allocated permanently.
    A USB pen drive is allocated J: without a USB HDD attached
    but is allocated K: when a USB HDD is attached. System disk is SSD.

The only options offered for either of the partitions is to delete them - not one I wish to choose!

Phil

PhilPugh, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports

If I'm following you correctly. Your front USB ports are not working, but the rear USB posts do work.

The rear USB ports are directly connected to the Main Circuit Board, but the front USB ports have a wire running from the case to the MCB. Try unplugging the connection on the MCB which runs to the front USB ports. Then, plug it back in. There may be a bad connection on the MCB.

Also, check in Device Manager for issues with the USB Controllers.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 7, 2016
Thema:

Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports

1. Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports - Similar Threads - Portable HDD pens

2. USB ports not recognising anything but work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB ports not recognising anything but work: My double usb port on my HP Pavillion 15 isn't recognising any device i plug in but i am able to charge ok from them, i have removed all the serial bus drivers etc and disabled/enabled but nothing seems to be workingHelp me please anyone Kevin...
  3. USB port not recognising devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port not recognising devices: Hi, I've tried to use my single USB-3 port on my laptop ASUS Zenbook and noticed that the laptop isn't recognising anything being in the port. No sounds or notifications and nothing comes up in file explorer. I've tried multiple USBs in it, including a mouse, and none work so...
  4. USB port not recognising devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port not recognising devices: Hi, I've tried to use my single USB-3 port on my laptop ASUS Zenbook and noticed that the laptop isn't recognising anything being in the port. No sounds or notifications and nothing comes up in file explorer. I've tried multiple USBs in it, including a mouse, and none work so...
  5. USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised

USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised: My pen drive was working properly last year but now its not recgnised. It's a 32gb 3.0 usb pen drive. it is working 100% and how do i know that? If i plug it in to my lenovo legion laptop with windows 10 on it, it doesnt work, if i plug it in in my good old acer with a...
  6. USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised: My pen drive was working properly last year but now its not recgnised. It's a 32gb 3.0 usb pen drive. it is working 100% and how do i know that? If i plug it in to my lenovo legion laptop with windows 10 on it, it doesnt work, if i plug it in in my good old acer with a...
  7. USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Portable USB device not recognised after a USB-C port power surge

Portable USB device not recognised after a USB-C port power surge: I had my USB portable hard-drive ED Elements 4 TB plugged into my Dell XPS 13 via a USB-C to USB port hub. I then plugged in my phone cable. I got an error message, something along the lines of 'there is a power surge in your USB port. One of the plugged-in devices is drawing...
  9. Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10

Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10: I am having a lot of trouble with a Toshiba 2TB portable HDD on Windows 10. Sometimes it is recognised by Explorer, sometimes it isn't, and I can't discern a pattern. The drive works in every other device I have, and when it doesn't work, it is not seen using any of the USB...
  10. Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10: I am having a lot of trouble with a Toshiba 2TB portable HDD on Windows 10. Sometimes it is recognised by Explorer, sometimes it isn't, and I can't discern a pattern. The drive works in every other device I have, and when it doesn't work, it is not seen using any of the USB...