Windows 10: Possible Lost Packets.

Discus and support Possible Lost Packets. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello All, So down to the point, For around 2 years ago we used Sky internet(UK Fibre Company) Had a lot of issues specifically where whilst... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Devlin1888, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Possible Lost Packets.

Hello All,

So down to the point, For around 2 years ago we used Sky internet(UK Fibre Company) Had a lot of issues specifically where whilst playing cs go, My ping would sit around 40 on average and spike up to 200+ every 6-7 seconds rendering it unplayable. I changed something in the router settings at the time and i managed to solve the issue. Now, We have moved to BT Fibre, We get around 45mb/s download and about 10mb/s upload. Ping on the speedtest sits around 20. Im having the same issue again as i had when we first got sky internet but i cannot for the life of me remember how i solved the issue in the first place. Been in all the router settings etc and nothings really done much, Also changed some In game settings to try and see if that would help.

Running wireless simply due to wired not being an option at all.
    Have noticed some lag in other games such as on Xbox etc as well.
    Any info i need to post just let me know and il get on it, Networking really isn't my strong suit.

Thanks,
    Michael

:)

Devlin1888, Dec 20, 2017
  2. njjal Win User

Netsh event tracing packet capture shows packets; application not getting them

I have many similar Windows 10 machines running a similar set of applications. A number of applications are multicast UDP listeners. They each have massive socket buffers (they could hold 10 sec+
    of data). Occasionally, many of the applications on a given machine will report loss around the same time.

When I run an ETL packet capture, the packets that are missing in the application are present in the capture that is running on that same receiving machine. The packets in the capture have the correct checksums
    and the correct MAC addresses. Other applications on *other* machines may receive those exact packets, but may drop other packets.

The source sent a retransmission which was received by the application. Comparing the hex dumps in Wireshark, the only differences included the IP identification, the IP checksum, UDP checksum, and the retransmission
    bit set in the app-level portion of the message. The latter three are certainly correct, though I can't speak for the IP.Identification (other than it increasing from its previous value and knowing that other consumers handled it properly).

The machine's Windows performance monitor capture shows nothing classically unusual (it shows low CPU usage, low memory usage, no NIC discards/errors, no Winsock BSP drops).

The firewall is disabled. There is no internet connection--just LAN intranet. There are some other apps running on the machine including TCP and unicast UDP listeners.

The packet loss is intermittent, and a very small fraction of packets get lost but can amount to a million over the day. UDP is naturally unreliable. But the question is where and why do these packets get
    dropped.

Assuming the ETL capture is at the NIC driver, this leave the NIC driver, the OS, the socket, and the application. I strongly believe the loss is before the socket.

How can I identify where the packets are being lost? How can I find the location of the drop and learn what the limit that I'm exceeding is? How can I narrow the scope of possible issues? Is there a shared
    OS buffer for all sockets that does not have a loss counter?

Thanks. Any tips would be appreciated.

njjal, Dec 20, 2017
  3. I have packet loss (100%) On me PC (Onli in this pc in me other device is all good)

Hi Moises,

It seem you are still having issues is 100% packet lost and no internet access. I have checked the IP address you did the ping test on (10.77.251.112). and it also gave the same 100% packet lost result. For use to resolve this concern, kindly answer the
    questions below:

• Are you able to browse any websites at all?
    • Is there a specific website that you are not able to go to?
    • Were there any error message when you attempt to browse the internet?

We look forward to your response.

Jordan Dom, Dec 20, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Possible Lost Packets.

Hi Michael.
    Does you router have QoS settings? Turning QoS "on" will slightly slow down connections, but make them much more stable.

simrick, Dec 20, 2017
  5. Unfortunately it doesnt appear to which is a bummer

Devlin1888, Dec 20, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    You will be pleased to know that you are still using the same internet as you used to (the network backbone for Sky and BT is maintained by BT Openreach - the supposedly independent company), this means that the same tweak should work as before.

The one thing I have seen suggested for games, which may be what you did before is tho adjust the MTU, (maximum transmission unit), This is often set to the maximum of 1500 which can cause latency in the system, I have mine set to 1480 using EE Fibre - Also Openreach backbone and I get a ping of 15-17 so may be something to try. Reducing by 10 and trying for a day or two is recommended, although the Windows Standard was always said to be 1480 so you could just try that then fine tune

I have no idea how you would adjust this on your new router but my TP-Link C7 has it in the advanced Network settings, (I never use an ISP Router) but there is no guarantee that BT will give you access to some settings but this is a basic setting so should be

Barman58, Dec 20, 2017
  7. Barman58 Win User
    A quick check on Recommended BT MTU value suggests that It used to be a rather low 1458 but cannot find any recent figures

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Possible Lost Packets.

1. Possible Lost Packets. - Similar Threads - Possible Lost Packets

2. Windows 10 lost packets

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 lost packets: HelloI have been having a problem with packet loss for several days. I restarted the network card, formatted the system, changed cable, changed router, disconnected HDD, update drivers, restarted IP, DNS...
  3. Windows 10 lost packets

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 lost packets: HelloI have been having a problem with packet loss for several days. I restarted the network card, formatted the system, changed cable, changed router, disconnected HDD, update drivers, restarted IP, DNS...
  4. Windows 10 lost packets

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. WUDO packet structure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WUDO packet structure: Hello everyone.I have a question. Recently our SOC they send us a alert from a computer that is connect to the guest WIFI is try to talk with other computers at the LAN wired. They questions is what is the packet stracture for the WODU? The packets is sending to multicast ip,...
  6. WUDO packet structure

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WUDO packet structure: Hello everyone.I have a question. Recently our SOC they send us a alert from a computer that is connect to the guest WIFI is try to talk with other computers at the LAN wired. They questions is what is the packet stracture for the WODU? The packets is sending to multicast ip,...
  7. packet loss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    packet loss: how can i stop getting packet loss in the games i play im one a wired connection and i already contacted my internet provider and they said everything was good https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/packet-loss/d0b7b7f2-121e-4fac-9d73-8e4933b61cea
  8. Packet Loss

Packet Loss: I have been experiencing packet loss with the wifi at my college, but it seems that only i am the one having struggles. my roommate is on the same wifi as me and gets a lower ping, and 0 packet loss. is there a problem with my laptop?...
  9. 100% Packet Loss

100% Packet Loss: I've been experiencing this problem for a couple of days now. My wifi works but I either I can't connect to a game or I am getting massive ping spikes every couple of seconds....
  10. Lost files recovery possible here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost files recovery possible here?: So, I've reinstalled my windows 10 using the media creation tool, because I wanted to have a real fresh clean instalation of windows 10, but it went too clean. During the process my whole drive got formatted out of nowhere! Ive been instaling windows for years and...