Windows 10: Possible CPU Overheat... or something

Discus and support Possible CPU Overheat... or something in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I was playing a game all of the sudden it crashed, my monitor went to sleep and I hear a fan inside my computer starting to blow like crazy. Since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jakoporeeno, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Possible CPU Overheat... or something

When I was playing a game all of the sudden it crashed, my monitor went to sleep and I hear a fan inside my computer starting to blow like crazy. Since nothing else seems to happen I turned off the computer by holding the on/off-switch. This has happen with three graphicly demanding games (My setup met the system specs still) and one time after I turned the computer off and on again I get this screen: DSC 0047 I can no longer play games with maxed out settings and have to lower them in order to not have the game crash on me.
    I've had this problem for a couple of weeks now. I have also just had to get a new graphics card graphics card very recently because my old one crashed (before I noticed this issue). My PC was built in the summer of 2014. This has never happened before. I've tried cleaning the insides of my computer twice with a can of compressed air but it didn't do much. I don't know what has happened lately that have created this annoyance.
    Here's how much memory and CPU my game can take up: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet.
    My SSD is SSD 120GB Samsung 840 EVO, Basic. My CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670k CPU 3.40GHZ. My motherboard is an MK ASUS Z87-A ATX Z87, 1150. I've got A-Data 8 GB RAM DDR3 1600Mhz/CL9/XPG and my graphics card is GeForce GTX 780 (same as the one before). All this on a Windows 10.

:)

Jakoporeeno, Aug 3, 2017

2. Windows 10 taskbar issue.

Yes I can program Coretemp to shut down the PC if the CPU overheats. Coretemp is for the CPU and not GPU.

We got mixed up there.

Im using GPU Meter and EVGA Precision to monitor the VIDEO CARD temps.

I am not overheating and the PC is not shutting down, EVGA Preicsion software is being shut off and then I overheat on the GPU but PC never shuts down.

As for the PSU Im running a 750 watt 80 plus gold rated Corsair modular PSU. More than adequate.

I just want to stop windows from shutting down programs that are being used after the PC has been running for 3 straight days.

I feel like we are getting things confused here.

1. PC DOES NOT OVERHEAT or SHUT DOWN.

2. GPU DOES NOT overheat or shut down.

3.EVGA PRECISION SHUTs DOWN after windows 10 has run for 3 days, not from overheating, only overheats because the software is being turned off.

4. DOES this WHILE playing games or anything else.

5.Something within windows 10 is causing this to happen. I just cant figure out what it is that is doing this.

markrogers75, Aug 3, 2017
  3. Gaming Problem

Hi Seema,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

This is may be your GPU is overheating. When the GPU overheats the PC shuts itself down to protect the GPU from burning.

I suggest you to check the CPU usage of the system.

If possible, I recommend you to post the screenshots for better assistance.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Aug 3, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Possible CPU Overheat... or something

Try a GPU test program (Furmark) to see if it will trigger the problem. There is a utility called GPU-z built into Furmark which lets you monitor the system via the sensors tab. Keep an eye on it during the run and post a screenshot of it.

Possible CPU Overheat... or something [​IMG]
    Diagnostic test
    GPU TEST

Run Furmark tutorial

Note Run Furmark for around 30 minutes

Warning Your GPU temperatures will rise quickly while Furmark is running. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if temperatures rise too high

philc43, Aug 3, 2017
  5. Dude Win User
    I would monitor the CPU temps too. What cooling are you using, and have you reapplied thermal paste?

Dude, Aug 3, 2017
  6. Possible CPU Overheat... or something [​IMG]
    Warning Your GPU temperatures will rise quickly while Furmark is running. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if temperatures rise too high [/QUOTE]

If I may ask, how high temperature is too high? When should I abort the test? I don't want experience artifacts on my screen and buy a new graphics card

Jakoporeeno, Aug 4, 2017
  7. philc43 Win User
    If it starts to go above 80C I would be concerned, do not let it go above 85C. Actual tolerances can vary, see if there are any recommendations for your GPU.

philc43, Aug 4, 2017
  8. Helmut Win User

Your CPU is overheating, you will definitely need to do something.

That will involve taking off the heatsink and cleaning the surfaces and re-applying thermal paste.

You can't of course see what's going on there, but it is the primary point of contact for heat dissipation. literally for the CPU and of course the GPU. You are unlikely to know what did/has happened.

Obviously you can confirm that with some application which shows CPU max temperatures under load. You would be looking to lower than say ~80°C with Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs.
    I use CPUID HWMonitor for this, there are plenty of others doing the same job.

You may as well check on the GPU at the same time.

Helmut, Aug 4, 2017
  9. Jakoporeeno, Aug 5, 2017
  10. Dude Win User
    What about your CPU??????

11. I did the CPU Burner for about 10 minutes and my CPU went up to 82° C without crashing. Does that answer your question?

Jakoporeeno, Aug 5, 2017
  12. Polo6RGTI Win User
    Hi,

Can you please post a photo of your PC case from left side and one photo with the side cover off? It will give us a better understanding of the overheating.

Polo6RGTI, Aug 5, 2017
  13. Possible CPU Overheat... or something

Jakoporeeno, Aug 6, 2017
  14. I tried with thermal paste today and it didn't help.

Jakoporeeno, Aug 6, 2017
  15. Polo6RGTI Win User
    Polo6RGTI, Aug 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Possible CPU Overheat... or something - Similar Threads - Possible CPU Overheat

2. PC Random Restart - NO BSOD - No Overheat _ No MAX CPU or MAX Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Random Restart - NO BSOD - No Overheat _ No MAX CPU or MAX Memory: Hello All,I am hoping you can assist with something that has been plaguing me for the last few weeks.I have a Laptop see specs below that keeps rebooting, seemingly at random with no BSOD. I have it set to not automatically reboot, so that I should be getting a crash warning...
  3. PC Random Restart - NO BSOD - No Overheat _ No MAX CPU or MAX Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Random Restart - NO BSOD - No Overheat _ No MAX CPU or MAX Memory: Hello All,I am hoping you can assist with something that has been plaguing me for the last few weeks.I have a Laptop see specs below that keeps rebooting, seemingly at random with no BSOD. I have it set to not automatically reboot, so that I should be getting a crash warning...
  4. Laptop fan/overheat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop fan/overheat: I use my laptop a lot and I only use chrome tabs, nothing else, I try to close every background app that is running. Doesent work. My laptop specs are...Processor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz Installed RAM 12.0 GB 11.7 GB usable Graphics Intel iRIS...
  5. Windows 10 202H Update - CPU Overheat & PowerLimit Changed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 202H Update - CPU Overheat & PowerLimit Changed: Hello,After "Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2" Update my laptop suffered a power limit drop and cpu temperature rise.A couple of months ago my Cinebench Scores was over 3000 points. But after the update I can't get over 2700 with the same setup. I believe there are...
  6. CPU overheats when plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU overheats when plugged in: And the difference is pretty stark. CPU goes 70C at most, but bypasses 95C when plugged in. Tested with Skyrim. Windows 10 doesn't seem to have the option to limit CPU speed. Can someone help me with this?...
  7. Bad CPU or Something Else???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad CPU or Something Else???: Hi all, I am having this issue with an old PC that I was trying to resurrect as an "Internet Browsing/Youtube" computer for our house guest and the specs of the PC is Intel Core 2 X6800 + Asus P5Q (Latest BIOS 2209) + 8GB RAM + 240GB SSD. Installed Windows 10 Pro (1909)...
  8. CPU Voltages: Is there something odd in this...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Voltages: Is there something odd in this...: Is there something odd here? Voltage CPU CORE 1.072 V MEMORY CONTROLLER 3.008 V +5V 5.027 V +12V 4.480 V -12V -8.576 V -5V -8.576 V +5V HIGH THRESHOLD 4.973 V CMOS BATTERY 3.232 V Some of the right hand figures differ substantially from those on the left. Do they tell...
  9. 44% CPU usage, lowered frequency, no overheat

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    44% CPU usage, lowered frequency, no overheat: I need some help desperately. Attached screenshot tells everything, but here is some explanation: my computer is running very slow, HWmonitor says CPU frequency is 809MHz and 100% usage, built-in Task Manager says 44% usage, temperature is maxed at 64°C. Max CPU frequency is...
  10. Overheat

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Overheat: I am almost the proud owner on an HP 24g-018 "All in One' PC. I am streaming TV thru it for 8+ hours a day. It at times overheats and shuts down and then it is an absolute P-I-T-A (pain the back pockets) to get started again even after leaving it shutdown for six or more...