Windows 10: Portable HDD not recognized

Discus and support Portable HDD not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 WD portable HDD's that are not recognized by W10. I plug them into an external Tripp-Lite USB 3.0 that I added as my PC is old and only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rocks911, Mar 11, 2017.

1. rocks911 Win User

Portable HDD not recognized

I have 2 WD portable HDD's that are not recognized by W10.

I plug them into an external Tripp-Lite USB 3.0 that I added as my PC is old and only has USB 2.0

I have never had an issue like this. I used both of these 2Tb portable HDD's for a couple years with zero problems. Since I upgraded to W10 I cannot plug either of these into the 3.0 USB port and have them recognized. I just plugged a thumb drive into the port and there was no problems.

Even rebooting doesnt help. I get a popup in the lower right corner of my PC indicating that "the last attempt at reading a USB drive failed (or some such) if this continues you might need to replace the unit. The units work fine with other Windows machines, just not mine since I upgraded to W10

Help!

:)

rocks911, Mar 11, 2017

2. Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

I recently partitioned a 1 T hard drive on a new PC and now Windows 10 won't recognize a new 2 T Seagate portable hard drive that it recognized before. Is the partition the problem? Is there a way to make W 10 recognize the portable?

Windows 10 and a portable hard drive- Original Title

CurtisKruer, Mar 11, 2017
  3. Portable CD PLAYER not recognized

Original Title: Portable CD PLAYER

Notebook won't recognize portable cd player

ThomasJuza, Mar 11, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Portable HDD not recognized - Similar Threads - Portable HDD recognized

2. Lenovo F309 Portable HDD not detecting.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lenovo F309 Portable HDD not detecting.: I bought a Lenovo F309 Portable HDD to backup files when I was clean installing windows 10 from 8.1. It was bought 2 or 3 years ago. After I upgraded to windows 10 it worked but one day it wasn't detecting. When I connected it, the light on it used to stay on but now it keeps...
  3. Lenovo F309 Portable HDD not detecting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo F309 Portable HDD not detecting.: I bought a Lenovo F309 Portable HDD to backup files when I was clean installing windows 10 from 8.1. It was bought 2 or 3 years ago. After I upgraded to windows 10 it worked but one day it wasn't detecting. When I connected it, the light on it used to stay on but now it keeps...
  4. Lenovo F309 Portable HDD not detecting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Portable HDD won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Portable HDD won't open: Not sure if I selected the correct Topic for this. If not, move and advise.I'm using an HP desktop, i7, 10GB mem, 2TB hdd.I also have a Buffalo portable HD, P-ZU3 2tb and a smaller HD.When I plug the portable HD into my desktop, it won't open. I has a yellow light on.When I...
  6. Portable HDD won't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable HDD won't open: Not sure if I selected the correct Topic for this. If not, move and advise.I'm using an HP desktop, i7, 10GB mem, 2TB hdd.I also have a Buffalo portable HD, P-ZU3 2tb and a smaller HD.When I plug the portable HD into my desktop, it won't open. I has a yellow light on.When I...
  7. Portable HDD won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10

Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10: I am having a lot of trouble with a Toshiba 2TB portable HDD on Windows 10. Sometimes it is recognised by Explorer, sometimes it isn't, and I can't discern a pattern. The drive works in every other device I have, and when it doesn't work, it is not seen using any of the USB...
  9. Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10: I am having a lot of trouble with a Toshiba 2TB portable HDD on Windows 10. Sometimes it is recognised by Explorer, sometimes it isn't, and I can't discern a pattern. The drive works in every other device I have, and when it doesn't work, it is not seen using any of the USB...
  10. HDD not recognized

HDD not recognized: I have a device that allows exploring HDDs via a UHB hookup. I have several HDDs and have been able to view contents with a device purchased from Cables-to-Go. I don't think that I've used it subsequent to Win 10. Now when I use it it the drives hooked aren't recognized. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to get windopws 10 to recognise a portabler hdd