Windows 10: Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files.

Discus and support Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The File Explorer fails to render some Olympus RAW (.ORF) image files. Oly has at least two versions of their .ORF RAW files. File Explorer only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Thonord, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Thonord Win User

Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files.

The File Explorer fails to render some Olympus RAW (.ORF) image files.

Oly has at least two versions of their .ORF RAW files.

File Explorer only recognizes the "old" version. E-300 - E-500 cameras.
    From E-30 there is a second version (compressed). This second version is not rendered as an image in File Explorer, however it is rendered as an image in the Photos App. The "old" version is also rendered in Photos.

I'm guessing, but you may be using two different versions of the Oly RAW image Codec. Only the latest supports both RAW formats.

Or, perhaps the "Microsoft Camera codec pack" needs updating.

I'll be happy to provide samples of the two different .ORF Raw files - if required.

Tom

:)

Thonord, Aug 12, 2015

2. Lower quality of RAW photos processing after Windows 10 upgrade

A Short Description of the Problem:

I am not able to achieve quality of RAW photos processing in Windows 10 as I had before (in Win XP and Win 8.x). Problem is probably caused by Microsoft RAW codec, which cannot be in Windows 10 bypassed (MS codec "steals" the control
    from my preferred and installed codecs from camera maker). Then – MS codec produces poor results in RAW to JPG conversion.

Is there any way how to gain back a control in favour of the camera maker codec (when processing RAWs)?

Situation:

I have Olympus C5060 WZ camera
    and I shoot photos in RAW format (.ORF). I use Zoner Photo Studio 13 and sometimes
    Olympus Viewer 3 as my photo processing/viewing/organizing tools.

To ensure high quality when viewing RAW files, as well as direct conversion from RAW to JPG, system conversion
    codec from Olympus shall be installed: OLYMPUS Digital Camera : OLYMPUS RAW codec (1)

With this Olympus codec installed, I was able (on Win XP and 8.x) directly view my RAW photos in high quality within my preferred photo processing software Zoner. I can also simply save RAW photos to JPG format in Zoner and this way perform (easy and good quality)
    format conversion.

Alternative RAW processing include conversion via Adobe DNG converter:

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows
    (2)

or via Olympus Viewer photo editing software:

Téléchargement du logiciel | OLYMPUS Viewer 3 | OLYMPUS (3)

Olympus system codec (1) is not needed in the case of Adobe DNG and Olympus Viewer, as they have its internal codecs.

A Full Story and the Background:

Photo processing with Zoner supported by Olympus codec (1) has worked perfectly under Windows XP and Windows 8.0.

First time I've got troubles after the upgrade to Win 8.1 from Win 8.0 (x64, CZ)... Suddenly, soon after the upgrade,
    direct RAW to JPG conversion and direct viewing of RAW files started to produce lower quality results. Photos were less sharp, overexposed and covered by a haze, colours were dimmed.

After some annoying experiments and trial-error approach I found that the
    cause of all that troubles and direct RAW conversion quality degradation was Microsoft Camera Codec Pack, which arrived as a part of automatic system updates (patch KB2859675 and KB2899189).

https://www.microsoft.com/cs-cz/download/details.aspx?id=26829

I have to admit - my camera Olympus C5060 WZ is not listed as supported by this codec pack. Only its direct product line ancestors C7070 and C8080 are.

I solved the problem in Win 8.1 by removing (uninstalling) that patches with Microsoft Camera Codec and by disabling its future re-installation. So far so good (except the time I wasted with experiments after Win 8.1 upgrade...).

After the Windows 10 (x64 CZ) installation the same kind of troubles started immediately again. Same type of RAW conversion degradation was back. And
    this time I cannot fix it by disabling some update patch. It seems to me, this damn Microsoft codec is now an integral part of the Windows 10 system and cannot be uninstalled!

Is there any way how to bypass a default and built-in RAW processing with Microsoft codec and give the control to the installed third party codec (from Olympus)? Some patch or a registry tweak? Or can I hope in Microsoft
    codec update?
    Just a joke – no real hope at all...

Attachment - the Test Files:

Download of sample photo files in zip file (130 MB) to see the different
    quality of the processing – the test case include two different sample photo sets.

a) Originals

Both photos were made using an exposure bracketing (three snapshots with a different exposure), RAW originals of the first photo are saved in the set of 3 files:
    P8081178-80.orf; the originals of the second photo are in
    P8091232-34.orf

b) Microsoft codec

Win10-MS-codec-*.jpg are photos converted from originals on Windows 10 system using Microsoft codec (the worst conversion quality in the test case). This is how photos are displayed in Zoner and what I get after
    saving RAW photo into JPG format in Zoner under Win 10.

c) Adobe DNG conversion with Adobe codec

Win10-Adobe-DNG-*.dng, respectively
    WinXP-Adobe-DNG-*.dng are photos converted into DNG format using Adobe DNG convert utility on Window 10 or XP respectively. Files for XP and Win10 are not identical, but visually - the quality is the same. Better quality than with MS codec
    achieved, but still not perfect. I can get result with the same quality when using "Develop from RAW/Get from DNG function in Zoner (Zoner internally uses Adobe DNG converter for DNG conversions).

d) Olympus system codec

WinXP-OLY-codec-*.jpg are photos converted directly by opening RAW file in Zoner and saving it as JPG on Win XP with functional native Olympus codec - which was used in this case. Native Olympus system codec works
    on Win XP and Win 8.X systems, but doesn't work on Win 10.

e) Built-in Olympus codec within Olympus Viewer

WinXP-OLY-viewer-*.jpg, resp.
    Win10-OLY-viewer-*.jpg
    are photos converted directly by opening RAW file in Olympus Viewer editing software and saving it as JPG. Native codec built-in Olympus Viewer was used in this case. Olympus Viewer works the same way in Win XP, 8.X and 10.

Comments:

* Microsoft codec (case b) produces lowest quality of conversion (blurry photo with masked details on textures, exposure and colour shift, hazy picture)

* Microsoft codec (case b) produces almost equal exposure level in the related test samples, however photos were made with different exposure setting (sic! - what a kind of magic! How can MS codec know which exposure is the correct one?)

* Adobe DNG conversion (case c) produces mid-range quality of the conversion (correct exposure, slightly less sharp photos)

* Adobe DNG conversion (case c) on Win 10 and XP systems provides visually equal results

* Olympus codecs (case d, e) produces best quality of the conversion

* Olympus system codecs (case d) on Win 10 and XP systems provides visually equal results

* Results from system (case d) and Olympus Viewer built in (case e) codecs provides visually equal results

Tomáš K. CZ, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Can't view .dng files in Onedrive

That maybe so, but how come I cans see my RAW files from my Olympus and Canon cameras fine but can't see the ones from my Microsoft made phone??

BoGrünberger, Aug 12, 2015
Thema:

Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files.

1. Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files. - Similar Threads - Possible error rendering

2. Raw read error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raw read error: Hiwhat is raw read error rate?Does my hdd raw read error rate is high?is it failing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raw-read-error/3ae7e054-01e3-49ef-84ff-6b40239dd5b0
  3. Indexing RAW images, is it possible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing RAW images, is it possible: Hi there,I am trying to find a way to index RAW images, I mean to allow the Indexing Service to scan and index the Exif information of these image files. The Windows Explorer is able to retrieve and display it, see attached screen capture, the two last columns "Camera Maker"...
  4. Indexing RAW images, is it possible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing RAW images, is it possible: Hi there,I am trying to find a way to index RAW images, I mean to allow the Indexing Service to scan and index the Exif information of these image files. The Windows Explorer is able to retrieve and display it, see attached screen capture, the two last columns "Camera Maker"...
  5. File RAW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File RAW: Mi si dice che nel PC c'è una raccolta di file RAW, ma io finora non l'ho trovata. Chi mi sa dire qualcosa? Grazie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-raw/e1b498f5-d80e-460e-8834-c5de98fb08a3
  6. File Explorer not rendering

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer not rendering: Hello all, On my Windows 10 PC, I am trying to open some files. So what I do, as most people would, is open File Explorer. But when I try to open file explorer, it opens but doesn't render. Can you please figure out what is happening? I also checked the checksum of...
  7. audio renderer errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    audio renderer errors: I keep getting an audio renderer error so I have to reboot my machine. I updated the drives but the issue is still here. My system is Yoga 920 -131KB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-renderer-errors/f113e37f-0d82-4eb3-ba20-324f0c97d40b
  8. Olympus voice recorder

Olympus voice recorder: How do I get my laptop to recognize my voice recorder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/olympus-voice-recorder/e49d88d1-dcfc-4b62-8e0d-fe0db75c0cc8
  9. Viewing Olympus Raw photo files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Viewing Olympus Raw photo files: I am running windows 10 home, version 1803 and can't view my raw photos in Photo. I have tried to download the the codec but one doesn't appear to exist for W10. I want to be able to open my raw photos without going to my olympus view. How can this be done. This has been...
  10. RAW Photo files

RAW Photo files: Just recently upgraded a PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This PC will be used strictly for photo processing mostly using Lightroom and Photoshop. Neither Photos or Windows Photo Viewer will open the RAW files on this particular PC. I have three other PC's that have been...