Windows 10: Possible corruption - VPN related?

Discus and support Possible corruption - VPN related? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Some backstory - I purchased a new laptop at the end of April. After about two or so months, it became corrupted...tiles not working, no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AWC, Sep 8, 2017.

1. AWC
    AWC Win User

Possible corruption - VPN related?

Some backstory - I purchased a new laptop at the end of April. After about two or so months, it became corrupted...tiles not working, no Microsoft/Windows programs would load, and so on. I had the OS reinstalled but I was never able to find out the cause of the corruption. I just assumed it was some sort of update issue (which had happened in a similar way on my previous laptop) and figured it was settled for good.

Flash forward to Wednesday. I was having some issues with my VPN (Private Internet Access) - it was having difficulty in connecting to the server for whatever reason. I switched servers and figured that was the end of it. However, when I shut down at the end of the night a task host window was preventing me from automatically shutting down. I cancelled the shutdown, poked around for a bit to see what was going on...and lo and behold, I was party to the same problems from the last corruption. I've run the sfc scan (claimed to not find any integrity violations) and DISM (gets stuck at 88.2%, which I'm pretty sure it did the last time my OS got corrupted too).

The issues I'm having are the same as the ones I've had before. Microsoft/Windows apps aren't working, the tiles aren't working, I can't check for updates (which seems a waste considering it apparently last checked for updates at around 5:30-ish the day things started going downhill), TeamViewer has issues connecting, and my VPN's on the fritz - I can connect but when I'm connected I have no internet access and can only achieve a connection when I disable it.

So, I'm basically stumped here. I realize the endgame is likely to reinstall Windows 10 and while that shouldn't be an issue, I want to find out just what's going on. My theory is that the VPN is somehow involved (God only knows how) because that seems to be the common denominator...but I don't even know that for certain and I wouldn't know the first thing about finding that out. Even then, that's just a shot-in-the-dark theory...in both corruption instances my VPN had been installed for about 1-2 months each time and it makes virtually zero sense that I can think of that it would just start messing with things out of the blue like that. It's really the only thing off the top of my head that I can think of. I don't want to uninstall/reinstall the VPN - that didn't solve anything the prior time and I want to keep it going as "evidence" in case I can't solve this and have to hand it off for repairs.

Thanks for whatever help can be provided. This is probably a bit rambling, and I suppose I apologize for that. I'll be glad to fill in whatever other relevant info is needed.

Windows 10 Home Version 1703 64-bit

:)

2. BSOD (driver power state failure) Win10 build 1709

Something related to the network driver, most probably WiFi. I notice that you are using VPN too.

Two possibilities:

1. VPN is causing crash

2. Corrupt WiFi driver.

Can you uninstall VPN and temporarily and see if the issue persists. I think #1 is the reason most probably.

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 8, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    WINDOWS PHONE 8 AND VPN.

It is possible to make VPN apps for WP8.1 though. I would assume that the usual VPN vendors will make VPN apps once WP8.1 is released.

Entegy, Sep 8, 2017
  4. Possible corruption - VPN related?

One thing you can try is:

Open a admin command prompt and type: chkdsk C: /scan

This will do an online scan of the OS drive. It wont repair anything, but will tell you if there is corruption of the filesystem and if there are files in bad parts of the drive (if there are any).

If it comes back with errors, run chkdsk C: /F /R. It will ask you to schedule the scan for the next restart. Say yes, then reboot and let it scan and repair.

Do you have any antivirus installed? If so, have you run any scans with it? If not, download Malwarebytes and run a scan with that. After that, try SuperAntiSpyware. See if either one comes up with any results.

ArazelEternal, Sep 8, 2017
  5. AWC
    AWC Win User
    I ran chkdsk C: /scan and it came up with no problems.

After that I ran a Windows Defender scan - same thing, no problems. Then I ran Malwarebytes, where it detected something called 'HackTool.AutoKMS'. Apparently that's something that might come up as a false positive? Whatever it is I removed it. Then after that I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware but for whatever reason it completely seized Firefox up when I tried to open the file. That was an interesting twist....

6. Try opening SuperAntiSpyware outside of Firefox. Ive had FF lock up on random files before without explanation.

About the HackTool.AutoKMS, where did you get this computer? Did it come with Windows 10, or was it installed later? If it was installed later, what OS did it come with?

I ask this because AutoKMS is often a part of KMSPico which is used to pirate Windows and Microsoft Office products.

ArazelEternal, Sep 9, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
  8. AWC
    AWC Win User

I got the laptop from a local place...guy who runs it out of his home, always judged him as reputable. It was new and came with Windows 10.

9. I have to wonder about this "new." Either way, I am willing to bet that this is not a legitimate copy of Windows 10. The only reason that AutoKMS would be on there would be to patch Windows to use it for free. As per forum rules, we cant help you when you are using illegitimate software. Not only is it wrong, but it can make diagnosis almost impossible as we have no idea what has or hasnt been changed.

ArazelEternal, Sep 9, 2017
  10. simrick Win User
    Agreed.

simrick, Sep 9, 2017
  11. dencal Win User
    Try the following.....open Malwarebytes....click on Settings....then Malware Exclusions....click on Add File, then type path ie- drive etc.
    Now scan with Malwarebytes....to see if rectified.

One other thing you could try.....open Powershell (Admin) and copy paste the following....then press enter.

netsh winsock reset

dencal, Sep 9, 2017
  12. AWC
    AWC Win User
    I suppose that's fair.

It's interesting, to say the least...I'd been given no impression whatsoever (not that I'd know straightaway) that this might be an illegitimate version of Windows. It's not something I'd pirate anyway, if I'm going to grab an OS I'm going to go for the official version for obvious reasons.

13. Porthos Win User

AutoKMS can also be used for the same purpose for MS Office. Still not good.

Porthos, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Possible corruption - VPN related? - Similar Threads - Possible corruption VPN

2. Possibly corrupt files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possibly corrupt files: I recently tried to run an Adobe application on my Win 11 machine. I have a full version of Win 11. The app would not open so I contacted tech support and after an hour+ of troubleshooting they determined that the problem is that my system has 2 corrupt files: msvcr100.dll...
  3. Possibly corrupt files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possibly corrupt files: I recently tried to run an Adobe application on my Win 11 machine. I have a full version of Win 11. The app would not open so I contacted tech support and after an hour+ of troubleshooting they determined that the problem is that my system has 2 corrupt files: msvcr100.dll...
  4. VPN Question - 2 concurrent (different VPN) connections possible ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VPN Question - 2 concurrent (different VPN) connections possible ?: Hi there Any Network Gurus out there know if it's possible to have 2 concurrent VPN connections E.g If using a local VPN (IS) can I connect with another connection such as VPN (UK) --- currently it doesn't work even when using a Virtual Machine -- seems I need 2 computers...
  5. BSoDs Possibly Tablet Related?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoDs Possibly Tablet Related?: Hi, so I keep on getting frequent different errored blue screens and I think it may have something to do with my tablet driver. Although they used to happen almost 5+ times a day before, a quick system reinstall fixed it. They now only seem to reliably happen when I'm using...
  6. Is it possible for a WiFi network to block a VPN?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible for a WiFi network to block a VPN?: I'm trying to connect my VPN at school so I can listen to Spotify, but I can't connect it. I'm using XVPN on a Dell Inspiron. submitted by /u/Denver_Stylee [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fcwx86/is_it_possible_for_a_wifi_network_to_block_a_vpn/
  7. Offline profile over VPN possible?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Offline profile over VPN possible?: I have a user that has site to site VPN at home to access network drives. They also have folder redirection set up in their environment along with Offline files set up. When the user is connected on via VPN, they experience sluggish performance while doing simple tasks...
  8. possible registry corruption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    possible registry corruption: Hi, so today I installed a trial version of Vegas video editing software. I tried it out and, it wasn't what I was expecting so I immediately uninstalled it. After uninstalling it I saw all the files still in my C drive so I went and did a system restore. Unfortunately it got...
  9. BSOD - Possibly hardware related?

BSOD - Possibly hardware related?: Hi all, I have an MSi GT70 20C Laptop that I've had numerous problems with. When I first ordered this laptop it was dead on arrival, and had to be shipped back for fixing. Since i've gotten it back, I have had BSODs ranging from 0-2 times a week up to 6 times in a...
  10. BSOD with VPN - possibly related to network drivers

BSOD with VPN - possibly related to network drivers: Hi, I am experiencing BSOD on the University network-eduroam, which have not happened before. It happens few minutes after I am connected to my Okayfreedom VPN, but I do not have this problem at home with my wifi which is strange. There is no problems without the VPN...