Windows 10: Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot)

Discus and support Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I'm wondering if is this possible! For example 1 partition with windows 10, another one with linux. I start my computer and both systems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alesyt0h, Aug 6, 2015.

1. alesyt0h Win User

Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot)

Hello!

I'm wondering if is this possible!

For example 1 partition with windows 10, another one with linux. I start my computer and both systems will run, windows 10 as default system and with a simple hotkey, I change my screen to the linux system.

I am dreaming?

:)

alesyt0h, Aug 6, 2015
  2. sillysoft Win User
    sillysoft, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Dual Sim, using 2 sims at the same time...?

Hi andyh

I currently use a 13th generation dual SIM holder in N70 and as another poster suggested you can set up a call divert to your Orange PAYG, but as two the SIMs are in the phone you can restart it on Orange from phone interface to call out if you wish. You don't
    have to do a full reboot but it probably takes about 30 seconds to switch over.

If I understand it correctly even if some dual SIM holders say 3G compatible you may not be able to make a GPRS data connection.

scoobyman---01, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot)

Not the way you described. With two OSs, each in its own partition, only one can be running at a time.

If you had both OSs in the same partition, with one installed inside a VM, then you could toggle back and forth between the two, but you'd need a powerful enough machine to run two OSs, basically, I'd recommend at least 4GB of memory and a multicore processor.

Mark Phelps, Aug 6, 2015
  5. alesyt0h Win User
    Well, I have intel i7 and 16gb ram, already tried vmware but didnt work for what I want so..

I have 2 physical disk, if I install one OS in each one I can do it?

For example: I start my computer with my main OS (Windows 10) and then inside with hotkey or something I start the other OS (Windows 7), and change betwen them without restart.

Thanks!

alesyt0h, Aug 6, 2015
  6. NUS
    Nus Win User
    A Virtual Machine is the only way to do this, and your system should be more than capable of running Linux in a VM.

The disk/partition arrangement is irrelevant; a PC can have only one 'real' OS running, this a fundamental concept.

Virtual Machines run within the context of the one 'real' OS.

7. Maggelan Win User
    Sadly what Nus is saying is correct, there is no way to make 2 OS's run at the same time without using a VM.

Nus describes at as a fundamental part of how a pc works and this is correct also in that it's the operating system which allocates memory and resources made available by what you put in. There is currently no way to do what you describe at a hardware level because essentially what you would need is another OS controlling what the other 2 OS's are using.

So you could either run Windows 10 and VM Linux or the other way around, Or you could VM both using another OS entirely. which would lead to some flaky performance without having commercial grade hardware to do it.

Maggelan, Aug 7, 2015
  8. alesyt0h Win User

okay guys! Thanks so much for all your responses!

Solved

alesyt0h, Aug 7, 2015
  9. I don't know if. You still want to do this but it IS possible to do it with the help of one of LinusTechTips older videos.

sparkie5571, Nov 20, 2016
  10. altae Win User
    No it's not. One piece of hardware = one os. You can of course virtualize the hell out of your machine, running 10 different operating systems concurrently. But you cannot run more than one os directly onto your hardware.

altae, Nov 20, 2016
  11. Well yes, it is technically a virtualized machine but it shows no (almost no ((as in margin of error difference))) in framer are or processing power.

sparkie5571, Nov 21, 2016
  12. Now, what you're saying is possible and it will be virtualized. However it's not the virtuilization that you think. It ISN'T vmware or virtualbox. It IS an almost external software that uses both your hard drives (it makes you format the hard drives however I don't know that this is needed) and let's you pick which cpu comes to use for what os and what gpu to use also.

sparkie5571, Nov 21, 2016
  13. Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot)

Perfectly correct!

sparkie5571, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot) - Similar Threads - Possible power same

2. Dual Booting with Different OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Booting with Different OS: Hi, I have got a workstation with preinstalled windows 11. I want to work on some softwares which run on Linux. Would it be possible for me to install Linux in the same workstation without loosing the windows 11 ? With dual booting is there a chance of loosing licensing an...
  3. Dual boot Win10 and Win11 on same SSD, different partitions possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10 and Win11 on same SSD, different partitions possible?: Hi,I HATE Win11, yea, REALLY, but it runs my 3D-CAD software faster Alder Lake, so i though i would make a work-boot with Win11 and then keep the Win10 for everything else. Is this possible? Reading about people getting problems with their product keys. Will i also need 2...
  4. Dual-Boots OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Boots OS: Hello, I am a Gamer Who is Having a Very Old PC bought at 2012 I am Using Windows 10, My PC Has 2GB RAM, and 2.8GHz Intel Pentium Processor. Windows 10 uses huge amount of ram, especially Windows Security Uses it. Normally, The Windows 10 Uses Half Of My RAM 47~60%...
  5. Is it possible to connect to 2 networks at the same time?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to connect to 2 networks at the same time?: I'm currently using my cellular data hotspot via my phone and a filtered wifi connection that I'm bypassing with a VPN. The only issue, is that using a VPN on an already slow wifi connection, just completely spikes up my ping in the range of the 200s, making simple tasks like...
  6. 2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?: I have already checked that the process to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop to the equivalent Win 10 runs smoothly keeping almost every application and all data perfect. The point is that I have a rather complex (for me) configuration in an HP system with two Win...
  7. Dual boot Phoenix OS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot Phoenix OS: Hi ! I have a HP 15 da0002tu notebook preinstalled Windows 10 . I need to dual boot windows and phoenix os. So I installed phoenix os to my harddrive from the exe installer. It installed successfully but when I turn on my laptop it keeps boot directly to windows 10 without...
  8. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  9. Is it possible to make it dual boot?

Is it possible to make it dual boot?: I had to replace the Hard Disk on my Lenovo Flex14. I was running it in dual boot - Win10 and Linux. I set up the entire drive under NTFS. Now is it possible to make it dual boot. Also, I am on Win10 Single Language (ie Home). Is there any way to run a virtual machine in...
  10. Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time

Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time: I have a computer that is a few years old and in need of a rebuild, by which I mean reformat the disk and reinstall everything. The issue is that this computer is currently a dual boot arrangement with Windows 7 first then Windows 10, Creators Upgrade. I want the end...