Windows 10: Possible Malware that Malwarebytes hasn't picked up?

Discus and support Possible Malware that Malwarebytes hasn't picked up? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey, I recently installed a new SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10 onto it. I've had Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on the machine,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KimballDonald, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Possible Malware that Malwarebytes hasn't picked up?

Hey,

I recently installed a new SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10 onto it.

I've had Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on the machine, and roughly used about 94/232 available GB on my drive.

All of a sudden, I get a notification saying my SSD is full - which obviously I've not done. So I reboot, it then says I have 23 GB free. I double check with WinDirStat and I'm only using around 94 GB. So I try scanning with Defender and Malwarebytes, but Malwarebytes is crashing. So I reboot to safe mode, uninstall it, reinstall, and try again. Both scanned fine, but didn't pick anything up.

I hadn't installed any new software or downloaded any new files recently. In fact, I just came back from a vacation and was only playing a Steam game.

Any help?

:)

KimballDonald, Sep 6, 2015
  2. JoeNamco Win User

PC does an unstable usage of disk

Run malwarebytes free sounds like you may have picked up a Virus/malware.

JoeNamco, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Windows Defender, notification saying it has found malware and is removing it

i have tried this and it hasn't worked. have you got any other suggestions ???

A

abbielloyd, Sep 6, 2015
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Possible Malware that Malwarebytes hasn't picked up?

Why are you assuming you have catched some malware? I would start by doing a chkdsk /f on that drive.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 6, 2015
  5. Hey,

Well I did and it didn't help.

I only assume because this seems like an issue usually caused by malware.

I tried a scan with Spybot search and destroy, it removed 20 low level txt files, and it seemed resolved. But about two days later it's full again.

KimballDonald, Sep 9, 2015
  6. robgr Win User
    This likely related to trim, see here

robgr, Sep 9, 2015
  7. Oh, that sounds right. Is it a benefit to keep this feature on? Or should I disable it?

8. Possible Malware that Malwarebytes hasn't picked up?

I tried disabling, but my space only increased by a GB or two, no nearly what I should have. Any suggestions?

9. altae Win User
    If you suspect a malware infection I'd download one of the various live scanners (almost any renown av company offers one), burn it to a cd/ dvd and boot from that disc. Then you can perform a system scan without the possibility that the malware has already disabled the av software. If it finds nothing there is probably no such malware on your pc and the cause for your problems must be something else.

altae, Sep 10, 2015
  10. TrustMe Win User
    Do not keep trim disabled. You SSD needs it.

TrustMe, Sep 10, 2015
  11. Borg 386 Win User
    Since you've already run Malwarebytes & Defender, if you suspect you have an infection, I would suggest you try these scanners & see what they find.

You may wish to run this program before you do a scan with your malware scanners.

RKill

AdwCleaner.

TDSSKiller (Rootkit scanner)

Possible Malware that Malwarebytes hasn't picked up? [​IMG]
    Note When running TDSSKiller, launch the program, click on the blue text "Change Parameters" & check the box marked "Detect TDLFS File system." Click OK & then run the scan.

Borg 386, Sep 10, 2015
  12. altae Win User
    Like I wrote, I'd use a scanner run from a live cd/dvd or usb stick. Any halfway decently written malware will hide itself from scanners run on your Windows system. Live scanners on the other hand usually run on a Linux so there is no way the malware can hide itself from the scanner. I do that on all pcs I suspect to be infected.

altae, Sep 11, 2015
  13. Borg 386 Win User

SuperAntiSpyware makes a portable version you can use/run from a USB.

SUPERAntiSpyware - SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner

If I go to work on someones PC I generally d/l the tools I need to a CD/DVD since there is no way a CD can become infected. Call me paranoid, but I don't feel comfy plugging a USB into a possible infected computer. Even though my USB has been immunized to supposedly prevent such things.

Borg 386, Sep 11, 2015
  14. altae Win User
    Generally that's true but not if you boot an av software based on Linux. Windows viruses cannot be active under Linux meaning they cannot copy themselves onto a usb stick. Unless of course the virus is written for Windows and Linux. But such a sophisticated piece of code is very rare, the possibility of encountering something like that is near to zero.

altae, Sep 11, 2015
  15. Borg 386 Win User
    Yeah that is true, but call me paranoid & in the "why take a chance" crowd. *Smile It was bad enough at the college where we had to use USB's to save our work & lot's of viruses got spread/picked up.

Using a USB immunizer did seem to work good as during a couple lab sessions, most people picked up malware where as I didn't get anything.

Even though, CD's are cheap & I prefer those for putting malware/clean up programs on an infected machine. There are several immunizers out there if you want to have look. Another level of protection never hurts.

USB Immunizer | Bitdefender Labs

Panda USB Vaccine and BitDefender USB Immunizer: Free Tools to Prevent Autorun-Based Malware Attacks - AskVG

Borg 386, Sep 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Possible Malware that Malwarebytes hasn't picked up? - Similar Threads - Possible Malware Malwarebytes

2. Same malware Picked Up By Windows 11 Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Same malware Picked Up By Windows 11 Defender: The Same Malware/RAT Keeps popping up wth the file name "Backdoor:MSIL/AsyncRAT.N!MTB". And Is detected in the discords cache and files. It has only showed up when I downloaded a few files from discord for my visual studio project. Ive tried: -reinstalling discord-redoing my...
  3. Same malware Picked Up By Windows 11 Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Same malware Picked Up By Windows 11 Defender: The Same Malware/RAT Keeps popping up wth the file name "Backdoor:MSIL/AsyncRAT.N!MTB". And Is detected in the discords cache and files. It has only showed up when I downloaded a few files from discord for my visual studio project. Ive tried: -reinstalling discord-redoing my...
  4. Possible Malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible Malware: Recently a computer vendor installed a MS WINDOWS 11 and since then, my PC isn't under my control. It feels like someone else is also using it. After it was installed Microsoft Defender is not accessible/ not available. And there's a strange folder in one of my local disks....
  5. Possible Malware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possible Malware: I was trying to enable Core Isolation on my Windows 11 machine. I get an error about incompatible drivers. When I check, its a file named toupcam.sys.I checked it with Defender, it says no threat was found.I checked it on virus total and it flagged it as malicious, by a...
  6. Possible malware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible malware?: So I don't really know anything but I think there might be a malware in this computer that windows defender cannot detect.My drivers work perfectly fine but today they were kind of off and glitchy. And then I got a warning and shut off the driver. After a while it turned on ,...
  7. Possible malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible malware: Hello, I am completely freaking out and was hoping for some expert advice. I was going to download something from the internet through mega, but without realising it I was redirected to another site which made me download an exe file not my best day. As I proceed and thought...
  8. malware and malwarebytes beta rootkit

malware and malwarebytes beta rootkit: Anyway to get the free malwarebytes beta anti-rootkit to scan a external hard drive for malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/malware-and-malwarebytes-beta-rootkit/87616022-f898-49ed-ad37-b5ab8ee7c27a
  9. Windows Defender not picking up win erx03 malware

Windows Defender not picking up win erx03 malware: Windows defender not stopping this pop up that is impossible to get out of except with c+alt+del. Quick scan doesn't find it, full scan does but will reinfect? Pop up warns that files will be deleted in a number of seconds that count down if don't press update. Any advice?...
  10. Spybot picked up Malware in System32

Spybot picked up Malware in System32: [img] This si what was picked-up from spybot. I'm hesitant to fix the selected items since is in system32. Should i go ahead with the clean up? 54112

Users found this page by searching for:

1. malware bytes hasnt picked up virus