Windows 10: Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card)

Discus and support Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have had Windows 10 pretty much since official release- and it's great! One problem however; it seems to crash every now and then. By... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mechman007, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card)

Hello,

I have had Windows 10 pretty much since official release- and it's great!
    One problem however; it seems to crash every now and then. By crash, I mean the computer freezes up (No BSOD) and I can't move mouse nor turn num-lock off... The only option is to force shut down.
    Sometimes this happens when I'm not on my computer (Come to find it frozen), other times it happens whilst watching YouTube.

Ive tried to find out what is causing the freeze by following online tips- however I cannot pin point this to anything.
    It does seem to always show something related to NVIDIA drivers every time it crashes- the funny thing is, according to my little brother who set up the computer, I shouldn't even have NVIDIA because I don't have that graphic card!

Could this be the problem? Or is there something else causing the freezing?

Below is the details of the NVIDIA 'thing' which may be causing the crashes:
    Source
    NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 266.58

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    ‎24/‎10/‎2015 2:29 PM

Status
    Report sent

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\nvvsvc.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: nvvsvc.exe
    Application Version: 8.17.12.6658
    Application Timestamp: 4d27ce94
    Fault Module Name: nvvsvc.exe
    Fault Module Version: 8.17.12.6658
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4d27ce94
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000000000004cff1
    OS Version: 10.0.10240.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 11e5
    Additional Information 2: 11e595fdd272d3fb7665133f52244099
    Additional Information 3: 1083
    Additional Information 4: 10835a97530ecb53850fe4bef1e45e1c

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: ba9d0d6ab311d3d0b1b81e822f55e9b7 (28137369)

:)

Mechman007, Oct 23, 2015

2. office 2013 on windows 10 updates are broken

On a clean install of Windows 10 pro, office 2013 installed, but updates are throwing errors

Steams games also tend to freeze, possibly a video card driver, NVIDIA has not had good drivers of late

Hardcore Games™, Oct 23, 2015
  3. dorko20 Win User
    Windows 10 update fails in the SECOND_BOOT

Nikolay is right,

the root cause is the Nvidia driver. You can also try to turn off 3D acceleration in your BIOS and windows will start without freezing during the login.

I have also Gigabite U2442 notebook and this issue is annoying. Even my Win8.1 with all updates installed has a problem with the new graphic card driver - it freeze during the login.

Using this notebook without the Nvidia card is quite nonsense, let's hope Microsoft and Nvidia will fix this.

dorko20, Oct 23, 2015
  4. Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card)

Hmm...ok. Can you go to your start menu, open it, type msinfo and run the System Information application?

Once it's open, click the + sign next to Components, then choose Display and either take a screenshot of what's there and upload it in a post, or copy what's there and paste it into your next post. That way, I can see what GPU you have and work from there.

blackroseMD1, Oct 23, 2015
  5. Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card) [​IMG]

Mechman007, Oct 23, 2015
  6. Also, if this helps- I found these on my programs and features.

Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card) [​IMG]

Mechman007, Oct 23, 2015
  7. Weird. Did someone build your computer or did you buy it pre-built? If you bought it pre-built, can you give me the manufacturer and model number? Laptop or desktop?

If there's no Nvidia card in there, then you don't need any Nvidia drivers or software on your computer, but I'd like to make sure of your computer model before I recommend uninstalling that stuff.

8. Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card)

Acer Veriton X6610G
    Pre-built.
    Desktop.

Also if it matters, my little brother did own it before me- he's the one saying it doesn't need NVIDIA.
    These problems have only occurred since having Win 10. Previously I was on Win 7.

Also to note- I do, at times, play games on steam. And as of recent, when I get a new game, I know it installs drivers. Could the newer NVIDIA on the programs list had come from that?

Mechman007, Oct 23, 2015
  9. No...Steam games would never install GPU drivers. Go ahead and uninstall all the Nvidia stuff. Unless your brother once put an Nvidia card in there, which is the only possible scenario that I can think of, then there's no reason those drivers should be on your computer.

10. Thanks for your help! *Smile Just in case of worst case scenario (which I doubt will happen because I trust your judgement on this), could you please provide a link or steps to download those drivers again. *Smile

Mechman007, Oct 23, 2015
  11. Sure thing.

Nvidia drivers can be downloaded from Nvidia's site here: Download Drivers | NVIDIA

Also, those drivers are really, really old. Current main drivers for Nvidia are 358.59. The driver on your system is 266.xx, so even if you do, for some reason, need Nvidia drivers, you should get the newest ones available for your system anyway.

12. derekimo Win User
    derekimo, Oct 23, 2015
  13. Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card)

Well I have uninstalled the PhysX. No noticeable changes to my computer- Should I try a game?

As for the other two, I can't remove them as it comes up with:

Mechman007, Oct 23, 2015
  14. Go ahead and give gaming a shot and see what happens.

Every search I've done shows your system as having integrated Intel graphics, so I'm still not sure why there would be Nvidia drivers on your machine. The fact that there are Nvidia drivers for your model on the Acer website makes me wonder if there were short runs of them with AMD and Nvidia graphics.

Let me know what happens when you fire up a game.

15. Games worked fine as far as I can tell!
    I notice you mention AMD-on my little brother's quick look at my PC, he seemed to find it Odd that I have AMD on startup? Would you say this or no? (Sorry, I have no idea about all these graphics things! haha)

Thanks so much for your help *Smile I'll be sure to post a reference to this forum if I get the freezing happening again incase it was not NVIDIA. I'll mark this as 'solved' after seeing your response about the AMD *Smile

Mechman007, Oct 23, 2015
Thema:

Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card)

1. Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card) - Similar Threads - Possible NVIDIA Driver

2. NVidia Card BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVidia Card BSOD: I've noticed I'm getting Random BSOD restarts. Searching the memory dump file it's again related to the nvlddmkm.sys but the posts are all over a year old and referencing the 20H2 build.I have uninstalled the Intel on chip video card and deleted the NVidia. Installed the...
  3. NVidia Card BSOD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVidia Card BSOD: I've noticed I'm getting Random BSOD restarts. Searching the memory dump file it's again related to the nvlddmkm.sys but the posts are all over a year old and referencing the 20H2 build.I have uninstalled the Intel on chip video card and deleted the NVidia. Installed the...
  4. Nvidia graphic card

Nvidia graphic card: My laptop broke down a few days ago and it got repaired and after the repair i was left in dust i had to start all over without knowing anything I downloaded my games but then realized that there was no graphic card in my laptop I don't know what to download how to download...
  5. Nvidia driver

Nvidia driver: I need help getting nvidia graphics card but i can't find a compatible nvidia driver on my windows 10 build 1909 please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-driver/068fb55a-829b-4f84-970a-9685b9e5ea56
  6. Nvidia driver

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia driver: There are 2 types of drivers for nvidia graphics card, dch and standard. What are the difference ? I am confuse and which what should I use ? 166926
  7. Nvidia graphics card

Nvidia graphics card: Hello! I have a pc with a Gigabyte A320M-S2H motherboard AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Vega 8 graphics. I have purchased a Nvidia GTX1050TI graphics card. When I first installed the graphics card and powered up the screen was 800 x 600. I inserted the driver disk that came with the...
  8. Nvidia Driver

Nvidia Driver: Nvidia display driver problem[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-driver/84d9bcd2-a355-4024-9f1a-d8583b87b57f
  9. System crashing and freezing with nvidia cards

System crashing and freezing with nvidia cards: Recently got a EVGA 1050 ti FTW to replace my R9 270X which died a while ago. The card comes in and immediately after installing it I get power on issues. Eventually I manage to get into Windows. But then Windows crashes. The machine will power on for a few seconds then...
  10. Nvidia Driver

Nvidia Driver: I'm a bit confused. I have the latest Nvidia driver installed but WU has come up today telling me to install Nvidia driver update for Nvidia High Definition Audio. At 264Mb I'm not sure if this is the video driver or for audio. I don't use their audio anyway as I have a good...