Windows 10: Possible Solution to Win 10 WiFi Connection Problems

Discus and support Possible Solution to Win 10 WiFi Connection Problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; PC - Toshiba with Atheros AR9002WB chipset. Symptom - After upgrading to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro, my wifi connection started to periodically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StrongEagle, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Possible Solution to Win 10 WiFi Connection Problems

PC - Toshiba with Atheros AR9002WB chipset.

Symptom - After upgrading to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro, my wifi connection started to periodically drop... that is, more specifically, I was unable to access any internet communications. This would happen most often overnight, but occasionally after several hours of use in the daytime.

Disabling and enabling the wifi adapter did no good... I had to completely reboot in order to restore access. Upgrading to a different/newer driver made no difference.

And then, last night, when it failed again, I found out that while I could not access the internet, I could readily access the router via its IP address typed into a browser bar.

How weird is that? It demonstrates that the wifi connection to the router is definitely present and functional.

So... back to the Win 10 PC... I check out the properties of the TCP IPv4 connection... the RadioBox "Obtain the DNS Server Address Automatically".

I unchecked this box and manually entered the IP address of my router which I have set up for external DNS lookup. As soon as I saved the changes, my internet access was restored... no reboot... no nuthin'!

I conclude there is an issue with automatically obtaining a DNS server IP address although I have no idea of how to verify, except perhaps go back to auto DNS, then the next time it fails, see what ipconfig has to say.

Cheers.

:)

StrongEagle, Nov 24, 2015
  2. iriswaba Win User

Wi-Fi connection breaking since upgrading to Windows 10.

Original Title: Intermittent network failure Win10

Dear all,

System details: Dell inspiron M731R-573S

Problem:

intermittent network access under Windows 10

Details:

ever since updating the operating system to Windows 10 network connections via WiFi are compromised. I can at times connect to routers (different routers/locations tested), but often the connection drops. At times it tries to reconnect, but not always.

At exactly the same time / same network other devices have perfect WiFi connection and internet access (other laptops, cell phones, tablets)

The very same machine also has Linux (Mint 17.3) OS, and using this system it is possible to connect to the same WiFi systems and hve Internet access without interruption, so hardware seems OK.

Max uptime of network connection under windows 10 has been 1 hour, but there have also been sessions that access was not possible at all.

Reboot sometimes works, but sometimes after reboot there is still no possibility to connect.

In general the machine under Win 10 has suffered a huge performance loss, and it takes long to boot or start up any application. This was much better under Win 8.1 that it was bought with. With Win 8.1 also the network functioned properly.

Actually I would love to roll back the installation to Win 8.1. If that is not possible please help me regain stable connection.

iriswaba, Nov 24, 2015
  3. lumia 920 has no wifi connection after win 8.1 upgrade

I had no problems with connecting to WiFi with my Nokia Lumina 920 phone. After the win 8.1 upgrade, the WiFi no longer works. I get "Can't connect, Your phone can't connect to the Wi-Fi network {my network name}. Any solutions?

MindyStoff, Nov 24, 2015
  4. Almighty1 Win User

Possible Solution to Win 10 WiFi Connection Problems

What version drivers are you using?

Almighty1, Nov 26, 2015
  5. I had 10.0.0.251 and found a website that had a 10.0.298. Made no difference.

Since I specified a DNS server I have not had a single drop... three days now and counting.

StrongEagle, Dec 1, 2015
  6. Almighty1 Win User
    Both of those are old, 10.0.0.326 might be better... Is your DNS setup correctly on the router?

Almighty1, Dec 1, 2015
  7. Yes. As I said, changing from "Obtain the DNS Server Address Automatically" to specifying the router IP address made all the difference.

If I ever catch a break, I'm going to put it back to auto DNS address, wait for it to fail again, then see what ipconfig has to say about available DNS servers.

StrongEagle, Dec 1, 2015
  8. Almighty1 Win User

All you really have to do is allow it to obtain the DNS Server Address Automatically, then command prompt,
    do a nslookup Google and see if it actually queries or not and it will list the DNSes it used. ipconfig depending on the router is supposed to show the router's IP as it will basically query the router who will forward the request to the actually DNS servers.

Almighty1, Dec 1, 2015
  9. After having no connection problems since my last post two weeks ago, I experienced a wifi loss on Saturday. Other devices, like my phone, that were connected to the router, were fine.

As before, I was able to bring up the admin pages of the router without problem, and the settings were the same as I have previously left them. There was nothing obvious that would have caused my wifi to quit working.

For fun, instead of rebooting my PC as I have in the past, I rebooted the router. This worked just fine.

I still don't know any more about the root cause, though.

StrongEagle, Dec 13, 2015
  10. Poyda123 Win User
    Having same problem. Next failure check WLAN Auto Config in MSC and check if its working. Mine keeps dropping. Also on one occasion I had several spurious DNS addresses added to my TCPIPv4 properties. I dont run DHCP on router, all devices on my home network have their own ip address and this laptop, being the only one running win10 and connecting wifi is the only device having connection dropping problems.

Poyda123, Dec 14, 2015
  11. Poyda123 Win User
    Still looking for a fix. Narrowed it down to WLAN Auto Config Service dropping out. As soon as I restart it, connection is restored until next dropout.

Poyda123, Dec 16, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Anything show in Event Viewer when the drop occurs?

Ztruker, Dec 17, 2015
  13. Poyda123 Win User

How strange, not! The windows update of 19dec suddenly fixes the problem and no more drop outs.
    Like Apple too, sometimes MS refuse to acknowledge a problem, then quietly issue a fix hidden in an some update or other.

Poyda123, Dec 20, 2015
  14. ksio89 Win User
    I'm also having this issue with build 10586.36. After a few hours, internet connection just stops working, either by wifi or wired. Disabling NetBios in Wi-FI adapter TCP/IPv4 doesn't fix it. The only way to fix it is restarting Windows. I get the message that "one or more Network Protocols are missing on this computer, also Windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing." when I run the troubleshooter.

ksio89, Dec 20, 2015
  15. mpham258 Win User
    What do u mean by restarting window?

mpham258, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Possible Solution to Win 10 WiFi Connection Problems - Similar Threads - Possible Solution WiFi

2. WiFi Connection Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi Connection Problem: Hey there!I have installed dual band wifi i.e 2g and 5g. But I have not able to connect to 5g network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-connection-problem/5113afc6-630f-436c-b128-23b8bad347ef
  3. A possible solution to Wifi USB adapter constantly disconnecting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A possible solution to Wifi USB adapter constantly disconnecting in Windows 10: Since I have bought a new computer I have been using a wireless USB adapter that I previously used on my old windows 7 PC, it's worth mentioning that this new PC I have requires a fair bit of power. Anyway I had been having this problem where it would constantly drop out at...
  4. Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related?: Since three days ago, every time I restart (or start from cold) the laptop, I get a black screen with an error text message on a blue background. Looks like something related to BIOS, but I am a bit clueless when it comes to the nitty-gritty of hardware. The error message...
  5. Windows 10 wifi connection problem.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 wifi connection problem.: Hello, I am a windows 10 laptop user.This is my laptop specs: Asus tuf fx505dt amd ryzen 5 3550h nvidia gtx 1650 8gb ram 1tb hdd I've been using windows 10 for a long time.But from today morning i am facing a weird problem.My laptop wifi is not connecting to any...
  6. Best solution for my WiFi problem?

Best solution for my WiFi problem?: So my ISP provided me with a bad router that has bad signal. The router sits in the living room, and that's pretty much the only place the WiFi signal is strong enough. When I go to the other rooms, which aren't too far, the signal drops to zero, i.e no internet. Maybe the...
  7. Possible OneDrive solution?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible OneDrive solution?: Hello, all! I'll cut right to the chase. Got a new SSHD, reinstalled Windows to it, been through this process a few times, yadda yadda yadda. HOWEVER during the installation process (because I have been through this process a few times now), I sped my way through the...
  8. Wifi Connectivity Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wifi Connectivity Problem: [ATTACH] I have tried updating wifi driver, rollback wifi driver, Resetting tcp, tried power-saving mode ones too. But the wifi keeps disconnecting after a minute or two. Every time I have to manually disconnect and connect again. Other devices just work fine. Please help...
  9. internet Connection problems and solutions

internet Connection problems and solutions: This is for an online class I currently attending. I need information of possible troubleshooting information. Articles on limited connections would be appreciated!...
  10. Solution to my wifi cant connect

Solution to my wifi cant connect: My laptop can't connect to any wifi available while my phones are connecting and no problems, I tried network reset but it doesn't work, reinstall and uninstall the wifi adapter/driver but no changes. How can I fixed it ? it has an "*" asterisks on wifi symbol......