Windows 10: Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers?

Discus and support Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; As far as I know its a function of the Video card. If I have one monitor plugged in it is 1, regardless of what port it's plugged into. Plug a second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by parkersblock, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers?

As far as I know its a function of the Video card. If I have one monitor plugged in it is 1, regardless of what port it's plugged into. Plug a second monitor in and it may change to 2 and the one I just connected becomes 1. It all depends on what ports are in use. Plug a third monitor in and they could all cycle again, or not change. Depending on what monitor is plugged into what port. If I remember correctly, with three monitors plugged in the monitor plugged into my HDMI is 1 and the DVI are 2 and 3. I'm on my laptop at the moment. It shows my laptops built in display as 1 and my USB displaylink as 2.

alphanumeric, Apr 26, 2018
  2. Edwin New Member

You have to swap the cables on the back of the monitors, not the tower.

Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers? [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 28, 2018
  3. djbillyd Win User
    Aesthetics. When we set up our systems, we set up for the MAIN monitor to be the No. 1 monitor in our settings. Our resolution, our placements, the way we work with our systems. It's also that we want autonomy over the systems we build. Not an issue to you? OK. To me, major bucks!!!

djbillyd, Apr 28, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers?

I, on the contrary, want my monitor array to be in order, while my main monitor is #2, where all downloads and screenshots etc. land, as I have browser in full screen always on #1 and media on #3...

Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers? [​IMG]

BTW, if you Identify monitors then minimize the Settings App quickly, the identity numbers remain on screen indefinitely, until you restore the Settings App.

Edwin, Apr 29, 2018
  5. djbillyd Win User
    I guess I've been fortunate because, the systems where I really NEEDED my array to be functionally sequential, that's what I got..., from the start. Why the others don't align, I seriously don't know.

djbillyd, Apr 29, 2018
Thema:

Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers?

1. Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers? - Similar Threads - Possible assign monitor

2. Keyboard Keys Re-assignment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Keys Re-assignment: How do I re-assign keyboard keys in settings? None of the keyboard menus answer this question. The keys I want to re-assign are the @ key and " key, which are currently swapped, and the hash key, which produces a £ sign....
  3. Keyboard Keys Re-assignment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Keys Re-assignment: How do I re-assign keyboard keys in settings? None of the keyboard menus answer this question. The keys I want to re-assign are the @ key and " key, which are currently swapped, and the hash key, which produces a £ sign....
  4. How do you change assigned monitor numbers ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you change assigned monitor numbers ?: This is the current state, I want the number 2 to be number 1. Let me clarify however:- I am NOT looking to swap positions of monitors/ dragging them around, this is their correct configuration- I am NOT looking to change the main display I simply want the assigned number to...
  5. How do you change assigned monitor numbers ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you change assigned monitor numbers ?: This is the current state, I want the number 2 to be number 1. Let me clarify however:- I am NOT looking to swap positions of monitors/ dragging them around, this is their correct configuration- I am NOT looking to change the main display I simply want the assigned number to...
  6. How do you change assigned monitor numbers ?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2: I looked at a few posts. I tried the reg edit thing but it just made it back to the wrong order. I want to fix this because I want my main monitor in the middle to be 1 and the other 2. Help would be appreciated!...
  8. Possible identity theft

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible identity theft: [IMG]Is this real? I tried going into my security to scan possible threats and the scan came back as 0 threats. Im not sure what to do. I did call the number that is on the screen, but it was busy....
  9. Is it possible to change the number of a monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change the number of a monitor?: Hi everyone I use a dual monitor setup one for gaming and one 12bit hdr panel for productivity. Usually my gaming monitor would be on the right but I've switched the monitors around as I get about 60 fps on all my games anyway so I'd prefer to play them with colour accuracy...
  10. monitor Display Identities.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor Display Identities.: Hi, I have a AMD R9 280 video card. I am running Windows 10. I have a new LG 27" lcd desktop monitor, and a 40" Panasonic plasma wall mounted, for watching movies. Outputs from my vid card are hdmi out to lg, displayport out to hdmi in on my surround sound receiver that is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. assign monitor number

2. reassign monitor number

3. how to reassign monitor numbers