Windows 10: Possible to Install New Instance of Win10 In the Background??

Discus and support Possible to Install New Instance of Win10 In the Background?? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am not the most computer savvy, but I am trying to install an new instance (let's call it "B") of Win10 while the computer is running without majorly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jrome487, Dec 13, 2017.

1. jrome487 Win User

Possible to Install New Instance of Win10 In the Background??

I am not the most computer savvy, but I am trying to install an new instance (let's call it "B") of Win10 while the computer is running without majorly affecting the performance of the operating instance (let's call it "A"). I would like to be able to fully use the system while the installation is running, and then be able to switch over to instance B within 10-20 minutes of system downtime (via reboot, installation screen, etc. ). Currently I use a clone image to overwrite the existing instance, but I would like to eliminate the downtime associated with deploying the clone. Any ideas of how to do this? *Think

Please let me know if I need to elaborate or clarify.

Thanks in advance!

:)

jrome487, Dec 13, 2017

2. Is it possible to aquire the install date of the previous version of Windows?

My PC has Windows 10, and the install date provided by [systeminfo | find /i "date"] is June 17th, 2017. But that's not the date I'm, interested in. I want to know the date for when the previous version of Windows (in this case,
    Windows 7) was installed on this computer. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance!

-stian

StianSæther, Dec 13, 2017
  3. Is it possible to aquire the install date of the previous version of Windows?

Have a look at the creation dates of the folders in the root of C:. Manufacturers often create their own folders there. They would not be affected by an upgrade. This console command will quickly tell you:

dir C:\ /od /tc

Frederik Long, Dec 13, 2017
  4. dmholt57 Win User

...two different partitions using two different keys?

dmholt57, Dec 13, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Run setup.exe from the \Sources folder of the mounted Windows 10 ISO file

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    But once that kicks in OP will no longer have control of PC until installation is finished.

The way to do this is easy enough if using PRO ie create a hyper-v vm and install OS in a virtual hard drive. Then once done, simply add vhd as a host boot option.

One can probably do same in Home using virtualbox or vmware but OP might need to convert there virtual hard drive to .vhd(x) format. Not sure if they can handle .vhd(x) directly.

cereberus, Dec 13, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    Or you could apply the wim to partition using Expand-WindowsImage and then add the boot menu entry (if it doesn't exist) using bcdboot.

Something like:
    Code: Expand-WindowsImage -ImagePath "e:\sources\install.wim" -ApplyPath "d:\" bcdboot "d:\Windows"[/quote] When you reboot to new instance it will start from OOBE (where you enter your user name and choose your settings and so on.).

8. cereberus Win User

When you reboot to new instance it will start from OOBE (where you enter your user name and choose your settings and so on.).[/quote] Neat.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Possible to Install New Instance of Win10 In the Background?? - Similar Threads - Possible Install Instance

2. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  3. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  4. Installing new instance of Windows 10 but is automatically activated?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing new instance of Windows 10 but is automatically activated?: I've got this computer I replaced the hard drive on. It had Windows 7 on it and I purchased a Windows 10 Home OEM license key from Microcenter. I used a USB stick I created using the Windows Install Media Creation Tool. When the machine booted up, it was already activated!...
  5. new installation of win10 program

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation of win10 program: where can I get a valid copy of win10 and will it be suitable to install on the latest eufi bios via a flashdrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-installation-of-win10-program/512202ad-eea3-404c-8409-5ef003c789c0
  6. BSOD on new Win10 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on new Win10 install: I have been getting continuous BSODs after a clean install on windows 10. Mostly IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL or DRIVER_IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL but also some other kinds. I have tried installing all I think... the drivers, but am still having issues. I thought it might be a RAM...
  7. Installing Win10 on new machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on new machine: Hey everyone, I'm selling a PC and am looking to install Windows on it for the new user. I have my own system with an ISO for Windows 10, as well as a blank 1TB hard drive intended for the PC being sold. I'm not entirely sure how to install the ISO on the blank hard drive so...
  8. no background Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    no background Win10: Ever since 1903 I have no background (picture or theme) in tablet mode. I have gone through all the switches in color, background etc. Nothing changes. The tiles are fine. When I toggle off tablet to the old desktop everything looks fine....
  9. Win10 digital licence transfer to a new pc...POSSIBLE???

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 digital licence transfer to a new pc...POSSIBLE???: Hi there! Could anyone help me out with this.... before i had win7 product and i got a free to win10 and i updrageded it, in my activation status it says that windows is digitally licenced to ur Microsoft account and i no where find my win7 product key...now the problem...
  10. BSOD on new Win10 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on new Win10 install: Hi, I was getting BSODs on a Win10 upgrade installation every time I run DOTA; sometimes it would take 2 minutes, sometimes it would take 10minutes. It would also rarely crash randomly when I left the PC on after web browsing. Pretty much it would crash every time I use it....